dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
motorola-moto-g-front-single.jpg
Motorola_Moto_X_front-single.png
google-nexus-5-front-single.png

Since these three devices are the current pinnacle of customization and are designed with the tinkerers/modders in mind, we thought it would be worthwhile to offer a comparison between the new Motorola Moto G, the Motorola Moto X and the Google Nexus 5. With a $180 off-contract price, the new Moto G could be worth grabbing simply as a backup, a secondary mod testing device, or any number of creative uses. Because of this it could give the Nexus 5 a run for its money.

Of course, this also depends on how easy it is to unlock the bootloader for the Moto G. The Nexus 5 is already built to be super-friendly to the tweakers of the world while Motorola is not so much. Still... knowing our developer community, the Moto G will probably be ready for the same treatment in short order.

Here's the primary spec comparison:

motog-motox-nexus5-chart.png

What do you guys think of the new Moto G compared to these other devices? At this price it is very tempting...

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
For $179, I may actually get a Moto G for the hell of it. Pretty sure I saw it was available on TMobile. Heh, if it works for Sprint, I may do that and use it for a work phone. We still have crappy old flip phones at work.

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
1.Moto-G, Droid-X, 3.Droid 2
Twitter
@AECRADIO
For the price, I don't think these will sit on shelves long.
The display is easily on par with the 'X' in terms of resolution/density, and the camera is not so disappointing as to leave you wishing you spent more, either.
As for LTE, that I believe will be a region-specific as there are a lot of RSA/MSAs without LTE at the present time.
I do think this device will be a hit, and should really be a fast mover for prepaid accounts. Choices drive markets, and a better than average product selection, especially for the prepaid market has been sorely needed for years.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
One of the previous posts suggests that the Moto G it has a Adreno 305 GPU.

Very impressive Mid tier phone.

squeak

Reaction score
Verizon is going to carry a phone without 4g?

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
1.Moto-G, Droid-X, 3.Droid 2
Twitter
@AECRADIO
I find it odd, that prepaid users ALWAYS get stuck with low-tier devices, and they pay before they get network access, and can be shut off a lot easier as well. We also buy added services and actually, most of what we used to get as post paid account holders, we still purchase, but for whatever reason, the carriers always place little to no value on prepaid customers, and never give them (us) any choices for new devices, it's always bottom of the barrel selections, but it has improved, we are no longer stranded in flip-phone hell like we used to be.

I now try to burn through as much data as I can, and I used to be thoughtful and considerate about hogging bandwidth, but no longer, I push it right to the edge.
But I shouldn't complain, I PREFER to purchase our devices outright, instead of the standard welfare plan the carriers love to lock customers up with. Two years, and if a minute less, we nail you with an ETF that would gag a T-Rex.