Stick a fork in me, I'm done!!!

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Modding that is.... at least for now.

Here's the low down. I've said numerous times on the board that I've never had, what I would consider, good battery life from the day I brought the phone home. Not as bad as many but not as good as some. Never saw a real difference with OCing, setCPU and Ultimate Juice though some improvement was found, just nothing to scream about. I know that battery drain is not linear but as an example, I'd pull off the charger in the morning at 5:30am and with the screen off the whole time, setCPU set to 250mhz, by 6am the battery would be at 90%.

Fast forward to when I finally installed BB 1.0, a 2.1 platform and the difference was incredible! I'd go from 30-40% after work to a strong 70%... a huge improvement. I chalked it up to efficient use of code/software, but really I didn't care, the one thing I didn't like about the phone seemed to be much improved to a very acceptable level.

Then on to 1.1 and the same. Things are looking good. However, I made some mod that didn't take and I had to restore to a prior point. But when I did so, the battery life was back to crappy and I couldn't figure out the difference. I even tried other points during the "good period" but nothing got the life back.

So, I made changes to my habits so to speak, by purchasing another battery, always have a charger near by (in the work van) and I never worry about it, but still not the same.

Now, last Thursday night I switch over to the Insaneneiviesis ROM because the dev was boasting about some wicked speeds. Now the ROM worked fine and I really liked the dialer/contacts and such but Four Square wouldn't run. I did like it enough that I backed up the ROM after getting it laid out how I like.

Friday morning, I'm at breakfast with a friend and I decide to restore back to BB v.04 2.2 that was running prior to Insaneneiviesis and while I'm waiting for the food, I'm watching the phone shut down but when it tries to boot up, gets stuck on the M logo. 4-5 battery pulls and it finally boots up back in to Insaneneiviesis and I reflash clockworkmod about 5 times and try to restore again. This time it goes through. During this whole time, my iPhone buddy is friggin' amazed that I can do this whole back up and restore thing any time, anywhere ;)

So now the phone is back to BB v.4 and I finish out the day without any hiccups. Yesterday I get up and unplug the phone and set it on the coffee table while I feed the droidforum addiction on the laptop. After about an hour I turn the screen on and I'm still at 100%. At 2.5 hours, after numerous checks, it finally drops to 90%! Today, after 8 hours, and normal use (for me), I'm at 70% where normally I'd be at about40-50%!

I don't know. But I know that I'm going to try hard (and probably fail) to not mod anything for some time. I like the set up and the looks I have now and if I can have good battery life too, then I'm good.

So i just wanted to share the battery saga with everyone to see what you thought it was. Also, not only is every droid different, but I think the code has something to do with how things work, not just the GUI.

Last edited:

xliderider

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm in the same situation as you. I had pretty bad battery life previously, but I'm on BB v0.4 now, and standby time is amazing. I don't even have my standby/sleep SetCPU setting at 250mhz, it's set at 400mhz because it sometimes displays wacky incoming call screens coming out of standby when set at 250mhz.

OP
Jim 777

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm in the same situation as you. I had pretty bad battery life previously, but I'm on BB v0.4 now, and standby time is amazing. I don't even have my standby/sleep SetCPU setting at 250mhz, it's set at 400mhz because it sometimes displays wacky incoming call screens coming out of standby when set at 250mhz.
LOL
After getting the battery back, I too am at min 400.

Do you get screens where you have trouble answering a call? My mom called and first thing she said was, "what was that noise?"

It was the vibrating that was still going when I answered. :D

xliderider

Reaction score
No, no audio problems. But I have seen call unlock screens where the horizontal slider bars to slide to answer or to ignore are vertical, not horizontal. :eek:

OP
Jim 777

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
No, no audio problems. But I have seen call unlock screens where the horizontal slider bars to slide to answer or to ignore are vertical, not horizontal. :eek:

Hmm, haven't seen that one [/hijack]

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have to admit the sapphire 0.70 with P3 kernels is real good with battery life. Im running 1.1 ghz.

OP
Jim 777

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have to admit the sapphire 0.70 with P3 kernels is real good with battery life. Im running 1.1 ghz.

The thing is, and this is what I was trying to get across, is that all the droids are different. I mean, unless you improved your life by like 40-50% by switching to that ROM, then more than likely you had a droid that was easy on the battery already. I just don't believe that "this ROM with this kernel and these setCPU settings and Ultimate Juice" is the answer to the elusive and over-posted issues with battery life.

I bought my droid at the same store that a friend did, and there's a night and day difference in battery life between the two phones.

I'm not discounting your input, by any means, but I've now experienced two vastly different battery use with the same ROM/kernel set up on the same phone. Weird.

Last edited:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I hear you, its similar how some phones can run a kernel o/c at 1300 easily, and other have reboot issues at 1000. My phone will run o/c at 1100 easily, but it has tobe 1100/250. If I try to run any thing lower then 250 (like some of th 125 kernels) my phone will reboot or just shut down.