Some questions about juice defender

Skurvy_Pirate

Reaction score
I have a few questions about juice defender for people who use the app and know it well.

First, do you have any streaming issues? Right now I have only had it happen a few times with satellite radio streaming and downloading and streaming podcasts. When I turn the screen off I guess there isn't enough data to keep the network on. I know there are some settings you can mess with in the pro version and I'm thinking about getting it. What settings work well?

The next thing I have noticed is that some of my widgets aren't updating correctly. Like BBC news will have a "headline available later" message rather than a headline. I am sure this is being caused by the widget trying to update when the data is off. What is the strategy to wok around this? I thought of turning the widgets updating frequency as high as it would go so that it would have a greater chance to update when data is allowed but this would also make it update when data is not allowed and cause the same problem.

Lastly, it seems to effect email syncing, which makes sense. I was in a movie and had my screen off and when I got out and started messing with my phone I received an email from 2 hours earlier. This is kind of the behavior you get with task killer apps. Is there a work around for this? It seems on this one that my above solution, turning up the update frequency might work since it doesn't give errors when it fails to get a data connection. Also, this may negate the battery gains since it is waiting up every 5 minutes to check for new mail. Although the data connection is off it still would be using CPU cycles. It seems like there should be a better solution.

Overall the app seems good but I am still hesitant to buy it for these reasons and because my usage on my phone is such that I have yet to see any big gains in battery life (I use it kind of heavily so the most drain is from the screen rather than data access).And I am using BB 0.4 which seems to be good on it's own for battery life.

A

anonydroid

I haven't experienced any of these issues you're having with JuiceDenfender. I still stream fine, both with YouTube and outbound with QIK or uStream. Can't discuss the the widgets problem since I don't have any up. I will say the only slowness I saw was with Live Wallpaper, but that didn't affect connectivity issues. As for the Email I'm sync'd up with my business exchange account as well as a separate Gmail and hotmail. none of them show delayed emails. Maybe another application is conflicting with your JuiceDefender?

OP
Skurvy_Pirate

Skurvy_Pirate

Reaction score
I have only had an issue streaming once or twice. Also, I think the settings in the advanced version would eliminate any problem all together.

The main concern I have is with email. Email uses the data network so I don't know how you aren't receiving any emails late. Gmail and I think exchange use push so there wouldn't be a problem with them I don't think, but the other email app would have an issue. Is that what you are using for Hotmail? If so, how often do you have it set to sync?

Another question is when JuiceDefender wakes up to allow data for a minute, does it force a refresh of email? Because then that might be a solution in some way.

bmxriderjack

Reaction score
I also just downloaded juice defender, I like the idea of the apn being shut off and what not, but I don't understand how this save so much battery life. My battery usage always says screen on is more than 50% of usage

Reaction score
screen on is almost always going to take up more usage than anything else, unless you're playing music with the screen off, then it is mediaserver.