Stuck after 2.1 upgrade.

kblakely

Reaction score
Well, I ran the 2.1 upgrade on my Moto Droid, this morning and have been stuck on the startup screen (flashing red eye) all day. Not sure what my next step is. I'm guessing I will have to do a factory reset, but I've been holding off because I would rather NOT lose all my data... if at all possible.

Anyone else seen this... and more important, anyone got any suggestions ???

PrawoJazdy

Reaction score
I can't offer much, but after two hours of waiting for this screen to go away I removed my battery after powering down would not work from the power button. This was a mistake and now my phone displays a data corrupt error and will only go to boot loader screen when powering up. Call Verizon or go to a Verizon store before you do anything.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Not sure exactly what their policy on you trying to manually install the update instead of waiting for the ota, but I'd recommend you go to VZW as well. I'd just tell them that something went wrong while you were installing the update (try to avoid letting them know that it wasn't ota) and hopefully they can flash it and fix it for you...but you'll most likely lose your data.

If they can't fix it, hopefully they can get you a new one (in which case, you'll still lose your data...)

OP
K

kblakely

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not sure what OTA stands for but this WAS the official update pushed to my phone (not a manual install).

I figured either way I would be doing a reset... so that's what I did. Got the phone back but obviously lost all my apps... what a pain.

If I had it to do over I would skip this "upgrade".

afm528

Reaction score
I'm afraid I may be in the same boat. I started the OTA upgrade while connected to my laptop via USB and now I'm stuck on "BootLoader 2C.6C Battery OK OK to Program Transfer Mode: USB" which is usually what I see when I try to charge a completely dead Droid via laptop USB cable. I've had this on my screen for at least 30 mins, so I'm assuming that something went wrong. Am I hosed? Do I need to reset, or is there some prayer that the install is just really slow? (I know, I know....)

OP
K

kblakely

Reaction score
Can you get to the recovery screen (startup holding the X)?

I had mine plugged into the wall charger, so it wasn't a battery issue. After doing a factory reset I did have 2.1 so the install apparently went fine... I just was stuck on the boot screen.

To anyone going to do an upgrade... be sure you back up as much of your info as possible. My contacts were in Gmail and synced almost instantly and the Android market did remember what apps I had purchased... so it was not as painful as I thought it was going to be. Just plan on doing a lot of downloads, for a while.

afm528

Reaction score
I got impatient, pulled the battery out and then restarted and everything was fine, but no upgrade. I'll wait a bit to see if they try to push it to me again. I'm considering rooting my phone, so I guess now's the time to back everything up anyway. thanks for the reply

JMac84

Reaction score
I'll give you my story. I had the same update problem as kblakely. Updated, and stuck at the blinking red eye for at least an hour when I came upon this thread. So I went ahead and called VW support. Support tech was very nice although hadn't yet heard of this problem. He excused himself for a few moments, came back and told me to go ahead and pull the battery, which I did. I was instructed to pop the battery back in and try to start the phone. Stuck again at the blinking red eye.

He then said oh well, phone must be bricked, I will send you a new one. Hmmm, ok by me i guess. So I set that up, hung up the phone, and thought what the hell, new phone coming, I might as well try resetting the phone myself.

I had to look up on the interwebs how to go about doing that, but quickly found it and after pulling my sd card, went ahead and formatted and reset and reactivated the phone. Well, what do you know, it booted right up and after checking the firmware version, it has the 2.1 update!

As I type this i just checked and 31 applications have been restored. So except for a few cosmetic details (resetting my 3 screens) my phone seems to be mostly back to normal.

Soooo, here is my slight dilemma. I have a new phone coming in the mail (overnighted tomorrow), and i am supposed to send this phone back. So do I keep the new phone? or call VW back and cancel the order? I'm thinking I'm gonna send this phone back and keep the new one (this one has that pesky headphone jack issue that drives me nuts).

Whatcha think?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'll give you my story. I had the same update problem as kblakely. Updated, and stuck at the blinking red eye for at least an hour when I came upon this thread. So I went ahead and called VW support. Support tech was very nice although hadn't yet heard of this problem. He excused himself for a few moments, came back and told me to go ahead and pull the battery, which I did. I was instructed to pop the battery back in and try to start the phone. Stuck again at the blinking red eye.

He then said oh well, phone must be bricked, I will send you a new one. Hmmm, ok by me i guess. So I set that up, hung up the phone, and thought what the hell, new phone coming, I might as well try resetting the phone myself.

I had to look up on the interwebs how to go about doing that, but quickly found it and after pulling my sd card, went ahead and formatted and reset and reactivated the phone. Well, what do you know, it booted right up and after checking the firmware version, it has the 2.1 update!

As I type this i just checked and 31 applications have been restored. So except for a few cosmetic details (resetting my 3 screens) my phone seems to be mostly back to normal.

Soooo, here is my slight dilemma. I have a new phone coming in the mail (overnighted tomorrow), and i am supposed to send this phone back. So do I keep the new phone? or call VW back and cancel the order? I'm thinking I'm gonna send this phone back and keep the new one (this one has that pesky headphone jack issue that drives me nuts).

Whatcha think?

Bordering on fraud there, but IMO, if you've got a headphone jack issue, that's a hardware problem, and that's totally covered by your warranty...

JMac84

Reaction score
Sorry to hijack your thread kblakely, hopefully you at least get some useful info from my experience.

I am certainly not interested in defrauding VW, but if you (Jonny Kansas) think that the headphone jack issue (which I have been living with for a while) is copacetic, I'm gonna send this one in.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Sorry to hijack your thread kblakely, hopefully you at least get some useful info from my experience.

I am certainly not interested in defrauding VW, but if you (Jonny Kansas) think that the headphone jack issue (which I have been living with for a while) is copacetic, I'm gonna send this one in.

Well, what's the problem? Is it doing the thing where you can't get sound to play out of the phone after you unplug it?

I mean...Technically speaking, Idk how long the warranty is good for...and if you got insurance, there's the $50 (I think) deductible.

BUT, if you send it back and they see that it's no longer bricked and they're not happy about it, I'm sure they'll let you know... :D

JMac84

Reaction score
already made the cancel call, oh well, honesty wins begrudgingly. I will wait and see if the headphone problem continues as I have been looking around and apparently this update addresses the problem. so we'll see.....

So i have gone from fairly satisfied with my VW update experience to fairly unsatisfied. Its gonna take me a bit to get my phone back to where it was before. Its was still gonna be a pain in the ass, but dulled by the fact that it was going to be a newer phone....not anymore, just a pain in the ass.

So who is responsible for this entire update clusterf#*% VW or Motorola?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
already made the cancel call, oh well, honesty wins begrudgingly. I will wait and see if the headphone problem continues as I have been looking around and apparently this update addresses the problem. so we'll see.....

So i have gone from fairly satisfied with my VW update experience to fairly unsatisfied. Its gonna take me a bit to get my phone back to where it was before. Its was still gonna be a pain in the ass, but dulled by the fact that it was going to be a newer phone....not anymore, just a pain in the ass.

So who is responsible for this entire update clusterf#*% VW or Motorola?

Not sure who's responsible, but if you still have a bunch of apps to download, go to Find great Android apps and games - AppBrain and also download their free app from the market. You can use their site to pick apps to download, then go into their app and sync your Droid with the list and download them.

I just did a factory reset myself, so I'm about to give it a run, but sounds like it's awesome from reviews and things that I've read...

nite 0wl

Reaction score
I had the same issue as the OP the other day(restart after applying the official OTA results in an endless boot loop). I called VZW after I couldn't get it to boot to safe mode.

The support rep said this was an issue they had been receiving a lot of calls about.The fix she provided was to boot to recovery mode (hold X until the exclamation mark appears, press camera and volume up) and perform a factory reset. Once I finished the initial setup and reinstalling all of my apps and restoring all of my widgets and other things on my home screens I discovered (much to my relief) that while I had lost root access my custom boot animation and shell replacement (replaced sh with bash) were still there. Luckily reception and network conditions were good and none of my apps had been pulled from the market since the last time I had to perform a reset. So about an hour after installing the update and experiencing the problem I was finishing installing the last of my 50+ apps and putting my home screens back to the way they had been.

Apparently the cause of this issue (from what the rep said) was that in some cases the updater would install portions of the new OS to the SD card (which makes sense since the SD card isn't mounted until after the initial boot process has completed). One theory she suggested for avoiding this issue was to remove the SD card before applying the update.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue as the OP the other day(restart after applying the official OTA results in an endless boot loop). I called VZW after I couldn't get it to boot to safe mode.

The support rep said this was an issue they had been receiving a lot of calls about.The fix she provided was to boot to recovery mode (hold X until the exclamation mark appears, press camera and volume up) and perform a factory reset. Once I finished the initial setup and reinstalling all of my apps and restoring all of my widgets and other things on my home screens I discovered (much to my relief) that while I had lost root access my custom boot animation and shell replacement (replaced sh with bash) were still there. Luckily reception and network conditions were good and none of my apps had been pulled from the market since the last time I had to perform a reset. So about an hour after installing the update and experiencing the problem I was finishing installing the last of my 50+ apps and putting my home screens back to the way they had been.

Apparently the cause of this issue (from what the rep said) was that in some cases the updater would install portions of the new OS to the SD card (which makes sense since the SD card isn't mounted until after the initial boot process has completed).

Well, I guess I made a good decision in pulling those 2.1 droidmod remnants from my SD card then. I had no problems with the update, I did however do it manually.