spreadsheet question

Sig

Reaction score
Howdy all, new to the forum.

Lived off my Blackberry for the last couple of years, and loved it due to the e-mail access.

However, part of my job entails technical applications in another industry, and I thought I'd be able to access some tech websites off the Blackberry, which proved interesting (AKA hard and slow on my end which took me back to my laptop).

Buddy picked up Droid, saw how quick he could get into certain websites and it sold me on the Droid (I've already learned how to store certain log on info directly into manufacturers websites off the Dolphin ap, or is there a better way?).

Love the phone (Droid X), still learning (got it last week).

However, another part of my job entails dealing with spreadsheets and PDF files.

I downloaded the free docs to go program, but think I may need to actually pay for something "better" out there. Any hints or advice or direction I should read up on if I want to store excel spreadsheets and PDF files?

What is the easiest way to store spreadsheets on the phone? What about memory space?

Any help would be appreciated in advanced.

Thanks

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
Howdy all, new to the forum.

Lived off my Blackberry for the last couple of years, and loved it due to the e-mail access.

However, part of my job entails technical applications in another industry, and I thought I'd be able to access some tech websites off the Blackberry, which proved interesting (AKA hard and slow on my end which took me back to my laptop).

Buddy picked up Droid, saw how quick he could get into certain websites and it sold me on the Droid (I've already learned how to store certain log on info directly into manufacturers websites off the Dolphin ap, or is there a better way?).

Love the phone (Droid X), still learning (got it last week).

However, another part of my job entails dealing with spreadsheets and PDF files.

I downloaded the free docs to go program, but think I may need to actually pay for something "better" out there. Any hints or advice or direction I should read up on if I want to store excel spreadsheets and PDF files?

What is the easiest way to store spreadsheets on the phone? What about memory space?

Any help would be appreciated in advanced.

Thanks

My need for spreadsheets are portability and access wherever I'm at. I simply use google docs. But my spreadsheets are 'simple' spreadsheets. I've had some complex ones I would never imagine trying to use with google docs. So I'm not sure how complex you need them.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you use Dolphin HD or xScope you can set user agent to Desktop/Computer and access non-mobile versions of sites...like google docs and gmail

OP
S

Sig

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'll need to look at the google docs.

Use to live off my laptop and the one at the house, and when I used my old blackberry, perhaps it was just me, but anything in an excel spreadsheet was almost worthless to me (trying to view the "whole" document to "zero" in on what numbers I actually had to be looking at).

OP
S

Sig

Reaction score
I use the paid version of Docs To Go and it lets me edit/create Excel spreadsheets and view PDF docs.

I actually tried to download that ap, but somehow I must of screwed it up and I cancelled it (again, probably due to my own fault). Being new to this "ap" thing, it may take me a while.

I'm actually sending that company off an E-mail, hope they respond next week.

Does it download "on the spot" ready to go, or does the company have to do something on their end?

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is totally unrelated, but just a cool office-type thing that a friend told me about. You can fax from your droid! I use scanR business center but there are others if you search the market for "fax". The scanR free trial lets you send free faxes (is that 5 per day or 5 total, I still don't know). Anyway, it comes in very handy on the road and works amazingly well. You can also scan to pdf with the phone. Really amazing results...with the droid 1 camera anyway.

REMilk

Reaction score
I use the app "QuickOffice Connect" to view and edit MS Excel spreadsheets and MS Word docs and PowerPoint presentations.

I use the free Adobe Reader to read pdf files.

Bob

OldguyMark

Reaction score
The paid version of 'Doc to Go' will pretty much do everything you want, except run macros in Excel ... I hope they wll add that in the future ....

2 cents :)

REMilk

Reaction score
I use the free Adobe Reader to read pdf files

I just use the built in pdf viewer and it seems to work fine. Is the adobe one much better?

Thanks for pointing this out! 2.1 did not have a built-in pdf reader. I have removed Adobe Reader, saving over 3meg of memory, and am not using the PDF reader that is part of QuickOffice.

Bob

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I use the free Adobe Reader to read pdf files

I just use the built in pdf viewer and it seems to work fine. Is the adobe one much better?

Thanks for pointing this out! 2.1 did not have a built-in pdf reader. I have removed Adobe Reader, saving over 3meg of memory, and am not using the PDF reader that is part of QuickOffice.

Bob

I've been using the built in PDF reader since android 2.01.
2.1 has it too.
FYI

Last edited: