Some kind of Voice Command has taken over my Droid Turbo!

btc1951

Reaction score
I feel like I'm becoming a PIA but this is really serious and I'm really trying to avoid a factory reset. I was setting up my Voice settings this morning - training it to know my voice, and somehow it is now saying every command or button I press... almost like an accessibility issue. But my settings screen won't scroll down down so I can access the accessibility settings to see if I accidentally set something there, and when I'm in Apps, it won't let me swipe past the first screen of apps. I need to know if there is any other solution other than factory reset! I have spent hours these last 3 days getting everything the way I want it. That has to be a last resort!

OP
btc1951

btc1951

Reaction score
Actually, after doing more research, I now think it has something to do with the Talk Back feature. But again, the phone won't let me get to the Accessibility settings so I can't investigate whether that's the problem.

gimpy1

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Droid Turbo
I would try going into recovery and wipe the cache partition. See if that would do anything to help. Might also try uninstall/disable the app you are having trouble with. Maybe try deleting the data for that specific app? These are some things I would try first before doing a default wipe.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OP
btc1951

btc1951

Reaction score
Screenshot_2014-12-01-10-30-40.png
Screenshot_2014-12-01-10-30-40.png Screenshot_2014-12-01-10-30-40.png Unfortunately I can't get to any of these places to uninstall/disable apps. I'm not even sure I could do a factory reset because I can't scroll down the settings page. I attached a screenshot of my settings page. It will not scroll down beyond this point.

gimpy1

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Droid Turbo
Have you rebooted? Turned it off and back on?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OP
btc1951

btc1951

Reaction score
OMG! I just found the solution. I kept Googling and came across this site:
How to Fix Lock Screen Issues When TalkBack Explore by Touch Are Enabled on Your Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Without going into a lot of detail, it said to swipe two fingers across the screen (without any tapping) and the screen will unlock. Well it worked. The phone is now free and I was able to go into the settings to Accessibility, and turn off the Talkback settings that I must have inadvertently set to on (not knowing what it was), thereby avoiding the dreaded factory reset. YAY!

brianne b

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
motorola droid turbo
omg you just saved me a trip to the actual store. i live 2 hrs from a verizon store and this same issue happend to me and the technical support had no idea how to fix it, which was way more frustrating. i am so thankful someone figured this out.

Yeti35

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S8+ w/ a Tech 21 case
Yes, Talkback is not something you really want to turn on. I all but renders the phone useless imo. I did it once, know what it is about and never went into that area again.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It's a great feature for people with visual impairments who need it to be able to use a touchscreen phone, but it certainly can cause problems if you don't need it.

Thanks for sharing your fix @btc1951

brianne b

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
motorola droid turbo
Yea it almost made me want to throw my phone at the wall lol. Thank goodness for this forum

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Thanks for your input brianna b! Glad this thread was able to help you resolve the problem.
Welcome to the forum!

S5 tap'n

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Yeah..glad to see the resolution... I for one wouldn't use this ..but I could see my parents using this feature and all sorts of mayhem ensuing...