Sprint Claims: Make Free Wifi Calls with Google Voice!

HamDog

Reaction score
Just got this promotional mail from Sprint (snail mail, not e-mail). They're promoting the EVO and want me back!

See the attached promo and pay attention to the lower left hand side where it lists the great features:

>Google Voice - Make calls over Wi-Fi without using minutes.

WHAT???? Does Sprint know how Google Voice works? I'm tempted to just buy their cheapest plan and charge up thousands of minutes using my GV account and then tell them "you said it was free over wifi and I was at home hooked up to wifi"! :icon_ banana:

Just kidding. But this is a serious misrepresentation on their part. GV does NOT use Wifi to place calls, it uses minutes. :icon_eek:

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section. I wasn't sure where something like this belonged.

SGTiger

Reaction score
Well now that Google Voice allows free phone calls through gmail on a computer, perhaps Sprint is allowing a GV app on their service that does the same thing?

OP
H

HamDog

Reaction score
Well now that Google Voice allows free phone calls through gmail on a computer, perhaps Sprint is allowing a GV app on their service that does the same thing?

Damn! I didn't even think about that. But I thought anyone could use the "make a free call through Gmail" and it wasn't necessarily tied to GV (although you can use your GV). I could be wrong. But if I'm right, the ad would still be misleading. They probably should have said you cam make free calls using your Gmail account rather than Google Voice.

Good catch!

djrakun

Reaction score
Gv callback, combined with sipdroid, gives you free wifi phone calls. If sprint releases an app, I hope someone cracks it for verizon

RemyL75

Reaction score
I was able to do it with GV, fring and sipgate. But it wasn't just GV. There may be a way to do it now, so I will go back and research it again.