Something SERIOUSLY wrong w/ 0.6.1 battery life

bekyndnunwind

Reaction score
Something SERIOUSLY strange w/ my 0.6.1 battery life ...

1.) When I upgraded from 0.5 to 0.6.1, my battery life went from 20+ hours to ~10...

2.) When my battery gets to 5%, I can still use the phone for hours before it dies . I can even play 50+ minutes of Youtube videos before it will finally shut down.

3.) My phone's charge frequently jumps from 50% to 20%...

Thinking it was a battery calibration issue, I deleted the batterystats.bin file after my phone reached 100% charge, and let it fully discharge before recharging it for a few days now. So far this has not fixed the issues I am seeing, but I will report back if things return to normal.

I reverted to 0.5 and 0.4 to compare battery life and they seem to work like they should (and always have).

I redownloaded/reflashed 0.6.1 (wiped 4 times) and tried multiple kernels including stock.

I ordered a NEW replacement battery and it has displayed the same problems as my factory batt. I even checked the voltages - they correctly match the ranges I should be seeing for a good battery.

HELP !?!?!

Last edited:

FunnelWeaver

Reaction score
As stated in my thread, I'm experiencing very similar issues.

I am now nearly certain that this is an issue that lies within Android 2.2.1.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
It could be but it's not an issue across the board so there's more to it than just Android 2.2.1 or BB 0.6.1. What do you all have in common?

FWIW, I have no battery life issues. Battery life seems better with 0.6.1 for me.

gsDroid

Reaction score
It is perplexing how pretty much identical handsets following the same procedures to install a custom rom have such disparate results. My battery life was excellent under v0.5 and it is even better on v0.6.1. I can't believe how long my battery lasts under light/moderate loads. I'm running the stock kernel.

OP
B

bekyndnunwind

Reaction score
It is perplexing how pretty much identical handsets following the same procedures to install a custom rom have such disparate results. My battery life was excellent under v0.5 and it is even better on v0.6.1. I can't believe how long my battery lasts under light/moderate loads. I'm running the stock kernel.

Just wondering how often you have to charge your phone...

Mikosh

Reaction score
+1 for this. I can get about 2 or 3 hours on the 5% mark (x in battery icon). And it loves to jump from 50 to 20, tried calibrating as well....No luck

gsDroid

Reaction score
Just wondering how often you have to charge your phone...

I can go a day and a half between charges. I like to let it get to 15% or so before I charge. I do turn off the phone at bedtime and turn it on when I wake up. I do mostly wifi browsing, a few phone calls, reading and sending emails. I am totally impressed with 0.6.1 performance and battery life. Must admit, when I get locked into an Angry Birds session, my battery suffers.

peteralfonso

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
What kernels are you guys running? I am running BB EXACTLY as it comes and have insane battery life (not just saying that because I make the ROM).

OP
B

bekyndnunwind

Reaction score
What kernels are you guys running? I am running BB EXACTLY as it comes and have insane battery life (not just saying that because I make the ROM).

Hi Pete!

Kudos to you, I don't think it is a problem with the ROM specifically because other people running 2.2.1 android are experiencing this as well. LOVE your ROM and appreciate all the work you put into these quality releases :)

I am currently using LFY 900mhz 6.5 kernel, I will put the stock on back on to test it out. Is the stock kernel the LFY 800mhz 6.5 kernel ?

GDO7

Reaction score
Pete, I amrunning the stock kernel and experienced the same thing. I just did a fresh install and am trying some things out. After I did the initial install I realized that the market didn't maintain all of my apps so I backed up 0.6.1 and installed my 0.5 backup so I could remember all the apps that I had. I would have used Titanium Backup, but I had problems with it early on (using it now though because it has gotten WAY better). When I reinstalled my 0.6.1 backup, I started having the battery issues.

I just started over this morning with a fresh and clean install. Wiped 3 times and a 4th for good measure and am currently seeing what happens. I have been off the charger for 2 hours now and still at 100% with light use so it is looking good.

There has to be a common denominator between all of us that had the bad experience, but I haven't a clue of what it is. Reguardless, I will be a Bugless Beast user for life. You do great work, man!

FunnelWeaver

Reaction score

I'm running ChevyNO1's ULV 1100MHz kernel. I've also tried Slayher's kernels and experienced the same problems.

OP
B

bekyndnunwind

Reaction score
I posted this in another thread, but thought this might be helpful here...

Anyone see any similarities between setup? Here is what I'm using:

I don't use SetCPU, but my governor setting in the ROM toolkit is set on 'interactive' and I am using the LFY 1.6 900mhz slv kernel....

Launcher:
LauncherPro

Widgets:
Gold+Silver Price Pro
AudioManagerPro

Installed Apps:
ASTRO
Barcode Scanner
Car Locator
Chrome to Phone
Compass
Droidlight
Facebook (refreshes every 4 hours)
Gentle Alarm
Gold+Silver Price Pro (refreshes every 4 hours)
Google Sky Map
gStrings
Fadango Movies
Pandora
PhoneMyPC
Pkt Auctions (ebay)
Quadrant
Quickoffice
Shazam
SMS Popup
Talk (Gtalk)
Terminal Emulator
TiKL touch to talk
TV Guide Mobile
Twitter (updates every 4 hours)
Urbanspoon
USA Today
Weatherbug (no widget/autoupdate running)
Wireless Tether
xScope 6

FunnelWeaver

Reaction score
Launcher:
LauncherPro

Widgets:
gTab Simi Clock
Alarm Clock Plus V2
Circle Battery Widget
SwitchPro
Beautiful Widgets
Winamp
Dictionary.com Word of the Day

Installed Apps (Market Only)
Advanced Password Generator
Alarm Clock Plus V2
Amazon Kindle
And Explorer
Angry Birds
Angry Birds Season
Astro
Audible
Autokiller Memory Optimizer
Barcode Scanner
Bible
c:geo
Chrome to Phone
Dolphin Mini
Droid Life
DroidForums
Dropbox
eBay
Evernote
Facebook (Update OFF)
FXCamera
Game Time
GTasks
Listen
MetaMorph
Mint.com
Moviefone
My Verizon Mobile
Nesoid Lite
Pandora
Paper Toss
Password Generator
Paypal
Quadrant
Quick Settings
Revision3
Ringdroid
ROM Gripper
ROM Manager
Seesmic (Updates every hour)
SetCPU (ondemand)
Shootme
Smooth Calendar
SMS Backup
SNesoid
Spare Parts
Square
Stopwatch and Timer
System
Tasker
Tempmonitor Lite
The Weather Channel
Titanium Backup
Tumblr
Twit for Android
Twit.tv by Mediafly
Type Fresh
Voice Recorder
Wave Secure
Winamp
Wireless Tether
Word Search
Wordfeud Free
XDA

I didn't realize I had so many apps. Now, let's see if we can find similarities among those of us experiencing issues. It's also worth mentioning that I have e-mail setup with Exchange server for work.