South Korean Grocery Shopping with Smartphones

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;fGaVFRzTTP4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGaVFRzTTP4&feature=player_detailpage]YouTube - ‪Tesco Homeplus Virtual Subway Store in South Korea‬‏[/video]

It seems the South Koreans are on the "bleeding" edge with technology sometimes. Earlier this year they successfully tested 600Mbps download speeds on Advanced-LTE wireless networks. Now, it also appears that they are already shopping with their smartphones, although this technically isn't NFC technology at work yet. The British grocery chain Tesco in South Korea have been testing a new business model for grocery shopping, that has become a big success. The idea is brilliant in its simplicity, and I just had to share it with you. Tesco has what they call "virtual stores" which are basically just giant pictures of grocery items, plastered on subway walls, that each have their own qr code. Scan the code and pay for it with your online cart, and then the grocery items are later delivered to your home! Not only does it make grocery shopping more convenient and easier, it even allows you to utilize your wait time more effectively. It even creates more jobs, by employing delivery drivers! Check out the video above for a perfect idea of the process.

I would love to see this in the U.S. as soon as possible! What do you guys think?

Source: Shine - Yahoo!

Last edited:

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
What advantage would this have vs. just grocery shopping online?

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
It's kind of cool when you consider that you're waiting for your subway train anyway so you might as well be productive during that time, plus you don't have to wait in a line at the market which can get tedious. "Price check on prune juice..." :wink: I could see something similar in buses, taxis, etc. I think the only thing that would make it expensive is the shipping costs but it's a convenient factor. Like those vending machines that charge $1.50 for a 75¢ candy bar; it's partially the convenience you're paying for.

sqchram

Reaction score
I'd want a virtual 3d world where you walk through and browse products, then select to your cart, or by keyword search, then check out.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
So what happens if all you need while waiting for the train is a Coke? I can see the convenience of shopping for dinner items but for the immediate things you might need that day you'd likely still end up going to a real store. Also, what happens if you order perishable items and you aren't home when they deliver? How many items are going to perish in the delivery process? I think a better option is just to have a warehouse with a bunch of windows like a bank where you go to pick up the items you've already purchased online. This way you can buy everything wherever and pick it up after work vs. trying to adjust your schedule to the delivery guy. Nice concept though.

sqchram

Reaction score
So what happens if all you need while waiting for the train is a Coke? I can see the convenience of shopping for dinner items but for the immediate things you might need that day you'd likely still end up going to a real store. Also, what happens if you order perishable items and you aren't home when they deliver? How many items are going to perish in the delivery process?

Well, yes. Brick and mortar stores will still continue to exist in this world....

and ever heard of Online Grocery Store & Food Delivery Service ?

spoooon

Reaction score
Would be the bomb here in places where mass transportation use was more widespread. If I had to wait on a bus or subway, this would be super convenient.