SS 4.x - bkapps and rstapps - What R They?

Tornado Rex

Reaction score
I'M SORRY IF THIS HAS BEEN ASKED,,:
can i put this scripts into another rom (ie, Bugless .4) and execute them to backup my things? then i could restore them with another rom or not?

sorry if its been asked
Yes you can

jchavez

Reaction score
I did the restore, and yes, I got the force close a lot of times, but I ignored it, and it finished, rebooted and all my apps work fine

crownroyal

Reaction score
ran bkapps -c and it seemed to do fine, I have the file chevy1/backup on sd..i flashed 4.4 without a hitch..when i run rstapps -c it says nothing to restonre, run bkapps first .where did I screw up? Thanks!!

Tornado Rex

Reaction score
ran bkapps -c and it seemed to do fine, I have the file chevy1/backup on sd..i flashed 4.4 without a hitch..when i run rstapps -c it says nothing to restonre, run bkapps first .where did I screw up? Thanks!!
You probably ran an old version of bkapps. Grab the one from the OP in the 4.4 topic and flash it to your old ROM. Re-run bkapps -c and you should be fine. All your apps should be stored in /sdcard/SimplyStunning/apps/

brochaos

Reaction score
I run the bkapps -c and I get a awk: not found [: not found ... It creates a Simply Stunning folders, but they are all empty. What am I doing wrong?

It seems your ROM (whatever you are running) has not setup busybox correctly ... run the command below and see if you see what I see:

ls -l /system/bin/awk

-rwxr-xr-x root shell 1120536 2008-08-01 12:00 awk

if i get no such file or directory, what am i doing wrong? my busybox was installed by titanium backup...

OP
ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I run the bkapps -c and I get a awk: not found [: not found ... It creates a Simply Stunning folders, but they are all empty. What am I doing wrong?

It seems your ROM (whatever you are running) has not setup busybox correctly ... run the command below and see if you see what I see:

ls -l /system/bin/awk

-rwxr-xr-x root shell 1120536 2008-08-01 12:00 awk

if i get no such file or directory, what am i doing wrong? my busybox was installed by titanium backup...

If you know where busybox is sitting .. you can mount system rw, and then:

<path-to-busybox>/busybox --install /system/bin

OP
ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
A quick one-liner:

sysrw; `which busybox` --install /system/bin; sysro

rickt1152

Reaction score
I'M SORRY IF THIS HAS BEEN ASKED,,:
can i put this scripts into another rom (ie, Bugless .4) and execute them to backup my things? then i could restore them with another rom or not?

sorry if its been asked
Yes you can

I've been using SS 4.4 and 4.3 before that. Overall pretty happy except for some launcher lag issues with both the stock and Launcher Pro. Wanted to try another Rom just to see if the same issues are present there. Any way, my question is exactly how can I use rstapps in another Rom to restore my apps and data. I did an update.zip install with the bkapps and as far as I can tell it does not contain rstapps.

dboss007

Reaction score
Is there a way to completely remove bkapps using ADB? Unless I use the SS ROM, it eventually throws my phone into boot loops after I install. I haven't used the restore function on any other ROM's, it just seems like the phone doesn't like bkapps being installed.

Thanks!

djrakun

Reaction score
i'm just curious as to why bkapps and titanium backup can back up the data/settings for all of my apps, but not the account settings for the stock email app. Every time i change roms i have to set up all of my email accounts again. Anybody have any insight?

OP
ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
i'm just curious as to why bkapps and titanium backup can back up the data/settings for all of my apps, but not the account settings for the stock email app. Every time i change roms i have to set up all of my email accounts again. Anybody have any insight?

I do not use the stock email app for anything - will try to do some testing however

NoValidTitle

Reaction score

did you do bkapps -c? the -c backs up all account settings. I have a gmail, exchange, and facebook account setup and they all get backed up and restored if you I put the -c on both bkapps and rstapps.

--------------------------------------------------------

Now the issue I have which could be totally unrelated to bkapps but I'm not sure...

Every now and again apps will fail to update over the market. No matter how many times I try it will fail. Once it fails the app no longer shows as "Installed" in the market it shows as "Free" and when I click it it has the install option but fails. I have to use a file browser to uninstall the app and then it will install through the market just fine.

*edit* I just did a bkapps -c, did a clean install of 4.5 then rstapps-c. I went into the market and my ustream was out of date I hit update and it downloaded then gave me a triangle icon with a ! in it and said Installation unsuccessful and now it no longer shows installed on the market, just says Free but it's still on my phone and runs.

Keep up the good work! I :heart: your roms.

djrakun

Reaction score
Chevy actually gave me the clue to why the email app doesn't save with bkapps -c in another thread, so I thought i'd propogate: if you come from a leaked rom, the email app is called EmailGoogle.apk and in his rom, bc it is from source, is Email.apk. settings won't transfer because the apps are not techically the same app.

NoValidTitle

Reaction score
Chevy actually gave me the clue to why the email app doesn't save with bkapps -c in another thread, so I thought i'd propogate: if you come from a leaked rom, the email app is called EmailGoogle.apk and in his rom, bc it is from source, is Email.apk. settings won't transfer because the apps are not techically the same app.

Ooo that makes sense. I had something strange happen this time around going from 4.4 to 4.5 I wonder if it's related but I thought 4.4 was compiled from source. After I rebooted into 4.5 and did my rstapps/rebooted the icons on my homescreen for my camera, gallery and corp email were android icons and when I clicked them it said those apps weren't installed on my phone. For the hell if it I did another wipe and tried again and got the same result. That being said all of my email settings/accounts carried over fine.