Swype getting worse?

Bdog

Reaction score
I've been using Swype since May, and it was a champ! I was able to drunk text with the best of them. When the previous beta expired (in June or July?) and I got the new one, the accuracy on my phone has pretty much disappeared, no matter how I work the settings around. I have to slow down all my texts and even then if I'm not RIGHT ON the letter, it will mess up the entire word.

Want has been replaced by wasn't. Too will always come before to. I'm is now inn. And it's all words you can't exactly remove from the Swype dictionary... Just now I sent a text, typed "I want something totally different..." and Swype configured it to "u wasn't Aubergine royally diffused:) "

It's getting pretty ridiculous how many typos I get now, and embarrassing when I have to correct it after sending because I was too rushed to proofread. And it's not like a reinstall will help.. I've flashed numerous ROMs since.

Is anyone else having these problems with Swype? Have any of the other sliding keyboards gotten less bulky feeling yet? I'm seriously getting ready to switch

dg36912

Reaction score
same issue

i have been having the same issue with my swype as well but just thought it was my error, especially when typing want and always getting wasnt as well as the other errors you stated in your thread. hopefully it will get fixed soon?

tktouch12

Reaction score
i agree! it is definitely worse. it used to be so go, but now its terrible

EbE404

Reaction score
I've been part of the official beta since they released it. I guess, I can say that after the last major update, I was having some accuracy issues, but then I dug into the settings and saw that the accuracy and speed settings had been changed from what I had been using and what the defaults in the first beta were. After I changed those, I haven't had any problems.

Now, you say that you have tried adjusting them and they have not helped, so that leaves me to wonder if there might be something caused by the Swype learning process that causes it to get less accurate over time as it builds its dictionary and "learns".

Since I have uninstalled and re-installed rather often, perhaps mine just hasn't gotten to that point, since each time that is done, you essentially start from scratch.

Have your tried re-installing to see if that gets it back to where it was?

OP
B

Bdog

Reaction score
it's not like a reinstall will help.. I've flashed numerous ROMs...

It has nothing to do with learning and re-learning words. It's either words that are (I guess what the devs believe) are used most often, or words that I never have or never will use. And for a month straight, I was starting from scratch approximately every 3 days or so, installing new ROMs

iPirate

Reaction score
Swype got worse the more I used it so I uninstalled it :(

marcogiudice

Reaction score
you couldnt of said it better i noticed after last update that swype got alot worse also.. and i do more proof reading and fixing type o's then ever. and messing with the setting didnt help either.. try slideit kb the app its works good to... but ya swype is really starting to get annoying.. when i swypethe word (for) i get the word (fore) it really annoying want comes out wasnt ect...

SonRK

Reaction score
And here I was, thinking that I was actually getting worse or swyping too fast.

I have definitely noticed that it has become severely less accurate. Words that it automatically knew, or that I never had to go into the drop down menu to change started showing up differently

It's not long as accurate as it once for me.

anuraj1

Reaction score
I've been having more and more trouble with it too.

The "too" instead of "to" and the "wasn't" instead of "want" drives me frickin nuts.

The original leaked version or the first beta (which is now expired) worked way better for me.

billyk

Reaction score
Guess I am the anti-Christ here.

I've been using it since day 1 of it's availability, I've been a part of the beta since that started, and it works great. I use it all the time - now with Froyo. Just awesome!

EbE404

Reaction score
Guess I am the anti-Christ here.

I've been using it since day 1 of it's availability, I've been a part of the beta since that started, and it works great. I use it all the time - now with Froyo. Just awesome!

You're not alone.

Nope, thats a +1 from me as well. As I mentioned, after the last update, I did need to readjust my settings, but it's been fine otherwise. I'm also part of the official beta.

For the folks that are having problems, could you let us know what version you have and if they are the official beta releases or one of the leaks?

JimmyD

Reaction score
I'm also experiencing the wasn't / want and too / to auto correction hassles. :(