droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
Ugh...we are all way too sensitive now a days!! If I don't agree with or like something someone says I just move on. There is less stress that way. Just my opinion..

♡My Sexy Edge+♡

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree if we are talking about something an individual says, but in this instance, Sprint turned it into an advertisement. That's just crass and shows poor judgement.

As others have said in this thread previously, we all have freedom of speech, but that also means we should accept responsibility for how others will perceive what we are "speechifying." A business needs to be a bit more careful what they say, otherwise, they have the potential to alienate their customers.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ugh...we are all way too sensitive now a days!! If I don't agree with or like something someone says I just move on. There is less stress that way. Just my opinion..

♡My Sexy Edge+♡
We should all take a more "Zen" approach like @droidprincess! I like the idea of less stress! :)

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I agree with you all! Jonny Kansas, dgstorm, pc747, mountainbikermark! It's interesting because my boys and I have been having this ongoing debate about the whole pc hype. Of course they think it's absurd and much too overly sensitive. I think so too, sometimes. My other issue with everyone attempting to be pc, you have no idea where that person actually stands because their opinions and beliefs are so disguised with their being politically correct. At least when someone speaks their true mind, even when it is horribly offensive or disrespectful, you have an idea what that person's real attitude/biases/beliefs are. I do feel that the whole issue with being pc is that our language has become so careful that it's not genuine. Sometimes you're stuck wondering, "did that jerk just insult me? Do I need to watch my back?" And of course, if you try to confront their subliminal politically correct attack, they deny that they meant anything by it. Meanwhile, they're plotting to slash your tires because your presence pissed them off (lol, being a little absurd here but you never know). Basically, get rid of everyone being pc, and you know exactly what their attitudes are.

But when you're talking about not being pc in marketing, they're cutting off their own noses to save their faces. It hurts them in the end and is just poor business practice.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
See what you all do! I take a few minutes to post and everyone squeezes their posts ahead of me. So if I'm being redundant, it's not my fault, lol!

Last edited:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree with you all! Jonny Kansas, dgstorm, pc747, mountainbikermark! It's interesting because my boys and I have been having this ongoing debate about the whole pc hype. Of course they think it's absurd and much too overly sensitive. I think so too, sometimes. My other issue with everyone attempting to be pc, you have no idea where that person actually stands because their opinions and beliefs are so disguised with their being politically correct. At least when someone speaks their true mind, even when it is horribly offensive or disrespectful, you have an idea what that person's real attitude/biases/beliefs are. I do feel that the whole issue with being pc is that our language has become so careful that it's not genuine. Sometimes you're stuck wondering, "did that jerk just insult me? Do I need to watch my back?" And of course, if you try to confront their subliminal politically correct attack, they deny that they meant anything by it. Meanwhile, they're plotting to slash your tires because your presence pissed them off (lol, being a little absurd here but you never know). Basically, get rid of everyone being pc, and you know exactly what their attitudes are.

But when you're talking about not being pc in marketing, they're cutting off their own noses to save their faces. It hurts them in the end and is just poor business practice.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
See what you all do! I take a few minutes to post and everyone squeezes their posts ahead of me. So if I'm being redundant, it's not my fault, lol!
I'm not prejudiced or will ever be correctly accused of being pc. I don't like people. Any people. Period. End of discussion.
Children are not people. They grow up, unfortunately, to become people.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
@FoxKat My original intent in posting it was simply to point out that it was a big PR mistake by Sprint. While I agree that most people will not be offended by what the woman said, the fact that some people would be offended by it, is just bad marketing. This is especially true considering that many of Sprint's customers tend to be lower income as well as T-Mobile customers, which also makes it hypocritical.

I can see both sides. We definitely are becoming far too sensitive to being "PC" all of the time; however, in this instance, it was a case of marketing insensitivity, which is bad business. Sprint's upper level execs should have had better judgement ahead of time, instead of having to pull the ad after it pissed off a bunch of people.

The truth is we evolve as a society constantly, and what would have been nothing more than ribbing (for Jonny), or poking fun at someone in the very recent past, it now seems people would like to have become a punishable civil or criminal act. Thick skin is even an exaggeration now. There are those that don't even have thin skin.

And yet what I consider highly offensive, the flagrant promotion and use of racial slurs, violence, profuse use of vulgarity and sexual objectification of the opposite sex by the music industry for instance, or all of the above along with extremely vile savage actions depicted in the movie industry are not only accepted as entertainment and not considered offensive, but instead are cheered on by the very same classes of people this advertisement is apparently offending, and yet these (IMHO), far more offensive media result in billions of those same classes' hard earned money going for corporate profits and to create instant multi-millionaires out of nobodys, while they themselves are falling further into poverty.

Yes, it's marketing and PR faux pas, but it's not so discriminatory and savage as to warrant the backlash it's getting IMHO. If Sprint wants to take the risk then let them. Survival of the fittest comes to mind here. Instead of trying to make them something other than they are, let them make the mistakes and suffer the consequences accordingly. Don't buy Sprint, buy T-mobile and let your voices be heard that way.

Just ten short years ago this wouldn't be a subject of outrage, but instead a subject of funny advertising. It's one person's opinion, her unprovoked comments recorded with her permission. The Sprint rep perhaps should have been more neutral and instead tried to bring her around rather than nodding and agreeing, yes, but how offensive is it really?

I am a lower middle class person and believe me there are plenty of class levels above me, as well as some below me. There will always be someone who is higher and/or lower and it will never be a perfect world. I am offended nearly every day of my life by someone or something at some point, but in the grand scheme of things it's part of life and it will always be. The world can't be perfect for me because I am not identical to every other living being. My perfect world would likely in some way offend others as theirs would likewise offend me. And don't get me started on reality TV or the Pledge of Allegiance in schools.

What are we trying to teach our future generations, that it's only acceptable if everything done and said is sterile?...that is not OK to feel anything less than nothing? We are just now hearing that the recent peanut allergies epidemic may be as the result of not being exposed to peanuts often enough and young enough. Same goes for antiseptic hand washes, as it's now being said that it's possibly more dangerous for us to be germ-free than the germs are themselves. Antibiotics are making us more and more dependent on more antibiotics and less and less dependent on our own immune systems. If this keeps up we won't feel anything because we won't have to. We won't know happy because there is no sad.

The Disney movie Inside Out, which I was trying to stream on Chromecast (unsuccessfully), this week with my family on my laptop DVD player touched on this. The whole concept is that all emotions are needed, but need to be in balance. Joy (Amy Poehler), Sadness (Phyllis Smith), Fear (Bill Hader), Anger (Lewis Black), and Disgust (Mindy Kaling), all worked together, and when Riley Andersen (Kaitlyn Dias), the young girl was heading towards impending demise, while "joy" and "sadness" were lost, "joy" realized that Riley actually needed "sadness" to come back to her so that they together could ultimately rescue her and bring her back.

I'm not saying what was said is OK, but it's extremely docile compared to much of what we now call entertainment for instance (which by the way this was also meant to be in an elbow poke sort of way).

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited: