So we lose swype on 4.4?

niXerKG

Reaction score
I actually gotta pay for it now? Ugh.

Other than that phone is so much faster. Wish they brought back speed dial.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I have no idea why but it's gone.

OP
N

niXerKG

Reaction score
I also had to reset some sounds which was semi annoying. But other than that I can say things went smoothly. Just really miss swype. Might have to pay for it.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Paying is not a bad thing. Dev's need to live ya know...

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I actually gotta pay for it now? Ugh.

Other than that phone is so much faster. Wish they brought back speed dial.

You don't have to buy the Swype app if you do not want to. The Google Keyboard is free on the Play Store and has Gesture Typing built in (which is very similar to the swype setting we used to have). Once you download the keyboard, set it up as the default and enable Gesture Typing & it's very close to the swype setting you used to have.

OP
N

niXerKG

Reaction score
Paying is not a bad thing. Dev's need to live ya know...

Yeah except this came built-in when I bought the phone and on every other smartphone I've ever owned. Whose to say when I upgrade in Nov it won't come built-in and I'd be paying for nothing?

You don't have to buy the Swype app if you do not want to. The Google Keyboard is free on the Play Store and has Gesture Typing built in (which is very similar to the swype setting we used to have). Once you download the keyboard, set it up as the default and enable Gesture Typing & it's very close to the swype setting you used to have.

Thanks. Just tried it. It's just not the same.

Might research other keyboards if I'm going to have to pay for one.

OP
N

niXerKG

Reaction score
Sigh unless it's moved somewhere we also lose the ability to quickly set it to vibrate from the lock screen.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Sigh unless it's moved somewhere we also lose the ability to quickly set it to vibrate from the lock screen.

I believe that if you long press the power button when on the lock screen, there are toggle options for Mute / Vibrate and Sound On. It's not as quick as the old toggles, but still easier than unlocking the phone to set it to vibrate.

OP
N

niXerKG

Reaction score
I believe that if you long press the power button when on the lock screen, there are toggle options for Mute / Vibrate and Sound On. It's not as quick as the old toggles, but still easier than unlocking the phone to set it to vibrate.

Yeah. Again it's just these small things that are just head scratchers. Like when they removed speed dial.

But honestly my phone seems to run way faster or at least maybe the UI does and so far my battery life doesn't seem to be negatively affected.

splat10

Reaction score
the paid version of swype is a little different. I paid for it a while ago because i wanted some feature or another (can't even remember why now). The big thing on the paid version i hate is the dragon Voice to txt vs google (sucks) and the lack of navigation arrows on the main keyboard. That said i've been using the paid version over the pre-installed when i had the choice.

OP
N

niXerKG

Reaction score
Also found out if you have an Eye-Fi card and use the Eye-Fi app, the upgrade to KitKat broke the ability to select where your files are stored after they are uploaded from your camera.

Though this has more to do with Eye-Fi's app since it has not been updated to deal with the changes KitKat brought.

splat10

Reaction score
Also found out if you have an Eye-Fi card and use the Eye-Fi app, the upgrade to KitKat broke the ability to select where your files are stored after they are uploaded from your camera.

Though this has more to do with Eye-Fi's app since it has not been updated to deal with the changes KitKat brought.

Its my understanding that third party apps no longer have permission to write to external storage, which is why you can't save pics from the camera to the card

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

NOVICE

Reaction score
Its my understanding that third party apps no longer have permission to write to external storage, which is why you can't save pics from the camera to the card

You are absolutely 100% correct. Unless you root your phone.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro

The stock camera app still saves pics to the SD Card.

Sent from my XT907 using Droid Forums