So i updated my phone and now it moves really slowly - i wanna go back to 2.0.1

adamosity

Reaction score
hey guys this is my first post.
and sorry its a post asking for help.
i was waiting patiently for the 2.1 update
and the night it came out i downloaded the update.zip from droid-life
put it in the root folder of my sd card.
when my phone was done updated and i got back to home screen
i noticed how laggy my phone was
after i use the web and gallery, all my icons go blank for a good 10-15 seconds and then pop up again.
it takes another 5 seconds to get to my text messages
and when i get phone calls, some times the screen freezes up for a few seconds and wont let me answer the call.
its crazy. i tured off the live wall papers, but im not sure that has helped.
ive been living with it for the past week, but today it got unbearable
this shouldnt be happening
i dont know whats up with my phone.
can i restore it some how?
go back to 2.0.1?
please help!

OP
A

adamosity

Reaction score
im sorry.
i forgot to mention i have a droid

JCo352

Reaction score
Yes you are going to have to use RSD Lite and flash the 2.0.1 esd56 sbf. Hold on let me find the link.

OP
A

adamosity

Reaction score
is there a way i could back up my contacts? so i could quickly download them to my phone again?

JCo352

Reaction score
is there a way i could back up my contacts? so i could quickly download them to my phone again?

Your contacts are saved to your Gmail. You might want to back up your apps though.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think guys that we need to tell people that if it's running slow it's not the OS. The OS 2.1 is faster then 2.0.1. The problem is one of two things: Either they have live wall paper they are running that's causing things to hang a bit or they need to do a factory data reset. Once they do this there is no need to go back to 2.0.1. Heck, sometimes all it takes is a battery pull after the update.

JCo352

Reaction score
I think guys that we need to tell people that if it's running slow it's not the OS. The OS 2.1 is faster then 2.0.1. The problem is one of two things: Either they have live wall paper they are running that's causing things to hang a bit or they need to do a factory data reset. Once they do this there is no need to go back to 2.0.1. Heck, sometimes all it takes is a battery pull after the update.

A lot of people have been saying this, I for one haven't noticed a slow down, and I updated manually. But a dev. has proven the FPS has been crippled with this update, from 60 down to 30.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
A lot of people have been saying this, I for one haven't noticed a slow down, and I updated manually. But a dev. has proven the FPS has been crippled with this update, from 60 down to 30.

Seeing is believing and I heard about the FPS being "slowed down," not crippled to these numbers you speak of. Still overall the update is snappier, you can see it specially on the internet where scrolling the pages doesn't have that herky jerkey thing it had with 2.0.1.

I'm not saying it's better then some of the ROMs that are out there. Matter of fact I'll go so far to say it isn't but it's definitely better then stock 2.0.1.

JCo352

Reaction score

Seeing is believing and I heard about the FPS being "slowed down," not crippled to these numbers you speak of. Still overall the update is snappier, you can see it specially on the internet where scrolling the pages doesn't have that herky jerkey thing it had with 2.0.1.

I'm not saying it's better then some of the ROMs that are out there. Matter of fact I'll go so far to say it isn't but it's definitely better then stock 2.0.1.

I'm not disputing the fact that you like the update, heck I love this update too. But there are too many people complaining about a slow down for it not to be true. And "these numbers I speak of" are right here Android 2.1 update causes major 2D slowdown on Droid | Ed Burnette’s Dev Connection | ZDNet.com

EDIT: Also I think crippled was the right choice of word to use, because from 60 FPS to 30, it's cut in half. What do you call someone in a wheelchair that paralysis half of their body?

Last edited:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I'm not disputing the fact that you like the update, heck I love this update too. But there are too many people complaining about a slow down for it not to be true. And "these numbers I speak of" are right here Android 2.1 update causes major 2D slowdown on Droid | Ed Burnette’s Dev Connection | ZDNet.com

EDIT: Also I think crippled was the right choice of word to use, because from 60 FPS to 30, it's cut in half. What do you call someone in a wheelchair that paralysis half of their body?

It's not that I question the numbers, and I looked at the video. I see that is fact. What I do question is how it truly translates on how the Droid's real speed is.

Now maybe I'm taking a placebo pill here but I know for a fact that my Droid is faster now then it was before. I don't care what that one video shows, and remember that's only part of the picture that doesn't show everything behind the update. I can't quote specific threads but I have read that while they slowed the FPS down they did make up for it with other OS changes that didn't require it to have to run at 60 FPS.

That's why I say "crippled" isn't an appropriate word in this issue.

JCo352

Reaction score

It's not that I question the numbers, and I looked at the video. I see that is fact. What I do question is how it truly translates on how the Droid's real speed is.

Now maybe I'm taking a placebo pill here but I know for a fact that my Droid is faster now then it was before. I don't care what that one video shows, and remember that's only part of the picture that doesn't show everything behind the update. I can't quote specific threads but I have read that while they slowed the FPS down they did make up for it with other OS changes that didn't require it to have to run at 60 FPS.

That's why I say "crippled" isn't an appropriate word in this issue.

Yeah I see what you're saying, for the most part agree with you. My phone is either the same speed or faster, I don't really know, it's hard to say. But I wasn't saying the OS has been crippled, just the FPS, as stated previously.