Sprint Brings Back Two-Year Contracts

JKZ

Reaction score
That is so far from truth, it's stupid!
Whether I buy phone for $800 or $200 on contract my unlimited everything on Verizon is still $10 a month. So on contract I save $600 right away.

Settle down there internet tough guy. It's not stupid at all. Just because you are on some kind of strange $10/month plan that 99% of people can't have, doesn't mean the facts are stupid. This article is referring to Sprint so let me lay it out for you, based on their webpage. Also I'm not even referring to what you pay for your data plan. I'm strictly talking about the cost of the phone + monthy line access charges. That's the only way to see which way is truly cheaper to get the phone because they are independent of your data plan.

Let's use the Galaxy S7 for example. If you buy the phone outright or on installment plan it is $650. You then pay $20/month line access. Over two years $20/month = $480. Add that to the $650 and you get your cost over two years for the phone + access. It is $1130.

Now if you get the phone on contract according to Sprints website it is $200 for the phone and then you must pay a higher monthly access fee of $45/month. Over two years $45/month = $1080. Add that to the $200 you paid for the phone and you get $1280 over the course of two years. So the subsidized phone actually costs you $150 more over two years, which is exactly what I stated in my other post.

That is all I was saying, just because the phone is cheaper up front doesn't Sprint isn't going to recover the cost of the phone in some way. They just make you pay for it by charging you a higher access fee. Verizon does the same thing. If you bring your own phone to Verizon or buy on installments from them they now charge $20/line/month. If you buy on contract you pay $40/line/month.

I wasn't trying to be rude to the original poster as you were to me, I was just trying to inform him that it may not be cheaper, that is all.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Settle down there internet tough guy. It's not stupid at all. Just because you are on some kind of strange $10/month plan that 99% of people can't have, doesn't mean the facts are stupid. This article is referring to Sprint so let me lay it out for you, based on their webpage. Also I'm not even referring to what you pay for your data plan. I'm strictly talking about the cost of the phone + monthy line access charges. That's the only way to see which way is truly cheaper to get the phone because they are independent of your data plan.

Let's use the Galaxy S7 for example. If you buy the phone outright or on installment plan it is $650. You then pay $20/month line access. Over two years $20/month = $480. Add that to the $650 and you get your cost over two years for the phone + access. It is $1130.

Now if you get the phone on contract according to Sprints website it is $200 for the phone and then you must pay a higher monthly access fee of $45/month. Over two years $45/month = $1080. Add that to the $200 you paid for the phone and you get $1280 over the course of two years. So the subsidized phone actually costs you $150 more over two years, which is exactly what I stated in my other post.

That is all I was saying, just because the phone is cheaper up front doesn't Sprint isn't going to recover the cost of the phone in some way. They just make you pay for it by charging you a higher access fee. Verizon does the same thing. If you bring your own phone to Verizon or buy on installments from them they now charge $20/line/month. If you buy on contract you pay $40/line/month.

I wasn't trying to be rude to the original poster as you were to me, I was just trying to inform him that it may not be cheaper, that is all.
This, this, 100x this. Don't forget the activation fees when doing contracts too.

Basically what it comes down to is if you pay less for your phone, you're going to pay more for your service. If you pay more for your phone, you're going to pay less for your service. I write this out for my customers on a daily basis.

As for Sprint, I think they gave up too quickly. Look at AT&T. When they started Next, they had Next 12 and Next 18,and Next 24. Then they added Next 12 w/ down payment. These days, they only advertise Next 24 because it's 'lower payments' than other carriers (only because it's for 30 months). You give customers too many options and all it does is confuse them. At least get rid of the leasing option.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I say this to peeps all the time ...you don't save a damn thing on two year ...run the numbers ! In most cases you are not saving a thing but you feel better with the dog bone

6s Plus

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I say this to peeps all the time ...you don't save a damn thing on two year ...run the numbers ! In most cases you are not saving a thing but you feel better with the dog bone

6s Plus
I completely understand why people don't want to do payments. Usually, they are older generation that just don't understand. Most people just need someone to take the time to break it down visually, instead of just in one ear and out the other. Last week I converted a family of 5 that have purchased 3 phones in the last year on contract over to the payment mentality. Mostly because they trust me that I wouldn't lead them in the wrong direction, but because I wrote out the $40x24 months+phone+upgrade activation vs device payment breakdown.

Those damn old plans are a lot more difficult, but it just comes down to carriers were focused on making money for overages on minutes vs now it's on data. Ya win some, ya lose some. You can't convert someone that doesn't want to learn :)

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Are you saying you are able to buy a subsidized phone on an unlimited data line.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I've been saying that for past 2 years. And I was telling people that their unlimited plans are going to be worth thousands in the future. Most don't listen, but that's not my problem.
133e08941c67baaada999c935d29cc74.jpg