Stock Rubix 1.9.5. What to do with JRummy DX OC

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
I have installed 1.9.5, and decided to purchase The DX Overclock App from JRummy16. I am guessing I will need a new kernel in order to use the app for OC purposes. Can someone point me in the right direction of a reliable kernel, and more importantly, some cool things I can do with this app even if I don't OC.

Thanks

cpjr

Reaction score
Cant install custom kernels on a Droid X because of the locked bootloader...the app does everything for you. Just pick what options you want in it and DONT go straight to the max overclock because if your phone doesnt like it and ends up bootlooping you will have to redo everything.

PS- If you wanna know what the app does, look through the app.

OP
N

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
That's where I'm confused. I don't see any indication that I can go over 1ghz in the options.

cpjr

Reaction score
In the app goto Set scaling frequencies, choose the oc script you want, then goto CPU frequency scaling and adjust it. Its really easy.

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
You can try some big overclocks, just make sure that you dont have "Apply on boot" checkmarked until you know your settings are stable. Otherwise if it bootloops, you would have to do a system restore.

OP
N

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
Gotcha. I was looking at the slot frequency settings in another part of the app, and got a little scared. All is good now. Thanks for the help.

Kuonji

Reaction score
I have the app but I am also confused. When I go to 'set scaling frequencies', there are a ton of options.

If all I want to do is undervolt the cpu for more battery life, which option do I choose? I assume I choose either low voltage or ultra low voltage, and then choose "1.0GHz, 800MHz, 500MHz, 350MHz"......right?

I don't want to lose any CPU speed from stock, just undervolt as far as it can go. I guess I'm just confused at all the options.

JRobzilla

Reaction score
I have the app but I am also confused. When I go to 'set scaling frequencies', there are a ton of options.

If all I want to do is undervolt the cpu for more battery life, which option do I choose? I assume I choose either low voltage or ultra low voltage, and then choose "1.0GHz, 800MHz, 500MHz, 350MHz"......right?

I don't want to lose any CPU speed from stock, just undervolt as far as it can go. I guess I'm just confused at all the options.

When you hit Set Scaling Frequencies the next screen will ask your voltage (ultra low, low, medium etc...). After you select your voltage the NEXT screen will then be your frequency scales at that selected voltage.

So, if you wanted to go to the lowest voltage but remain at stock speeds hit:

Set Scaling Frequencies -> Ultra Low Volatage -> 1.0GHz, 800MHz, 500MHz, 350MHz.

This would be a reliable way of undervolting but remaining at stock speeds without custom tinkering with sliders.

Also, I'd stay away from the Frequencies at boot until you find a reliable configuration for your phone.

Trong

Reaction score
I've never been a fan of the preset LV/ULV. They use the stock voltages that came after the .340 update, which are higher than the voltages we had when we first purchased the phone, so LV/ULV might actually be the same voltage or higher than the ones our phones used to run.

I personally prefer to use the Advance/Custom settings and manually testing out voltages/clock speeds. Been able to get 300MHz with 18V running stable. I believe the preset ULV settings only go down to the mid-20's range.

Just for reference, I run mine at: 1200/66, 1000/55, 600/31, 300/18

Last edited:

akiles

Reaction score
I know every phone is different, but have you noticed any improment in batt life? Is it stable with those voltages?

I've never been a fan of the preset LV/ULV. They use the stock voltages that came after the .340 update, which are higher than the voltages we had when we first purchased the phone, so LV/ULV might actually be the same voltage or higher than the ones our phones used to run.

I personally prefer to use the Advance/Custom settings and manually testing out voltages/clock speeds. Been able to get 300MHz with 18V running stable. I believe the preset ULV settings only go down to the mid-20's range.

Just for reference, I run mine at: 1200/66, 1000/55, 600/31, 300/18

Trong

Reaction score
I know every phone is different, but have you noticed any improment in batt life? Is it stable with those voltages?
Yup, I can easily go through a full day (14-16 hours) on one charge with moderate-heavy usage. Seems to be as stable as can be, with reboots only when I end phone calls (I think it's a noted bug in RubiX).

akiles

Reaction score
Thanks. I was asking because the bug you referred to, is supposedly a motorola bug and was fix in the .340 ota -allegedly. The fix was -as someone pointed out- to increase the voltages. I was wondering how your phone was responding to having low voltages.
An occasional reboot seems like a small price to pay for battery longevity.
I was using low voltages (800-300) but saw no improvement at all. I get about 10hrs of bat life with no use (no texts, calls, browsing).
Meh...

Yup, I can easily go through a full day (14-16 hours) on one charge with moderate-heavy usage. Seems to be as stable as can be, with reboots only when I end phone calls (I think it's a noted bug in RubiX).

Inkarnit

Reaction score
Thanks. I was asking because the bug you referred to, is supposedly a motorola bug and was fix in the .340 ota -allegedly. The fix was -as someone pointed out- to increase the voltages. I was wondering how your phone was responding to having low voltages.
An occasional reboot seems like a small price to pay for battery longevity.
I was using low voltages (800-300) but saw no improvement at all. I get about 10hrs of bat life with no use (no texts, calls, browsing).
Meh...

A lot of it has to do with your signal strength though. At home I have great signal strength and access to wifi. At work I have poor signal strength and no wifi. In a typical work day, I will get 14-15 hours of battery life. Yesterday, however, I stayed home from work. I am currently on 22h 53m and still have 30% battery life left. I am running stock voltages and clock speeds too. Also, I never get a reboot. Never.

salem667

Reaction score
Becareful using UL voltage... Your phone does need so much to do what it needs to do, I wouldnt go below LV so that you dont start having problems with not enough volts to keep ur phone running.... I run mine at LV, 1.35 and on performance... With a bluetooth and have no reboots after calls... And my battery last all day with moderate to kinda heavy usuage.... Unless I go places to where my signal bites... With isnt to many places since I OC my phone

Droid X

Reaction score
I've been using DX/D2 Overclocker by unstable apps, not JRummy's one.

Maybe not so surprisingly given the dev's name, my DX becomes unstable if i tweak anything, including voltage.

Is there any reason to believe that I might have better luck with JRummy's app or is it just a safe bet that I got a picky DX that is happy sitting at stock.

For me, stability is pretty important. If I get random reboots at all I'm inclined to go back to stock.

Just curious, thanks guys!