So how long before we see a rooted DROID?

OP
garrett

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
i think it will be longer then that.... the sprint hero has been out for a month and no roms have been released yet....

that info was courtesy androidforums.com

ehh it could be pretty quick, im sure there will be more motorola droids sold in the 1st day then total Hero's sold.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
well with what it looks like on the popularity of the droid, and the fact that i think a lot of users will want certain things built in or what nots, i still keep to a week.

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm.. I vote for November 5th! :icon_evil: Ok really, I think it will be soon because of the popularity of the phone. People are going to be all over this to be the first to get it done..

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
forgive me for the newb question here.. what exactly does "rooted" and "write a custom rom" mean?

sorry, i'm new to the android OS

Getaphixx

Reaction score
Watch this.. it should help..

[video=youtube;ckbsFRnVciE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckbsFRnVciE"]YouTube - How to gain Root access on Android Part 1[/video]

Youtube and keywords "Root, Android, Android 2.0, Hack, Droid" are your friends for the next couple months..

Watch some of these too..

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=root+android+2.0&search_type=&aq=f

They'll give you a better understanding of what you'll be incountering when a root is available for Droid.

Last edited:

Getaphixx

Reaction score
Root definition - hacker
In UNIX (Or in this case Android 2.0), it is the superuser or administrator account having complete control over everything in the machine.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i guess my question is this.. i understand that it gives you COMPLETE access to the machine and software, but what is the benefit of doing that? like what can you do with the phone after that you couldn't do before?

forkup

Reaction score
Install apps like apps2sd for one along with being able to load custom cooked roms to totally change the looks of the device. For example they may come out with a rom that looks like moto blur or sense ui from htc.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
and what's this i see on youtube about using your G1 as a modem? does this enable you to do that with the droid?

forkup

Reaction score
I'm not sure if that's a native android 2.0 functionality or if the device must be rooted to do that, can you post a link?

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if that's a native android 2.0 functionality or if the device must be rooted to do that, can you post a link?

just youtube search G1 modem, there are a ton of videos..