So you think you don't need a screen protector huh????

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Gonna start off by saying I am borderline OCD when it comes to protecting and cleaning my gadgets. I keep my DX in the VZW case/holster combo. Only use a microfiber cloth with a tiny bit of water to clean the screen. I have not laid it face down or bumped it into anything. Should be good enough right??? Not!!! I was outside today and looked at my screen and something shiny caught my eye. A very tiny scratch right in the middle of the screen. In less than 48 hours!!! It is not deep, long or is it even noticeable with the screen on. But I know it is there and it is gonna bug me for the life of the phone. Where it came from is anybody's guess. I don't have a screen protector installed myself yet because it hasn't come in. So I was being even more anally protective than I usually am. And see what happened???

So to all of you naysayers. Keep on naysaying. But passing off bad information to people saying you do not need a screen protector is not the right thing to do. Not if you want to keep your screen pristine anyway. Obviously if someone as OCD protective as me can get a scratch anyone can.

kevroc

Reaction score
Maybe it was already there when you bought it, something that happened during assembly or prep? I'd be surprised if you're that careful with it that you caused the scratch.

the064cobra

Reaction score
I agree. I'm waiting for my protector as we speak. Why wouldn't I want to protect my gem? DUMB to those that think otherwise. I've always protected my devices and never had any issues while using them.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Microfiber? What the heck is that? You should something like a cotton towel or eyeglass lens cleaner tissues.

It's very hard to scratch a droid with Gorilla Glass.

I present my favorite video:

[video=youtube;eh2g7AIHdc8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh2g7AIHdc8]YouTube - Motorola Droid Scratch Test[/video]

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Microfiber? What the heck is that? You should something like a cotton towel or eyeglass lens cleaner tissues.

It's very hard to scratch a droid with Gorilla Glass.

I present my favorite video:

YouTube - Motorola Droid Scratch Test

I understand and have seen every video out there. But scratches still can and will happen. Like I said anyone that doesn't want to use one don't. But to tell people they don't NEED one is flat out spreading false information.

Microfiber cleaning cloths are like the cloths that come with anti-glare eyeglasses and soft bags that Oakley sunglasses come in. They are extremely soft.

Kevroc: That had actually crossed my mind. I am very tempted to go back to BB but I am sure they are gonna say I did it. And in all actuality I may have.

FireDroid

Reaction score
It is like a sunglass bag, usualy Oaklys come with them and they are used specifically for wiping glass surfaces.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I know I don't need one, let also want one. I have my naked Droid in my pocket for 8 months and the screen is perfect.....

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I understand and have seen every video out there. But scratches still can and will happen. Like I said anyone that doesn't want to use one don't. But to tell people they don't NEED one is flat out spreading false information.

Microfiber cleaning cloths are like the cloths that come with anti-glare eyeglasses and soft bags that Oakley sunglasses come in. They are extremely soft.[/quit]

That's your opinion, your entitled. I feel exactly the opposite, I think to tell people they need lens protectors isn't true. I prefer saying that then saying "spreading false information."

That's OK, we just disagree on that issue.

I have always used the moist towels that I get from WalMart on my plastic eye glass lens on my droid. Works great. And if it doesn't scratch my plastic lens, it won't scratch my Droid.

mjforte

Reaction score
I was really obsessed with using screen protectors when I first got my Droid. It used to annoy me though all the dust that would get under the protector though so I stopped using them. Been without one for the past couple months and not a scratch on my Droid. I even carry it in my pocket too.

nerdkill

Reaction score
i would return the phone. it sounds like a manufacturing defect. i beat the crap out of my naked moto droid and have zero scratches. if you don't return it you're going to stare at the scratch every day for the next two years.

jacobrv

Reaction score
I've had my Droid (Old, not X) for 8 months. Naked the entire time. Kept in pocket. Dropped, rubbed against keys, smacked into table edges and corners, sat on etc and not a single scratch to this day. I would be interested in seeing a comparison test between gorilla glass and whatever material screen protectors are made out of to see which is more scratch resistant. I would be willing to bet the gorilla glass would win as my dad's screen protector is scratched but my screen is not.

I know the idea is that the screen protector WILL get scratched, but by doing so it's putting itself between the screen and the danger. But I personally think that anything harmful enough to scratch the screen will do so even with a screen protector on.

That's not to say I don't believe in screen protectors period, I always kept a screen protector on my Nintendo DS, and now I always keep a screen protector on my PSP, but those screens just don't stand up to the quality of gorilla glass.

J

Johnly

Glass is tough to scratch, but nature made a ton of things that will scratch it. I was of the no case and screen cover camp, and soon enough I had three scratches on my screen (one was very noticable) and I don't even live by the sea (notorious for scratching anything glass) as coral is better built. It doesn't matter what kind of microfiber you use, if it hasn't been cleaned, the debris on it will scratch the glass. I dislike that video hook posted...that guy gashed up the sides of a perfectly good droid.....I dare him to try that with a rock! Brass keys are way to soft to scratch glass...

J

Johnly

I've had my Droid (Old, not X) for 8 months. Naked the entire time. Kept in pocket. Dropped, rubbed against keys, smacked into table edges and corners, sat on etc and not a single scratch to this day. I would be interested in seeing a comparison test between gorilla glass and whatever material screen protectors are made out of to see which is more scratch resistant. I would be willing to bet the gorilla glass would win as my dad's screen protector is scratched but my screen is not.

I know the idea is that the screen protector WILL get scratched, but by doing so it's putting itself between the screen and the danger. But I personally think that anything harmful enough to scratch the screen will do so even with a screen protector on.

That's not to say I don't believe in screen protectors period, I always kept a screen protector on my Nintendo DS, and now I always keep a screen protector on my PSP, but those screens just don't stand up to the quality of gorilla glass.
There is some military grade protectors out there that are far better than you describe:)

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have had a screen protector on my Droid since day one, as a matter of fact I bought the screen protector in late October ($2.99 from e-bay) and my Droid 11-6 so you see the importance factor as far as I am concerned.

My screen protector is still in good shape and I know the screen below is Mint, I wouldn't buy a phone without first having a screen protector for it. It is a great selling point when the time finally comes too sell, "original owner screen protector from day one" sounds and looks way better than "minor scratches on screen from daily use"

I really don't see why phones don't come with them pre-installed and if I scratched my screen on the first day because of no protection it would haunt me too