Suggestions....Currently a Droid 2 User....

SolomonMan

Reaction score
All,
My Wife and I about 4 years ago bought 2 - Droid 2 (955) from Verizon with Contract. If my memory serves me correctly at the cost close to $400 for the pair.

Anyways about 8 months back my wife lost hers and my screen was not always responding as it used to. So my wife and I then purchased 2 Droid - 2 Globals (956) that were new from EBay ($100 for the pair) mainly due to the arrival of our third child which prevented expenditures of newer model phones.

So we have not been under contract (month to month) and I have one of those truly unlimited data plans which complicates matters on just upgrading and getting another contract.

Recently had a job change (Software Engineer) which landed me into a new position where my cell phone is 100% covered (not the wife of course) but I must be Android version 3.0 and up or a I-phone IOS 5. Realistically I will probably end up buying two new phones not just my phone for my work situation.

Not being a Apple fan (I grew up in the Atari, Commodore, Apple era) I would like to stick with a Droid. I have been a Motorola fan since the 80's when my fathers business used strictly Motorola car phones (Cellular One).

OK, so with all the BS behind me\explained I am looking at options here.....

I need to know If my current Droid 2s are able to be upgraded to Android version 3.0 or better. If so any documentation/websites?...I have upgraded Tablets in the past..... This would get me on the work plan and allow me to look at the holiday sales etc. My phone says the following in the About Phone area;

System version 4.5.629.A956.Verizon.en.US
Model Number Droid 2 GLOBAL
Android version 2.3.4
Baseband version N_01.82.00R
Kernel version 2.6.32.9
Build Number 4.5.1_57_D2GA

If not, I am looking into Droid phones available with 4G, Jelly Bean, GPS, (If Possible Motorola) etc.....Suggestions.....Ideally I would like to purchase the phone outright to avoid a future contract...

One option that is more apparent in my Droid 2 Globals is the ability for Mobile Wi-Fi Hotspot. My Old Droid 2 may have had it but its right out in the open and very simple to use on the Global even though just 3G....I would like to keep this functionality if possible on any phone change.

I have looked at Razr Maxx and Ultra but I have noticed that prices on EBay seem to be all over the place.....I assume if the ESN is clear I am golden to hook it to the Verizon Network.... But I see some of the Razr Maxx are not running Ice cream sandwich or Jelly bean but Gingerbread...Are these upgradeable to the later Android versions? If so, is it difficult?

I am open to look at any phone that is 4G and fits the specs if reasonable as well....Suggestions? :D

Thanks for all the help,
Chris