surf only on wifi

kadosh1000

Reaction score
is it possible to make the browser and other internet use apps work only if i connected to wifi?
or
is it possible to turn off the 3g surfing, so i'll be able to get calls but not to surf or use it as an intenet connection?

OP
K

kadosh1000

Reaction score
I'm not from the US so i don't have the unlimited plan, if I had it I wouldn't post that thread.
So people is there a way or isn't?

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
If you are connected to wifi, 3G should turn off. Something like SwitchPro Widget - Android app on AppBrain or one of the various other widgets that can disable data should disable 3G for you when not on wifi.

There are other apps that can disable data too, but switchpro is the first one that comes to mind.

jacobrv

Reaction score
If you want 3g totally off for a given period of time then turn off:
Menu => Settings => Wireless & network settings => Mobile network settings => Data enabled

OP
K

kadosh1000

Reaction score
I have a milestone, but I don't have an unlimited plan

Last edited:

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Moved to correct sub-forum.

Arkainzeye

Reaction score
On my Droid, when wifi is turned on it doesn't use 3G. Unless I am out range with the wifi..

serrov91

Reaction score
I used to have a no-data plan like you.. (Switzerland)

And I've been using APNdroid from the market (free and simplest to use!).. There's only one button to press on this app, so don't worry to get lost!

It stops all the apps and browser to connect to the web, but you get your phone calls without any trouble.. once you turn on your wifi, you'll be able to surf through internet.

Christoph3r

Reaction score
The data plan is unlimited so does it really matter?
Isn't it obvious that the OP does not, or will not, have an unlimited data plan from his question? It was to me anyway.

I would also assume that he does not want to use 3g data, regardless of whether wifi is connected or not, UNLESS he specifically turns on 3g data for a limited time.

Ideally, one would be able to turn 3g data to be off by default and have a program which would allow one to temporarily turn on 3g data conditionally constrained with options such as "on for one hour" or "on until I use 5 mb" or "warn me when I go over 10 mb and shut off when I reach 15 mb.

Menu => Settings => Wireless & network settings => Mobile network settings => Data enabled

Thank you for the helpful information. I have a different phone, but I will look for a similar setting. I also have an Android phone (Fascinate, on Verizon atm) and will be switching to another carrier without unlimited data plan (Page Plus, I'm thinking).
I used to have a no-data plan like you.. (Switzerland) And I've been using APNdroid from the market (free and simplest to use!).. There's only one button to press on this app, so don't worry to get lost!

It stops all the apps and browser to connect to the web, but you get your phone calls without any trouble.. once you turn on your wifi, you'll be able to surf through internet.
It automatically enables Internet whenever wifi is on? That sounds GREAT! Thank you!

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
The data plan is unlimited so does it really matter?
Isn't it obvious that the OP does not, or will not, have an unlimited data plan from his question? It was to me anyway.

I would also assume that he does not want to use 3g data, regardless of whether wifi is connected or not, UNLESS he specifically turns on 3g data for a limited time.

Ideally, one would be able to turn 3g data to be off by default and have a program which would allow one to temporarily turn on 3g data conditionally constrained with options such as "on for one hour" or "on until I use 5 mb" or "warn me when I go over 10 mb and shut off when I reach 15 mb.

Thank you for the helpful information. I have a different phone, but I will look for a similar setting. I also have an Android phone (Fascinate, on Verizon atm) and will be switching to another carrier without unlimited data plan (Page Plus, I'm thinking).
I used to have a no-data plan like you.. (Switzerland) And I've been using APNdroid from the market (free and simplest to use!).. There's only one button to press on this app, so don't worry to get lost!

It automatically enables Internet whenever wifi is on? That sounds GREAT! Thank you!
Haha was this bump necessary? You don't ask a question only stated things ...Which is completely useless to flame somebody months later. 0.o I do love my comment though, must have been out of it or something.