Strange APN icon

rafeee2

Reaction score
I'm having problems with my data connection. Does anybody know what that icon means?

screenshotzf.png

OP
R

rafeee2

Reaction score
Yes, unlocked in Kuwait on a local provider's SIM card. I don't get any data connections.

OP
R

rafeee2

Reaction score
OK I flashed the Fission ROM now to see if it solves my data issues.
It didn't, probably due to the fact that it's using the stock baseband.
But, the icon disappeared, and for some reason the phone thinks that I'm roaming (the network icon has the roaming triangle), but I think I can still make calls normally.
Removed it though, I just wanted to know whether it used a different baseband.
So, any ideas?

SingingAlcazar

Reaction score
Raffee,

I used my unlocked druid pro in Singapore with no problem on Starhub. I didn't even have to set data settings but the apn never showed up under wireless settings.

In the Philippines on smart I got the provisioning sms and can see the apns but I have no data. The same sim card in an iphone works perfectly.

So it may have less to do with baseband settings than where it gets the apn settings from.

As I travel I will keep this thread updated.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

OP
R

rafeee2

Reaction score
Raffee,

I used my unlocked druid pro in Singapore with no problem on Starhub. I didn't even have to set data settings but the apn never showed up under wireless settings.

In the Philippines on smart I got the provisioning sms and can see the apns but I have no data. The same sim card in an iphone works perfectly.

So it may have less to do with baseband settings than where it gets the apn settings from.

As I travel I will keep this thread updated.

So how did you explain not having a data connection in Philippines although you were sent the APN settings SMS?

SingingAlcazar

Reaction score
I can't. I think that is the point of this thread no?

Interesting bit of information is that my Singapore sim will not roam in the Philippines on any of the carriers.

Is it a country block? I will post again when I get back to Singapore.

Overall it feels like the phone is not engaging the data connection or even trying. Does anyone know how I can debug this? Can I 'tail -f/ var/log/message's or something?

SingingAlcazar

Reaction score
Ok. So I am back in Singapore and my data connection did NOT work. I did a factory reset and now I can get data.

I still think its a bug and not a deliberate limitation. Like I said it doesn't feel like it updates the APNs in real time (nor after a reboot) .

OP
R

rafeee2

Reaction score
I think you can update the APNs manually from the APNs screen, by pressing "Menu --> Reset to Default". It doesn't work on my phone, but works on my wife's Defy.
So, do you have that nice icon in your APNs screen??

SingingAlcazar

Reaction score
I as a human can see and update the APNs however it feels like the phone is not taking them into account.

This I feel is the issue and the factory reset does something to allow it to work. Maybe it only works with the first APN that was inputted.

In any case it is buggy and we shouldn't need to do this. It should work!