Strange battery issues today

Reaction score
I had a strange thing happen with my phone, the battery today for the first time seemed to drain very quickly and when I looked at the phone on the top I noticed the GPS signal come on and go off once in a while. I checked under applications running and it does not show GPS as running.

Also the phone is very hot today, more so than before.

Any ideas?

DarrellM5

Reaction score
I had over 80% battery left about an hour ago and when I just went to use it I was warned that I only had 5% remaining. Nothing that uses the GPS was running. This is the fastest I've had the unit drain yet. WTF?

OP
W
Reaction score
Like I said, I did not have GPS on but I saw it go on and off on the top screen once in a while and if this happens constantly it will drain the battery fast.

rocketman45

Reaction score
I had a similar weird episode this morning. My Droid had been on the charger all night. When I first looked at the phone (still hooked up) there was a red LED glowing in the upper right corner. When I awakened the phone there was a warning that the battery was down to 5%. This after being on the charger all night. I thought maybe I hadn't had the plug fully inserted in the phone so I pulled it and reinserted. For about a second the battery icon in the status bar showed it was charging then showed full. I pulled the plug and checked my charge status which showed 100%! I've used the phone all day and it has been fine with a typical rate of battery discharge which for me has been quite satisfactory. This episode will probably go down as one of those 'who knows?' deals.

jdritzer

Reaction score
Weird. My phone also drained very quickly today with light use.

artie87124

Reaction score
Questionable Rate of Discharge on phone and USB drivers

I have my DROID less than 30 day trial period.

First my lithium battery discharged very fast in less than a day, without even turning it on.

But I noticed the wifi and blue toooth were on and turned them off.

Now the rate is not as quick, but even it spend the whole day in sleep mood, but no usage, the batter only lasts about 2 days, maybe 3.

If I use just the phone at all, it lasts between 1-2 days.

However, if I attempt to use the "At Home" feature for GPS navigation of about 45 minutes home, it will last less than one day.

That does not seem to be good that it will last less than a day, with even one hour heavy usage.

If that is an average, then you couldn't even get to charge it at the end of any day. It would be dead already.

Lastly it also only takes about 2 hours to charge up from less than 20% charged. I don't know if any of this is normal, or if there is something wrong with with my battery.

I am not used to lithium ion batteries.

Does anyone else have similar problems or concerns with the DOID battery usage ???

I am still in the take back period and I am trying to find if the usage is normal, or if there is a bad battery.

ON USB Drivers ---- Last point, I bought the plug in (power/ USB) adapter, which lets you plug into computer. I did plug it into PC but it requires a CD to install drivers on it. I am surprised there was NO CD with s/w with the phone and adapter. The online download from Motorola, drivers are NOT that good.

It recognizes the phone, but I can't download anything like pictures with s/w like BitPim.

Does anyone know before I go back to Verizon whether there should have been a CD with drivers to install. I have both XP and VISTA and there are no standard drivers. it seems like the CD with driver install should have come with the phone when I bought it ???

Boris Badenov

Reaction score
I had a similar weird episode this morning. My Droid had been on the charger all night. When I first looked at the phone (still hooked up) there was a red LED glowing in the upper right corner. When I awakened the phone there was a warning that the battery was down to 5%. This after being on the charger all night. I thought maybe I hadn't had the plug fully inserted in the phone so I pulled it and reinserted. For about a second the battery icon in the status bar showed it was charging then showed full. I pulled the plug and checked my charge status which showed 100%! I've used the phone all day and it has been fine with a typical rate of battery discharge which for me has been quite satisfactory. This episode will probably go down as one of those 'who knows?' deals.

It happened to me more then ones. Droid would start blinking red while on a charging dock. But when I take it off (it would show something like 5-10%), put it back on (red light instantly disappears) and lift it right back up – it shows 100% charged.

I don’t think it’s a battery issue, most likely software bug.
Droid still has plenty of those…

:icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek:

:icon_ devil:

Enter

Reaction score
I have my DROID less than 30 day trial period.

First my lithium battery discharged very fast in less than a day, without even turning it on.

But I noticed the wifi and blue toooth were on and turned them off.

Now the rate is not as quick, but even it spend the whole day in sleep mood, but no usage, the batter only lasts about 2 days, maybe 3.

If I use just the phone at all, it lasts between 1-2 days.

However, if I attempt to use the "At Home" feature for GPS navigation of about 45 minutes home, it will last less than one day.

That does not seem to be good that it will last less than a day, with even one hour heavy usage.

If that is an average, then you couldn't even get to charge it at the end of any day. It would be dead already.

Lastly it also only takes about 2 hours to charge up from less than 20% charged. I don't know if any of this is normal, or if there is something wrong with with my battery.

I am not used to lithium ion batteries.

Does anyone else have similar problems or concerns with the DOID battery usage ???

I am still in the take back period and I am trying to find if the usage is normal, or if there is a bad battery.

ON USB Drivers ---- Last point, I bought the plug in (power/ USB) adapter, which lets you plug into computer. I did plug it into PC but it requires a CD to install drivers on it. I am surprised there was NO CD with s/w with the phone and adapter. The online download from Motorola, drivers are NOT that good.

It recognizes the phone, but I can't download anything like pictures with s/w like BitPim.

Does anyone know before I go back to Verizon whether there should have been a CD with drivers to install. I have both XP and VISTA and there are no standard drivers. it seems like the CD with driver install should have come with the phone when I bought it ???

You do not need any type of program to transfer pictures or media from or to your phone. You plug in your phone via USB to your computer, Windows automatically downloads the drivers. You go to your phone and click on the USB Connected and choose to mount it. From there Windows will ask you what to do, open using gallery, open to view files, etc. If you don't get that, simply go to My computer or C: and you will notice Removable Driver I: or whatever letter. Click on that and you are now on the phone. DCIM contains all your videos/pictures.

Boris Badenov

Reaction score
...It recognizes the phone, but I can't download anything like pictures with s/w like BitPim.

When you connecting droid to PC via USB you will get a message on your droid asking if you want to mount it. Just click yes and you will be able to access it through windows explorer. No need for BitPim.

Your battery usage stats are seems very similar to mine and typical for any smart phone I have used.

Cheers!
:icon_ banana: