Speech to Text - How Can There Be A Difference?

billyk

Reaction score
I've been using S2T a lot since 2.1 came out. As a Swype user, I typically hit the menu button and access the Mic from there. Worked great.

For the past week, I have been 100% unable to get punctuation to work correctly. When I say "period" at the end of a sentence, I get the word "period". Same for other common punctuation. I just figured that Google's speech logic/algorithms have been suffering, and maybe good S2T will occur again for me at some point.

So, I tried the HTC keyboard as of yesterday. I tried S2T from their keyboard - it got the punctuation right. I've been using S2T often since and it gets punctuation 100% correct. I switch over to Swype - and I can't get any punctuation to work properly.

How can this happen? This is a back-end service provided by Google to any app, right?

I wouldn't be posting if there was some variation in this, but it's 100% right with HTC, 100% wrong with Swype, even when I say the same sentences!

Explain this one!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's not getting the period because it's having menopause?:rofl3:

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.

And if I don't say it, someone will.;)

pyro6128

Reaction score
I've been using S2T a lot since 2.1 came out. As a Swype user, I typically hit the menu button and access the Mic from there. Worked great.

For the past week, I have been 100% unable to get punctuation to work correctly. When I say "period" at the end of a sentence, I get the word "period". Same for other common punctuation. I just figured that Google's speech logic/algorithms have been suffering, and maybe good S2T will occur again for me at some point.

So, I tried the HTC keyboard as of yesterday. I tried S2T from their keyboard - it got the punctuation right. I've been using S2T often since and it gets punctuation 100% correct. I switch over to Swype - and I can't get any punctuation to work properly.

How can this happen? This is a back-end service provided by Google to any app, right?

I wouldn't be posting if there was some variation in this, but it's 100% right with HTC, 100% wrong with Swype, even when I say the same sentences!

Explain this one!

how do you get speech to text using swype? I usually have to switch my input method if I wanna use s2t.

OP
B

billyk

Reaction score
Should have been properly stated: I use S2T when using Swype in Handcent SMS. There, it's under "Menu".

-bk

thenowherekid

Reaction score
The handcent s2t probably isn't as advanced as the one provided by google. Using googles s2t allows you to punctuate and it seems handcent does not.