So I'm stuck on what replacement phone to get from VZW!

IanG

Reaction score
I'm having an extremely hard time deciding which replacement phone I'd like to get from Verizon for my Bionic (so many Bionics, so little time... I just need a working phone!) I already told Verizon that I'd like a Razr (not MAXX, they can't do that) as a replacement, and they said that is fine. I may not have the possibility to switch choices, but I'm not sure which phone I should get between the Droid Razr and the Galaxy Nexus.

Some things that are important to me are:
Battery Life (yes I know, 4G LTE and battery life don't go hand in hand quite well)
Screen quality (not size or density, but how well it looks)
Data Connectivity (I live in an area where I get very low cell reception, even though I'm a mile from downtown, but this one is really important)

In your eyes, with the recent update to Android 4.0.4 on the Razr and given the important things above, would you stick with the Razr or go with the Galaxy Nexus? I've heard the Galaxy Nexus has some battery issues with 4G and low connectivity. As a side note all of my friends, including one who works at a cell phone retail store, said I should go with the Razr. Even Verizon reps said they would probably pick the Razr, but I want to know what DroidForums thinks. Thank you!

skennelly

Reaction score
Personally, I would choose the Nexus. It is all personal preference. The best thing you could do would be to go to the store and mess around with both of them.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
With ics, many are having 0 data drops with the razr and maxx. I hear that nexus is still having issues with connection. But I think they'll get it figured out. But its stabilized a lot compared to what it used to be.

Its all subjective, and personal preference :) which ever you decide, enjoy...

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

OP
I

IanG

Reaction score
Personally, I would choose the Nexus. It is all personal preference. The best thing you could do would be to go to the store and mess around with both of them.
I am going to try and visit the store before they close later this evening, but I do have a bit of hands-on experience with both, which is why I am so indecisive! :p

With ics, many are having 0 data drops with the razr and maxx. I hear that nexus is still having issues with connection. But I think they'll get it figured out. But its stabilized a lot compared to what it used to be.

Its all subjective, and personal preference :) which ever you decide, enjoy...

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!
That's great news to hear. I have heard that the Galaxy Nexus does have a few connectivity issues, so that may be another big plus for the Razr in my book. I appreciate the help, and any more insight is definitely appreciated as well.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Battery life: stock vs stock, the Razr wins. However if you decide to root and ROM, then the Nexus gets great battery life, and I'm sure battery life improves if you do the same with the Razr.
Screen quality: I guess you're asking responsiveness? Really can't go wrong with either. You're the first person I've seen ask about screens like that lol
Data connection: Motorola has arguably the best radios in the industry, Samsung has pretty much the weakest. I live in a very good connection area so I can't really vouch for either phone.

When you ask someone why they would choose that phone, it's bias, plain and simple. It will be your phone, not theirs. You need to address what you want in your phone. I highly suggest you check both of them out. Remember, you have a 14 (might be 15?) day return window if you don't like it. There's a small restocking fee ($30 i think?) so if you want to try both phones out you can.

As for verizon reps, I don't want to grill them, but I haven't heard of one rep pushing the Nexus for sale. Just for fun I went into the store, forgot my phone that day, and decided to see what the reps thought of the Nexus. Not a single rep recommended the Nexus to me, they said, "yeah it's a nice phone, but you're gonna have radio problems. If you want a phone that works I suggest the Razr maxx or the Rezound". Kinda fishy cause they're both within their Droid line, but who knows...

OP
I

IanG

Reaction score
Remember, you have a 14 (might be 15?) day return window if you don't like it. There's a small restocking fee ($30 i think?) so if you want to try both phones out you can.
Actually, I will not have a return window. This is a replacement phone through warranty for the many Droid Bionics I have gone through without receiving a working phone. That's why it's so stressful deciding which one to get!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Actually, I will not have a return window. This is a replacement phone through warranty for the many Droid Bionics I have gone through without receiving a working phone. That's why it's so stressful deciding which one to get!
Oh ok. Well then, have you checked out either of the phones in store?

OP
I

IanG

Reaction score
Oh ok. Well then, have you checked out either of the phones in store?
Yes, actually. I like both phones, but that's the problem. I like them both. I guess, here's what I want to know. I'm looking for things that I won't be able to see when I look at both phones in person in a store, such as signal quality, battery life, etc. Does the Galaxy Nexus still experience battery and connection problems? Is the Razr AMOLED screen really a setback due to pixelization? etc. Also, just curious on what others think when presented with this situation, and which phone they would go with.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Yes, actually. I like both phones, but that's the problem. I like them both. I guess, here's what I want to know. I'm looking for things that I won't be able to see when I look at both phones in person in a store, such as signal quality, battery life, etc. Does the Galaxy Nexus still experience battery and connection problems? Is the Razr AMOLED screen really a setback due to pixelization? etc. Also, just curious on what others think when presented with this situation, and which phone they would go with.

How about just grab one of them (toss a coin!) and if you dont like it, sell it and buy the other used. You should be able to do that and not give up and additional money. Win win!

Lightnspirit

Reaction score
My girlfriend just got the Razr in White and she LOVES it. Has really great battery life, 4G LTE is fast and just over all a great phone. FWIW she came from a Thunderbolt. lol.

Regulator

Reaction score
I'm having an extremely hard time deciding which replacement phone I'd like to get from Verizon for my Bionic (so many Bionics, so little time... I just need a working phone!) I already told Verizon that I'd like a Razr (not MAXX, they can't do that) as a replacement, and they said that is fine. I may not have the possibility to switch choices, but I'm not sure which phone I should get between the Droid Razr and the Galaxy Nexus.

Some things that are important to me are:
Battery Life (yes I know, 4G LTE and battery life don't go hand in hand quite well)
Screen quality (not size or density, but how well it looks)
Data Connectivity (I live in an area where I get very low cell reception, even though I'm a mile from downtown, but this one is really important)

In your eyes, with the recent update to Android 4.0.4 on the Razr and given the important things above, would you stick with the Razr or go with the Galaxy Nexus? I've heard the Galaxy Nexus has some battery issues with 4G and low connectivity. As a side note all of my friends, including one who works at a cell phone retail store, said I should go with the Razr. Even Verizon reps said they would probably pick the Razr, but I want to know what DroidForums thinks. Thank you!

Elaborate on how your getting this phone

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Regulator

Reaction score

When did u buy your first bionic?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Snoking

Reaction score
Why do people look right pass the VZW smart phone with best camera, great radios, cheap extended battery, best to hold, and will also soon get ICS?

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
Once again the Rezound doesn't get mentioned. To the OP, look into it. Awesome screen (better than the Razr) best camera, with an extended battery it's as good as the Maxx with battery life, less bugs than the Razr or Nexus, better radio the the Nexus and as good if not better than the Razr. Overall it's still one of the best if not the best phone VZ has out.

Sent from my HTC Rezound infused with ice cream goodness using Droid Forums.

Caesars

Reaction score
Well I love my maxx! That being said the ics on razr doesn't allow for 3G only, if I was in your shoes I'd go nexus with extended battey because a 1700ish mah battery is not going to go well on ONLY 4g lol. Now before that 1 in 1000 guy comes in here saying he gets 16 hours of moderate use on a razr with 4g on the entire time...lol please don't spread your lies ;-)