Sony is Not Exactly Confident in the IP68 Water Resistance Rating of Their Devices

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Xperia-Z3-underwater.jpg

Updated: Sony finally responded to the stories regarding the water-resistance backtracking. Please see the update in the thread below.

According to a new report, Sony is backtracking a bit on their marketing confidence regarding the IP68 water resistance rating for some of their devices. On Sony's own mobile support page they had this to say, “Remember not to use the device underwater.” They also added, “The IP rating of your device was achieved in laboratory conditions in standby mode, so you should not use the device underwater, such as taking pictures.

Sony elaborates by saying,

“Sony devices that are tested for their waterproof abilities are placed gently inside a container filled with tap water and lowered to a depth of 1.5 metres. After 30 minutes in the container, the device is gently taken out and its functions and features are tested.

Moving or operating the device while it is submerged is not tested during the laboratory tests. There are also many environmental factors which we could not assess (e.g. water movement or water pressure changes during the movement), if a device is used underwater. Therefore we recommend not submerge our Xperia Z5 in water.”

Obviously these disclaimers are meant as a CYA maneuver, so we can't fault them for that, but they will definitely need to start changing their marketing promos then. They have plenty of ads (both pics and video) of folks actively using these devices in pools and other bodies of water. They have even claimed in marketing materials that the earlier generation Xperia Z3 had the “highest level of waterproofing” and was “fully waterproof.

Basically it sounds like Sony is less confident in the water-resistance of their newer devices and they want to forewarn consumers not to use them under water. It doesn't mean you can't use them around bodies of water or in the rain, it simply means they will not be a replacement for a truly water-proof professional camera setup. What do you folks think? Will this hurt Sony at all?

Source: Sony changes stance on waterproof phones: Do not use underwater | Xperia Blog

Last edited:

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I don't see this being a determining factor in someone buying this device. Sony is smart to cover their butts.... we all know the level of common sense (or lack thereof) with the general public these days.
Point is, this device can withstand a lot more than your average smartphone, and that's always a big plus.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Huh, it makes sense, but can Sony really legally change warranty rules on older devices like the Z3 and Z4? Doesn't sound right to me..

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
New z5 doesn't have port covers like previous generation of z phones. Hence why they aren't pressure sealed, only nano coated vs moisture.

With old gen z3v I dove into pools, jet skied in the ocean and all sorts of water activities. The only thing I noticed was headphone jack started oxidizing after a year because it doesn't have a cover like charge port. Little alcohol pad in the port took care of that.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Good point about the legality of it all. I would imagine that if you purchased your device when it originally came out, when those claims were actually being advertised, you can probably still get it replaced. It's more than likely that going forward, they won't be advertising it as "fully waterproof" and getting a water damaged Z3 replaced will be much more difficult.

The S5 had similar issues when it first came out. You started hearing about water damage from people who were trying to use it underwater to take pictures, and overall just being careless. I believe @pc747 knew someone who had a problem getting his water damaged S5 replaced, but I don't recall the specifics. I can tell you mine has gotten rain soaked a couple of times and I've had no problems with it whatsoever. I wouldn't go about jumping in the pool with it though.
Similar to @xeene 's experience, I know a couple of members on our S5 forum mentioned a head phone jack issue when their S5 took a dunk, but once dry (usually by the next day) it worked fine with no problems going forward.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
A switch like this would tick me off if I were a consumer ....oh sure you can fully submerge for up to the specs of ...wait..no..you shouldn't?? Don't change your specs on me!! Lol

Last edited:
Reactions: cr6

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I hear the potential for a class action lawsuit based upon false advertising. You can't sell something claiming one thing and then backpedal and essentially disavow or disclaim later, after sales under the original claim. There is a good possibility this will get more attention going forward. Advertising showing the use in or around water, especially in pills or the ocean will create an impression in the minds of consumers that it's safe to take pictures under water, and IP68 is pretty well defined... The first digit, the 6 is for solids, and the second, the 8 is for liquids. 6 says "Dust Tight", and "No ingress of dust; complete protection against contact."

8 says "Immersion beyond one meter" and " The equipment is suitable for continuous immersion in water under conditions which shall be specified by the manufacturer. Normally, this will mean that the equipment is hermetically sealed. However, with certain types of equipment, it can mean that water can enter but only in such a manner that it produces no harmful effects."

Where lawyers are going to attack is that the manufacturer may never have said to not use under water prior to now, and IP68 is pretty clear that continuous immersion beyond one meter is required to attain that certification. If you claim IP68 and don't specify limitations then is assumed there are none beyond the certification limitations. So unless you make the disclaimer they are making now, before you go to market, then the products sold at market under the general certification are not excluded from the full certification limitations.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Son responded to all of these stories:

"Sony has issued an official statement about its change in marketing/wording (via Xperia Blog)15:

“Sony Mobile is committed to providing the highest standards of product quality and customer service. Xperia models that feature levels of dust and water-resistance are validated independently and based on Ingress Protection (IP) standards agreed and usedacross the industry. We have every confidence in the qualities of Xperia devices, which are built to exacting technical standards and are designed to perform to high standards in normal usage.

“The recent changes to guidance we provide to our customers are designed to more clearly illustrate the best ways to protect devices in day-to-day usage. We communicate necessary precautions, and the specific parameters of ingress protection ratings, to help customers to protect their smartphones and tablets in line with the applicable warranty we provide.

“We have also recently updated our marketing visuals to better advocate sensible usage of our devices. The warranty terms provided for our products remain the same and any customer concerns will continue to be considered on a case by case basis in line with these terms.”"

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Son responded to all of these stories:

"Sony has issued an official statement about its change in marketing/wording (via Xperia Blog)15:

“Sony Mobile is committed to providing the highest standards of product quality and customer service. Xperia models that feature levels of dust and water-resistance are validated independently and based on Ingress Protection (IP) standards agreed and usedacross the industry. We have every confidence in the qualities of Xperia devices, which are built to exacting technical standards and are designed to perform to high standards in normal usage.

“The recent changes to guidance we provide to our customers are designed to more clearly illustrate the best ways to protect devices in day-to-day usage. We communicate necessary precautions, and the specific parameters of ingress protection ratings, to help customers to protect their smartphones and tablets in line with the applicable warranty we provide.

“We have also recently updated our marketing visuals to better advocate sensible usage of our devices. The warranty terms provided for our products remain the same and any customer concerns will continue to be considered on a case by case basis in line with these terms.”"

Which means we blew it and now we're trying to set more realistic expectations of its performance, but because the warranty is tied to the way it marketed if you use it to take pictures under water and it fails...complain, complain, complain, since we didn't tell you up front that it couldn't be used in this manner.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
We have recently updated our marketing visuals....so they're admitting that they opened themselves up to faulty advertising in their own commercials???? Man...so now I can't go play with sharks and swim with the lockness monster??? Phoooooweeee..