Still having g issue with ok Google not responding on lock screen

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Tried it @Sajo. Awesome!. Disabled motto voice ("show me" don't do much anyways).
Working as advertised now. Thanks!
Now.... Of Google would only fix their smart Lock......

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Tried it @Sajo. Awesome!. Disabled motto voice ("show me" don't do much anyways).
Working as advertised now. Thanks!
Now.... Of Google would only fix their smart Lock......

Thanks for the confirmation. And I stand slightly corrected. You can use Show Me commands and OK Google commands on the phone. Show Me doesn't unlock my phone since it isn't really meant to, it just displays screens like My Calendar, Weather data, etc. It will display those as a fade in ~ fade out screen even when the screen is locked. But Show Me doesn't unlock the phone to take actions, like OK Google. That functionality does unlock the phone so it can perform tasks. As I stated before, if you setup Moto Voice for Show Me first, and then try to use OK Google later I don't think it works very well. Buy if you wipe out your Moto Voice voice model and start over setting up Google first, then OK Google hands free commands seem to work good, which you confirmed.

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
There will not be a Z3 Force. There is a Z3 and Z3 Play.

Are you telling me there is no upgrade path from my phone to a similar one even next year. Did they announce there won't be a force version officially and the the shatter shield line feature is not going g to be I. Another model? I may have to go with whatever the mist shatter resistant phone is and by spare Z2 forces in the meantime.

??? How break resistant is the Z3 regular like compared to the 2 force,?

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
Thanks for the confirmation. And I stand slightly corrected. You can use Show Me commands and OK Google commands on the phone. Show Me doesn't unlock my phone since it isn't really meant to, it just displays screens like My Calendar, Weather data, etc. It will display those as a fade in ~ fade out screen even when the screen is locked. But Show Me doesn't unlock the phone to take actions, like OK Google. That functionality does unlock the phone so it can perform tasks. As I stated before, if you setup Moto Voice for Show Me first, and then try to use OK Google later I don't think it works very well. Buy if you wipe out your Moto Voice voice model and start over setting up Google first, then OK Google hands free commands seem to work good, which you confirmed.

So I finally get that question answered and buy into using Moto mods that are getting rare and there might not be an upgrade to a shatter shield or break resistant phone?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Are you telling me there is no upgrade path from my phone to a similar one even next year. Did they announce there won't be a force version officially and the the shatter shield line feature is not going g to be I. Another model? I may have to go with whatever the mist shatter resistant phone is and by spare Z2 forces in the meantime.

??? How break resistant is the Z3 regular like compared to the 2 force,?

I am telling you that there is no Z3 Force this year, 2018. There is a Z3 and a Z3 Play, both with Gorilla Glass. We don't know what Moto is going to do next year. They initially confirmed three years of compatible Moto Z phones (where all Moto Mods work on all three years of phones). They did that, three generations of Moto Z, and all Moto Mods are compatible. Will there be another Moto Z in 2019? No one knows. If there is a Moto Z4, will there be a Force model? No one knows. As far as screen breaking on the Z3......it's Gorilla Glass so it breaks when dropped like every other phone on the planet. Gorilla Glass is not break resistant.

Edit: Just to caveat, I certainly hope that Moto continues the Shattershield lineup and provides some kind of "Force" phone in 2019. I hope so. But I doubt it. Shattershield got a bad rep for being too soft and scratching too easily. The Moto Forum is full of posts complaining about scratched screens. My guess is that they discontinued the technology because too many people complained about scratches. I guess they should have put a free screen protector in the box and a big NOTE right on top of the phone explaining what Shattershield is and stating to install the screen protector. I guess we will have to wait & see what 2019 brings. But if they were going to continue Shattershield I don't think they would have skipped the Z3 just to wait for a new phone in 2019, if they wanted to continue Shattershield they would have made a Z3 Force in 2018. I could be wrong, but I think Shattershield ran its course & we had three great unbreakable screens (Turbo 2, Z Force and Z2 Force).

Last edited:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I am searching their support just now but I just tried some else.. I turned off show me and retrained ok Google voice model instead of show me voice model and it seems to work. Google does have a warning that voice unlock is less secure and a similar voice recording can be used to bypass lock:) too badd ( they need to improve this.

I am thinking show me and ok Google together are the issue and maybe not Nova. Unclear.. still testing.

Separately.
Also face unlock(which is required for iPhone X and seems to be coming an Apple and cross device standard to Android ) is disabled by administrator. I removed my work apps to test this and I think that may be a corporate remnant.

Hey Google and Moto please update/fix and make more stable and consistent if you read this ..

Of course Google provides that warning, it's a standard warning alerting people that the possibility exists for someone with a similar voice to unlock your phone. But that would mean that they have to either have your phone in their possession to do any harm......or you aren't paying attention to the fact they unlocked it and are using hands free commands. It's secure enough in my opinion, that's just Google's standard security warning.

Face Unlock is available on all my Moto Z2 phones, so I would agree that the work apps you had still have some Device Administrator remnants left behind and are keeping that greyed out.

Show Me and OK Google both work on my phone, but please read my last few posts. There is nothing for Moto to "fix". Show Me was never designed to unlock the phone, it doesn't perform hands free functions like Google. Show Me is just that......it shows you information, like your Calendar, weather, etc.

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Oh for the love of God.....
Shatter shield scratches, yes
Went through several glass protectors. Didn't like none of them. Installed one of those "military" wet application screen protectors (damned of I remember the brand name).
Been on my phone for almost a year and a half. No dings, no scratches, feels great, not as oily after use as glass....I could go on...
So I will go on: hasn't peeled, can drop this phone face down into concrete without worrying about "scratches" or dings (it does that "self healing" thing), did I mention the danged thing is practically invisible at its edges?
Just saying.... Nothing wrong with shatter shield.

On the other hand; nothing wrong with g glass either. Only reason I didn't get a z3 this year is because the z2 is actually a step up (compare the specs on the important stuff... Minor improvement of the camera, not much else).

Had the Z3 been a better power house I would bought one in a second.

I'll wait on the supposed Z4 to decide whether to upgrade or not. (G glass or not.... Irrelevant)

So.... That's my rant for the day. My work here is done

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
I am telling you that there is no Z3 Force this year, 2018. There is a Z3 and a Z3 Play, both with Gorilla Glass. We don't know what Moto is going to do next year. They initially confirmed three years of compatible Moto Z phones (where all Moto Mods work on all three years of phones). They did that, three generations of Moto Z, and all Moto Mods are compatible. Will there be another Moto Z in 2019? No one knows. If there is a Moto Z4, will there be a Force model? No one knows. As far as screen breaking on the Z3......it's Gorilla Glass so it breaks when dropped like every other phone on the planet. Gorilla Glass is not break resistant.

Edit: Just to caveat, I certainly hope that Moto continues the Shattershield lineup and provides some kind of "Force" phone in 2019. I hope so. But I doubt it. Shattershield got a bad rep for being too soft and scratching too easily. The Moto Forum is full of posts complaining about scratched screens. My guess is that they discontinued the technology because too many people complained about scratches. I guess they should have put a free screen protector in the box and a big NOTE right on top of the phone explaining what Shattershield is and stating to install the screen protector. I guess we will have to wait & see what 2019 brings. But if they were going to continue Shattershield I don't think they would have skipped the Z3 just to wait for a new phone in 2019, if they wanted to continue Shattershield they would have made a Z3 Force in 2018. I could be wrong, but I think Shattershield ran its course & we had three great unbreakable screens (Turbo 2, Z Force and Z2 Force).

I drop my Z2 force fairly consistently and even demo it to people by chucking it against walls floors and going through water parks with it. The only thing that has ever happened is that the black paint has chipped around the edges and when it gets damp the screen sometimes does not respond to touch until dry but the Z2 force is awesome

Additionally I ha e an iPad sixth generation that I have not put through such extremes but have dropped three times even on the glass and that hasn't broke either.

What is everyone doing that so many screen have been broken that I see shops to repair in the mall? The only two times I have known of people close to me breaking a screen are a iPad three(over time) and and iPad mini thrown down the stairs and hit the clothes dryer as it was in the pants pocket

I don't know if my devices are lucky or what or if Bruce Willis imbued them with "unbreakable" from the movies but so far the Z2 force has been beyond amazing and would have to go backwards.

Separately I went to the mall today and went to the Sprint store and Verizon store and best buy. Sprint had no Moto mods at all left and hadn't for a while. Verizon and best best buy had only a few and Verizon said they have been selling out on z3s

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
Oh for the love of God.....
Shatter shield scratches, yes
Went through several glass protectors. Didn't like none of them. Installed one of those "military" wet application screen protectors (damned of I remember the brand name).
Been on my phone for almost a year and a half. No dings, no scratches, feels great, not as oily after use as glass....I could go on...
So I will go on: hasn't peeled, can drop this phone face down into concrete without worrying about "scratches" or dings (it does that "self healing" thing), did I mention the danged thing is practically invisible at its edges?
Just saying.... Nothing wrong with shatter shield.

On the other hand; nothing wrong with g glass either. Only reason I didn't get a z3 this year is because the z2 is actually a step up (compare the specs on the important stuff... Minor improvement of the camera, not much else).

Had the Z3 been a better power house I would bought one in a second.

I'll wait on the supposed Z4 to decide whether to upgrade or not. (G glass or not.... Irrelevant)

So.... That's my rant for the day. My work here is done

I pretty much agree with everything you said nicely done compared with my long rant :)