Stuck and Need assistance!!

Reaction score
Hello all I'm trying to root my phone, but here is the issue i'm having. I flashed SPrecovery on the phone already following Droid-life.com's video. That when smooth as butter. When I went to flash the rom on the phone I keep getting message telling my the package can't be opened package invalid and I'm trying to use Cyran's rom any of them. So I need assistance on trying to get this thing rooted. I'm using Verizon Moto Droid with 2.1 stock ...

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello all I'm trying to root my phone, but here is the issue i'm having. I flashed SPrecovery on the phone already following Droid-life.com's video. That when smooth as butter. When I went to flash the rom on the phone I keep getting message telling my the package can't be opened package invalid and I'm trying to use Cyran's rom any of them. So I need assistance on trying to get this thing rooted. I'm using Verizon Moto Droid with 2.1 stock ...

did you install the root 2.1 update zip.. also make sure your update.zip is not update.zip.zip (windows sometimes hides the .zip part)

OP
J
Reaction score
Well this is what I did I'll try to make it short lol Installed all Moto drivers to pc, Then installed RSD light, downloaded the SPrecovery file. I Flashed phone using RSD Light that when perfect. Then tried to put the Cyran Rom on the phone and no matter what i do I'm getting that error I've checked the file in properties and it says update.zip did I miss a step??

INSANENEIVIESIS

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowrom.com
Well this is what I did I'll try to make it short lol Installed all Moto drivers to pc, Then installed RSD light, downloaded the SPrecovery file. I Flashed phone using RSD Light that when perfect. Then tried to put the Cyran Rom on the phone and no matter what i do I'm getting that error I've checked the file in properties and it says update.zip did I miss a step??
cyanogens rom is specifficly made to work with clockwork recovery not sprecovery. now this brings me back to where the person above you asked have you rooted. you will need to be rooted to install clockwork recovery.

so have you rooted?

OP
J
Reaction score
Nope haven't rooted yet that's what I'm trying to do. Seems like the person doing the video for Droid-life.com which is the video I followed left somethings out. I have SPrecovery on the phone already but without SU access. So I'm not rooted How to I get rooted from here ?

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
did you install the root 2.1 update zip.. also make sure your update.zip is not update.zip.zip (windows sometimes hides the .zip part)

Little off topic but that's one of my pet peeves. Why the heck would MS continue to hide these known file types. Perfect example: I email you an exe who's icon looks like the zip icon. For those showing known file types you would see the file as openme.zip.exe and know (hopefully) that something was wrong. For those with the known file types hidden the file looks like openme.zip and a double click could create a mess.

For those not seeing the file types, fix it by searching the internet for "display known files types in windows" where windows equals your version.

Here is one example I found for Windows 7, and it is basically the same for other versions too: Show File Extensions — MAXIMUMpcguides – Windows 7 tips, tricks, help, and how-to guides

OP
J
Reaction score
I'm pretty computer literate and I thought I checked and double checked this and sure enough once unchecked the extensions that's what the file was named update.zip.zip gonna try again and see what happens now that I'm doing it right will let you know in a min..lol

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Cyanogen ROMs are made to work with clockwork recovery. Not Sprecovery.

Easiest route to root your phone.... Download DroidMod... let it root you and install Sprecovery.... then download ROM Manager, let it flash Clockwork recovery, and then install the Cyanogen mod.

Leaves very little room for error.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks all for the assistance I'm rooted currently running Cyan 5.0 rom and running smoothly contacts are all there and just need to get all the apps I downloaded back this is great. I wanted to state that the video from Droid-life.com is great the only thing he left out was the file extension part other than that doing it this way for all the 2.1 users is a lot easier then using terminal emulator thanks all for the guidence