Some Simple questions...

lethalpimp

Reaction score
...to you guys maybe, but not to me.

I rooted my phone, I went through the steps but I really wish i Understood WHAT i was really doing rather than just doing it.

Please correct me if I am wrong on this:

I used RSD Lite to flash my phone, put on a sprecovery file on the phone which kind of acts like the BIOS on a computer, installed through the froyo rom?

Also...wtf is baseband? do i need to update it etc.?

Busybox...i got it...no idea why.

In addition I saw a thread today that said there was a new version of froyo out, but I rooted yesterday...how do i check if I have the same version...and for future...in order to update do i Just Dl, put in root then boot into SPrecovery and restore what I just put in there?

I have been trying to understand all this stuff but you guys are so damn technical with your terms! heh. All help appreciated.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79

I rooted my phone, I went through the steps but I really wish i Understood WHAT i was really doing rather than just doing it.

I used RSD Lite to flash my phone, put on a sprecovery file on the phone which kind of acts like the BIOS on a computer, installed through the froyo rom?

Also...wtf is baseband? do i need to update it etc.?

Busybox...i got it...no idea why.

In addition I saw a thread today that said there was a new version of froyo out, but I rooted yesterday...how do i check if I have the same version...and for future...in order to update do i Just Dl, put in root then boot into SPrecovery and restore what I just put in there?

I have been trying to understand all this stuff but you guys are so damn technical with your terms! heh. All help appreciated.

I'm not too technical either.....

Don't have a good analogy for sprecovery. Its just an alternate recovery that allows unsigned updates to be flashed, as well as allows the use of nandroid to backup and restore your current ROM, and flash other roms in nandroid format.

The baseband is the radio software. Helps with signal strength.

Busybox is a set of command scripts that some root apps need to function properly.

To see what version of any ROM you have go to settings: about phone then scroll down to build number. Compare that to the latest and then you can stay with what you got or upgrade.

Hope that helped shed some light.
Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
Okay I am going to take a stab at answering some of your questions. I too am not the biggest tech person out there but I do understand some of this stuff. So here we go..............

I used RSD Lite to flash my phone, put on a sprecovery file on the phone which kind of acts like the BIOS on a computer, installed through the froyo rom? SPRecovery is (in simple terms) the base of rooting. You apply your ROMs (operating systems) over the top. So Froyo is actually a ROM that you install after you have flashed your SPRecovery file.

Also...wtf is baseband? do i need to update it etc.? Baseband is a radio frequency that your phone works off of. To my knowledge it is updated within the different ROMs you do not do it manually.

Busybox...i got it...no idea why. I understand that busybox is another set of commands that some of the ROMs need in order to operate. However, I do not have it and have not needed it for the ROMs that i have run.

In addition I saw a thread today that said there was a new version of froyo out, but I rooted yesterday...how do i check if I have the same version...and for future...in order to update do i Just Dl, put in root then boot into SPrecovery and restore what I just put in there? It sounds to me that you are running stock ROM. Go to your menu > settings > about phone. Then scroll down and at the bottom you will see your build number which I suspect says Pete something. This is the stock ROM. If you are wanting Froyo, you will have to download it and install it. I believe there are instructions to do so here on the forum.

Hope this helps some.

OP
L

lethalpimp

Reaction score
Ok well still a bit confused on just the version number...i go to build and it says "voles-userdebug 2.2 FRFxx 33333 test-keys"

The update said it was FRF57. GA DAMN THOSE TWO X's. Are they variables or what?

Btw thanks for your guyses replies!