Stock vs. root

denakisland

Reaction score
Pacific NW. Not so North and not so West.
ok, so I'm getting my Incredible tomorrow (yay!) and I'm coming from a rooted Eris. From what I've read there really is no reason to root the Incredible because if it's functionality, however I'm very used to apps such as Titanium, Shoot Me and a couple other "root-only" apps. I also enjoy finding and playing with Roms.
My question is, in your opinion, should I root right away or play with it stock because it's, well, Incredible.

UNC

Reaction score
Are you beholden to the Incredible? If you can hold onto that Eris for just a few more months you should. The battery on the Incredible is Incredibly bad. So bad that I went back from Incredible to the original Droid...

DInc_Mo

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. I have had my Dinc for three days now and have been unable to put it down. I came from a Blackberry and this is my first Android phone. I know I have a lot to learn, but it seems like there could be benefits to rooting this incredible phone.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I have a rooted Incredible. I kept the stock ROM, but have the freedom to use rooted apps. Don't you know that rooting just gives you superuser permissions, as you already have a rooted Eris:)

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Play with it for about 30 minutes, root it with unrevoked 3.3, get your stuff back on there, play with it for about 30 minutes, then look at the ROMs, themes, etc, available for the Inc, and after about another 30 minutes you'll forget you ever questioned whether you should root it or not. :D

J

Johnly

Dude, it is not broke!!!!! Use it for awhile first, and explore the **** out of it, then see.....

G

Grimster

All third part ROMs for the Inc have stability issues and bugs. They are developed by people who are not devs for a living. Dont even waste your time installing another ROM. There is nothing useful you can do with a third party ROM that you cant do with the stock ROM. If you're going to do anything, just root and remove bloatware from the stock ROM.

The_Sithness420

Reaction score
Rooting an inc has, imo, quite a few benefits ie free hotspot anyone? Also custom roms to "fix" any issues you may have with the handset such as battery life is also very useful. With android being as open sourced as it is I really don't why you wouldn't want to root your Inc! The possibilities are endless!
Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

G

Grimster

The stock rom has free hotspot as well. All you need to do is change the NAI. Takes 10 seconds. As stated before, third party roms offer nothing useful over the stock rom.

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Depends what ROM you get. Most devs know their s*it and do awesome jobs with their ROMs. And you can't get that stock (vanilla) android theme without a custom ROM.... unless you have a phone from a manufacturer that just throws Android on its phones. And can you get Gingerbread on most of today's stock phones?

But I agree that most custom ROMs do not have HTC sense, which means you'd probably lose features with a custom. With the exception to my Rom, that desire z with sense 2.0 one. Pretty awesome, I recommend it.

Sent from my Incredible using DroidForums App

G

Grimster

Depends what ROM you get. Most devs know their s*it and do awesome jobs with their ROMs. And you can't get that stock (vanilla) android theme without a custom ROM.... unless you have a phone from a manufacturer that just throws Android on its phones. And can you get Gingerbread on most of today's stock phones?

But I agree that most custom ROMs do not have HTC sense, which means you'd probably lose features with a custom. With the exception to my Rom, that desire z with sense 2.0 one. Pretty awesome, I recommend it.
Again, you are wrong. All you need to do is uninstall Sense and bloatware and you have vanilla rom. You dont need third party roms as they are all unstable and riddled with bugs.

B

bigsapz

There are plenty of 3rd party ROMs that are solid. Ultimate Droid and Cyanogenmod are my top 2 favorite. Both run GREAT. Fast, smooth and w/o all the bloat. Would never consider going back to stock garbage.

Sent from my Incredible 2.3.2 using DroidForums App