Stock App Update Question

KevinJ

Reaction score
I've noticed that when the stock Google Maps app has an update (which hasn't been for a while now) it shows up as "update available" in the Market.

What I've found though, is that some of the other "stock apps" don't do that. For instance, the stock "Facebook" app and the stock "Goggles" app.

When searching through apps in the Market I find updates to those apps, but why aren't they showing up automatically like "Maps"? Am I missing something?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that when the stock Google Maps app has an update (which hasn't been for a while now) it shows up as "update available" in the Market.

What I've found though, is that some of the other "stock apps" don't do that. For instance, the stock "Facebook" app and the stock "Goggles" app.

When searching through apps in the Market I find updates to those apps, but why aren't they showing up automatically like "Maps"? Am I missing something?

Not really. You can have updates and simply not have a notification. If an update is available you will see it in your downloads as soon as it's available. You may not receive a notification that quickly.

OP
K

KevinJ

Reaction score
Okay. The stock "Google Goggles" on my phone is v1.01, and the on Market I see "Google Goggles" as v1.1. It says "free", it doesn't say "update available."

Same with Facebook. The stock Facebook app is v1.13 on my phone. Market says there is v1.2 available, but doesn't list it as an update.

So I don't know if these are actual updates, or different version from what is on my phone at this time.

Sorry if I'm being stupid right now. It's not been a good week. :)

w27bill

Reaction score
Is there an "Updater" app??

:blackdroid:Hello Moto. Droid 2.1:motdroidvert:
My question today was basically the same as Kevin J, regarding app updates.
For the majority of the time, the only time I've found that my current Apps have an "Update Available" is when I HAPPEN TO RUN ACROSS IT WHILE BROWSING THE MARKET.
Seems to me (as w/ Kev j), that I must be missing something.
Why isn't there an easier way to know when apps have an update ready?
It really seems a kinda roundabout way to have to search through the market for your particular app, just to check if you're app has an update or not.
I've searched the market for an "UPDATER" app, or something similar that would auto notify you of any updates for your existing apps. Have yet to find any.
If anybody knows of any help regarding this matter, would be awesomely appreciated!:icon_ banana:
Once again.... I may be missing something here...:icon_eek:

w27bill

Reaction score
Solved my "Apps Updates" Question

:blackdroid:Hello Moto. Droid 2.1:motdroidvert:
My question today was basically the same as Kevin J, regarding app updates.
For the majority of the time, the only time I've found that my current Apps have an "Update Available" is when I HAPPEN TO RUN ACROSS IT WHILE BROWSING THE MARKET.
Seems to me (as w/ Kev j), that I must be missing something.
Why isn't there an easier way to know when apps have an update ready?
It really seems a kinda roundabout way to have to search through the market for your particular app, just to check if you're app has an update or not.
I've searched the market for an "UPDATER" app, or something similar that would auto notify you of any updates for your existing apps. Have yet to find any.
If anybody knows of any help regarding this matter, would be awesomely appreciated!:icon_ banana:
Once again.... I may be missing something here...:icon_eek:

I was right, It was something simple that I was not getting:
To find all of my Available Updates in one place, I just:
1. Go to Market,
2. "Menu"
3. "Downloads"
4. Then it lists all of my apps that have UPDATES AVAILABLE.dancedroid
F.Y.I

OP
K

KevinJ

Reaction score
I was right, It was something simple that I was not getting:
To find all of my Available Updates in one place, I just:
1. Go to Market,
2. "Menu"
3. "Downloads"
4. Then it lists all of my apps that have UPDATES AVAILABLE.dancedroid
F.Y.I
I've known about that. But one thing that is missing is any updates for the core apps that come with the phone. As I said in my previous post, there are newer versions for Google Goggles, and for Facebook, but they are not listed as "updates" anywhere. So I have not downloaded them, as I am not sure about it.

Joker

Reaction score
Curious about this as well. If you were to go ahead and download the more current version of the core app would you then have two icons? Usually when you check the download in the marketplace, it would say "installed" and if an update is available it would signify as such. Unfortunately most of the core apps do not show up in downloads, except for Maps which I have noticed it notifies me when an update is available.

sukayser

Reaction score
Maps on Phone won't update

My own Droid shows Maps 4.6.0 as the current version. My husband's has never updated (although his system has), and it's still at 4.3.1. He's never gotten any notifications about Maps.

How can I force the updating of Maps? I've tried clearing all data on his phone and the cache and reloading, but I never get an update message for his, which is how it's always worked on my identical model.

We're both on System 2.2, no more updates available, according to the Droids,