So I got anxious and tried CryanogenMod...

lee__D

Reaction score
Cyanogen will be a great ROM when the final official version is released. Until then you will have to expect some issues. It has some nice tweaks though. Other than that, I think that Sapphire and UltimateDroid are the top I have tried.

I very HIGHLY recommend you backup and try out the newest Ultimate Droid eXtreme version 7.0.0 (found at BlackDroidMod.com) - It is truly the most smooth and jam packed ROM I have seen to date. This guy puts everything into his work... Try it!

i agree, i read u pumping up UD tweice no so i figured what the heck. installed it over ss 4.7 without wiping cuz im badarse like that. it's great, customizability galore, frmo fonts to boot animations to status bar elements. seems quick and stable, i got chevy's lv 800mhz kernel. a tiny bit of redraw with my widgets, but nothing major (and again i didnt wipe so it may be even smoother if i had). does it have the bkapps, rstapps command like chevy's?

bdr0023

Reaction score
I tried everything but CM and UD extreme has been the best for me. I was running bb .4 before that but the redraws just were really bothering me. UD with chevys ulv 1.25 has been excellent. Runs smooth as can be even @ 550, great battery life too. Runs cool even @ 1.25, scored a 1691 quadrant too.

orizzle

Reaction score
UltimateDroid is awesome, I'm running that right now with the low-voltage 800MHz kernel and it runs circles around BB

peterpressure

Reaction score
Tried Chevy 4.6 and Cyanogenmod, but the default theme on Chevy with all the blueness kinda put me off (it ran fine) and Cyan CM6 RC1 just did not run so good.

Went back to my BB 0.4 and Evolution theme, the Evo theme just loooks awesome!

sc4fpse

Reaction score
I tried CM6 RC1 awhile ago. Got bored one day and decided to flash it. Was horribly, horribly slow. Reverted to my backup in no time.

Sapphire lasted a day for me, before I realized it was no Bugless Beast. I really liked the lock screen media controls, but that was about the only plus for that rom. Bugless Beast for life. :icon_ banana:

BuglessFan

Reaction score
Soon we'll have to rename the forum, the recommended ROM forum ;)

I gave UD a brief try, and am giving Liquid a shot now. It's been pretty smooth in normal use. I'm having trouble installing the theme I want, though, so might do another clean install of it... heck just had a practice run, better to do it now before I wind up tweaking more things to go back and do again after a wipe.

bdr0023

Reaction score

I gave UD a brief try, and am giving Liquid a shot now. It's been pretty smooth in normal use. I'm having trouble installing the theme I want, though, so might do another clean install of it... heck just had a practice run, better to do it now before I wind up tweaking more things to go back and do again after a wipe.

Is your sign for future reference or do you know something we don't?

actngrezy

Developer
Reaction score
havent seen to many that say they have tried lfy yet. Ive been on lfy 1.4 since its release and it has been rock solid and no redraws with adw or launcher pro. def a nice stable and fast rom.

bdr0023

Reaction score
havent seen to many that say they have tried lfy yet. Ive been on lfy 1.4 since its release and it has been rock solid and no redraws with adw or launcher pro. def a nice stable and fast rom.
what the heck is ify? Never heard of it?

Stormwing

Reaction score
I've always been too lazy to switch. I liked the subtle themes (like smoked glass) that BB had and all its simplicity, but I heard reports of good battery life on Lithium Mod with the Evo theme... and so far everything's been fine.No phenomenal battery life but FRG01B seems marginally quicker and the 'Reboot into Recovery' option is awesome.

Is it worth switching to? Maybe, but for me it was mostly because the wait for BB0.5 has been so long. YMMV.

BuglessFan

Reaction score

Is your sign for future reference or do you know something we don't?
I made it and the one as my avatar about 3-4 weeks ago when I thought 0.5 was a day or two away :)

Seriously, when it comes out I'll probably give it a shot. I've tried a few other ROMs and they just didn't feel quite right, until I loaded Liquid 1.4 yesterday. I'm still working out the kinks, but if it stays as good as it seems at the start I might just wait for BB 0.6.

The reason I didn't like some of the others were that they happened to have annoying bugs/issues right in things I use/notice, but so far the main glitch with Liquid has been getting a nice looking theme I want to actually load (it's something with my settings). It ran about as hot as BB, and as smoothly tethering for a few hours last night (I'm on the road for work) and it feels a little snappier, I'd imagine largely thanks to the improvement of FRG22 over FRF84B. Also, I'm not sure if it's just that I let my cache build up too much or what, but with the same apps installed I have about 15MB more free on my phone than I did with BB v0.4. I don't think there were that many extra tools in it :p

Kind of a ramble, but, no, nothing but hope in the old sig. If Liquid is on my phone next week I'll have to change it for the time being.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
i've been on chevy's ss 4.5, 4.6 and now 4.7 until .5 comes out. Love it. smooth rom, great customizability options.

SS4.7 is Simply Sick in a good way. Bugless Beast v0.4 is obsolete and doesn't even come close to the quality and options you get from SS4.7.

wernst

Reaction score
I must admit that I was starting to get "stutters" all over BB.4, and so I tried Saphire 1.0.

I've never seen my droid work better or more smoothly with it.

In my mind, the bar has been set high for BB .5.

-Warr

Reaction score
I thought Cyanogen mod was great, I was using a nightly build with the Droid 2 keyboard and theme and it was great. I switched to SS 4.7 though and I really miss the power widget.

BuglessFan

Reaction score
Honestly, there's no way to overestimate how much Pete has continued to help people get the most out of their Droids. I'm going out on a limb and saying most of it was purely the excitement and learning and sharing with the community, and that's a great thing. Sure there's some adulation, and some donation, but we're not talking quit your day job money by any means. Still, when someone contributes as much as he or others have, it's easy to need to rebalance life and interests from time to time. The problem with android is so much stuff seems to come out so fast and change so quickly that unless you don't go on dates or don't go camping, or don't have a life away from the phone you're not going to keep up all the time. There are tons of us that will have our Droid 1's, but you can't buy them new anymore.

If I were Pete, I'd punt on BB v0.5 (I doubt seriously that he will), and focus all my energy on the Galaxy S or future phones. Still maybe there's a lot of general Android experience and knowledge to be gained by doing a new version then building a Droid 1 ROM from source as he said he planned to do in the interview. While I've loved the days with BB on my phone, I know in 6 months to a year I'm probably going to upgrade (almost certainly to a phone that's already been rooted w/ROMs on the horizon unless the lockdown attempts get stronger). Until then there are tons of great ROMs, and whenever the next BB runs, many of us will come back and give it a whirl. The important thing for BB v0.5 isn't how well it does versus other ROMs (if it's not as good, there are others), but that Pete feels satisfied and had a good time and learned a lot about his phone doing it. That seems to be the root of why he does it, which is the right reason. The bar that matters is his own, not ours, and not that of other guys working on ROMs.

At this point, though, if you're impatient for new toys like me, there are plenty out there, and there's no reason to sit around trying to build pressure on time or expectations on a guy who basically does it for free (sure he takes donation, but bah, essentially it's something done freely).