Soon-To-Be Newbie

Shill

Reaction score
Last night I just canceled my order for the DX and ordered a Fascinate. What a headache. 2 days ago I placed the order for the DX, which was a few weeks out on backorder. I joined here and started asking about the Fascinate and quickly changed my mind. So I called up verizon and they cancelled my order for the DX and placed a new one for the Fascinate. Well, that's where the problems rose, I do not have enough fund on my card to purchase the Fascinate until the funds from the cancelled DX return to the account. No biggie, i qualified for it to be billed to my account. But, the $100 credit I used for my DX was not showing up, eventually he got the every 2 credit back on my account but it was showing up as $50 because I had switched my plan to the 450 minuted from the 900 minutes when I purchased the phone, so it had dropped my credit down. Took an hour on the phone to get it all straightened out. But my Fascinate will be less than $100 after my mail in rebate.

Well, now I know i'm not a droid user "YET". I am part of the forums and i'm here to ask for some help in preparation for my fancy new phone. I am migrating from a blackberry curve 8330 so this droid will turn my world upside down. What should I look into? Probably a car charger, a case, screen protector, extended battery, some great apps, etc...

When I get it, i'll have to probably charge it up quite a while, activate it, probably install some updates. What else should I keep in mind to do? Settings I should change? I want to change it to google instead of bing, that's for sure. are there faster web browsers, better apps, all the verizon bloatware to remove? Has anyone made a Fascinate for newbies write up yet?

Appreciate all the help i've recieved from the forums this far, and look forward to being a part of it.

-Spencer

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
If VZW installs a Task Killer, uninstall it first thing...if they don't install one follow suite and don't do it either...that will save you headaches galore, besides that enjoy the Fascinate :)

OP
S

Shill

Reaction score
I know every once in a while on my blackberry, verizon would install items to my phone such as bing search, and blackberry app world, and vcast. Pointless stuff. I'd keep uninstalling it but it'd keep popping back up in a few days. I hate how verizon sends these weird apps over the air like that. Hopefully there isn't such things on the droids, but most likely is. Any way to stop/block it?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
:welcome: to the Droid Forums. Technically speaking you will have an Android phone, not a Droid but it's all good, it's the same family.

I don't know much about the fascinate but I believe to set your Fascinate they way you want it set up you will need to root. Be aware that rooting will void your warranty, some care about that some don't.

I always tell everyone who's new to put Screebl on their phone. It will help save battery and it will keep you from having to constantly turn your phone's screen back on.

No task killers, not needed and if Verizon says you do need it ignore it. They are just employees they don't know any better. :D

OP
S

Shill

Reaction score
rooting will void your warranty
Will this void the 1 year manufacturer warranty? What sort of things typically go wrong with these phones? Just abuse and wear and tear? Anything a tech geek can't fix? By the time such things go out I seem to find that they sell replacement screens, and alot of the times my USB solder joints come desoldered. All easy fixes to me. I plan on buying a rugged case. I take good care of my phones, never drop them but once every few years. Except for when I let the girl use it, she drops it left and right, forgets it is sitting on her lap when she climbs out of the car. Which is why I should get a rugged case for such times. I didn't see any listed at the droid store on this site, are we allowed to ask for links to external sellers when something is not yet on the site?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
rooting will void your warranty
Will this void the 1 year manufacturer warranty? What sort of things typically go wrong with these phones? Just abuse and wear and tear? Anything a tech geek can't fix? By the time such things go out I seem to find that they sell replacement screens, and alot of the times my USB solder joints come desoldered. All easy fixes to me. I plan on buying a rugged case. I take good care of my phones, never drop them but once every few years. Except for when I let the girl use it, she drops it left and right, forgets it is sitting on her lap when she climbs out of the car. Which is why I should get a rugged case for such times. I didn't see any listed at the droid store on this site, are we allowed to ask for links to external sellers when something is not yet on the site?
Rooting voids the warranty, yes. I haven't a clue as to what can go wrong with a Fascinate, it's brand new so nobody really knows if anything will go wrong with it. We probably will be getting cases for it soon, like I said it's so new we don''t know that much about it yet. I would look at Verizon for cases.

OP
S

Shill

Reaction score
Now, as far as apps go, they will work on any android phone? I don't have to find apps specific to my device?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Now, as far as apps go, they will work on any android phone? I don't have to find apps specific to my device?

You might, if you try real hard, be able to find some apps that won't work. But for the most part that shouldn't be an issue, most apps are updated to run on 2.2 now and you're running 2.1 so you should be OK. If you purchase an app and it doesn't work to your satisfaction you have 24 hours to return it.

OP
S

Shill

Reaction score
Thanks so much for all the advice. Truly an amazing community. If anyone else feels the need to chime in, please do so.

Discover

Reaction score
welcome to Android. :) good luck putting it down now.

1. read read read. this site is so full of valuable information that most if not all your questions can be answered.
2. avoid Task killers like everyone says.
3. Most of my must have apps require root, its a personal choice and it is risky because of the whole warranty thing. however there are methods out there where you can change your phone back to stock, and still have anyone that works at verizon never know the difference.
4. as far as cases go, i love the durable feel of this case from verizon.
(it wont let me link but i added a picture at the bottom)
i had one on my DROID, and now i have one on my fascinate.
5.High quality screen protector is a must.. our screens are the most vital part of any device. the only company as of now that makes one of these for our phones is invisible shield ZAGG | invisibleSHIELD | Samsung Fascinate Galaxy S Cases, Screen Protectors, Covers, Shields, Skins, Invisible Shield
in time more companies will offer the same for less.. like bestskinsever.com

i recommend you read about rooting before you do it. see if you are comfortable enough with doing what is required. its worth it to get bing and bloatware off and get google back. :)

Other then that enjoy your phone!!

OP
S

Shill

Reaction score
5.High quality screen protector is a must.. our screens are the most vital part of any device. the only company as of now that makes one of these for our phones is invisible shield ZAGG | invisibleSHIELD | Samsung Fascinate Galaxy S Cases, Screen Protectors, Covers, Shields, Skins, Invisible Shield
in time more companies will offer the same for less.. like bestskinsever.com
Ouch. $25 is rediculous. I plan on buying a rugged felt lined case. How many screen protectors do I get for the $14.99 price?

Discover

Reaction score
I hear you on the price that's why I'm waiting myself... The pack from verizon has three.

OP
S

Shill

Reaction score
How is the pack from verizon? Does it have a noticable difference in visual quality? Does it stick off of the screen much? THat is the problem I had with my blackberry. I slide it in and out of my pocket constantly and the edges of the protector pick up alot of lint or catch on the pant edges and peel back.

Discover

Reaction score
The good thing about our phone is the edges are all rounded, and there is a lip that sticks up around the glass that is a tiny bit taller then the screen. This allows things to sit flush with each other when a protector is placed on the screen.

it's all about how good you are with putting the verizon ones on. As long as you don't get a bubble I don't think you'll have any issues with this phone. Case plus rounded edges on the phone should nt cause you any problems.

OP
S

Shill

Reaction score
I've actually not yet touched the phone. It won't be here for another 3-4 days.