[Sunday Evening Chat] Project Ara

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
phonebloks-hd.jpg

Friday we got a glimpse of what Google is trying to do with the future of the smart phone industry. Android was first released to the public in 2008 and had a wide spread release in November 2009 with the Motorola Droid. From there it took 3-4 years before OEMS and Google matched both software and hardware to take full advantage of each others full capabilities. What Android managed to do was spark interest in software development. People from all over and all ages got into some form of software development whether it be in the form of customized roms or app development. Clearly the software innovation of rom developers has had a major input on the direction that Android devices have gone. Google with project Ara is looking to capture that same lightning in the bottle and build the same kind of excitement and innovation in the hardware area.

This brings me to my first question. Will Google be able to create the same kind of underground grass roots effort in the hardware aspect as they have on the software side?

How long will it take for us to fully see the benefit or before manufacturers take full advantage of project ara and become the "Samsung" of the Ara industry?

How long will we get from before the concept reaches maturity (ie we can argue that we did not begin to see android become a software that was on par with ios,the top phone os at the time, until Jelly Bean which took 4 years)?

What manufacturers would you like to see embrace the phone block idea?

How long until phone blocks become a device that is practical, functionally, and aesthetically pleasing?

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I feel the people that are die hard Nexus fans will adobe Ara just fine. It would allow us even more control over our devices. The rest of the population that uses Android, I don't know. Look at the basic user, they want a camera. If they knew anything about cameras they would own a DSLR or anything better than a phone for a camera. Others want to text, facebook, twitter, etc. You can do that on the cheapest/free smartphone that was released two years ago.

I really don't know how long until others start building modules for it. Samsung is a huge leader in Android right now. I have no doubt they won't be jumping on the modular train any time soon. They want their stuff packaged neatly together and not modifiable. I think the same is for Moto, HTC an LG. I can see NVidia releasing modules for their Tegra chips, thats what they do.

I think Google will continue to push Ara and release it. I think they have broader ideas for it than just smart phones.

I really think companies are going to try to road block the modular phone for a while. I see companies also releasing upgraded parts that don't work with older models and will require you to upgrade. They are going to continue to find ways to bleed your wallet.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I feel the people that are die hard Nexus fans will adobe Ara just fine. It would allow us even more control over our devices. The rest of the population that uses Android, I don't know. Look at the basic user, they want a camera. If they knew anything about cameras they would own a DSLR or anything better than a phone for a camera. Others want to text, facebook, twitter, etc. You can do that on the cheapest/free smartphone that was released two years ago.

I really don't know how long until others start building modules for it. Samsung is a huge leader in Android right now. I have no doubt they won't be jumping on the modular train any time soon. They want their stuff packaged neatly together and not modifiable. I think the same is for Moto, HTC an LG. I can see NVidia releasing modules for their Tegra chips, thats what they do.

I think Google will continue to push Ara and release it. I think they have broader ideas for it than just smart phones.

I really think companies are going to try to road block the modular phone for a while. I see companies also releasing upgraded parts that don't work with older models and will require you to upgrade. They are going to continue to find ways to bleed your wallet.

Yeah I think it could truly be more of a benefit for tablets and chromebooks.

hradek422

Reaction score
I'm actually really intrigued by this idea. I've thought for a while now, that you can go out and buy a computer already made, or you can make your own. Not everyone WANTS to make their own computer, but there are the people out there who do, and those same people are the ones who would like to build their own phone. I'm included in that group.

I don't necessarily like the block design, but it's a start; a step in the right direction. I want to have a phone that has all of the specs that I want in it. I want an awesome camera. I want a kick-ass media device. I want it to have massive processing power and unmatched speed. I want great quality and clarity on the screen. What's that, you say? The Galaxy line already has that? Yeah, for the most part, and I'm very happy with my Note 3.... but I didn't build it. It's not MY creation. This would be a true "User's Phone." Imagine, no bloat... install your own OS without having it themed by the manufacturer.

It would be great if they were able to get a lot of companies on board with this, specifically Samsung (for my taste personally). If they made this project to where companies are FORCED to play nice and make all their parts with the same types of connections, so that the user can pick which part they want for each specific piece. Let's say I want the guts to be Samsung, and I want a Lumia-like camera, and an HTC Beats Audio speaker/headphone jack... and a big Samsung screen with a pen similar to the Note 3's pen. I could have all of that if they force companies to play nice in order to participate in the project.

I dunno, just spit-balling ideas. I really like this concept.