So happy when i got the email !

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
What's so special about Nexus One??!!! Seriously??!! For starter it's the first phone that is actually being produced with Google as the backer. Follow that up with a 1Ghz Snapdragon processor compared to the 550mhz Cortex A8 in the Droid and an AMOLED screen.

dont let the numbers fool you.... the snapdragon 1ghz isnt much if any faster then the cortex a8 550mhz.

The current Snapdragons that clock over 600Mhz are definitively based on Cortex A8 cores. Qualcomm was able to get an architecture license from ARM. So the 1ghz snapdragon is almost identical to the Cortex A8 except they have added more pipeline stages to get the extra clock speed. From what i understand the cache size is identical in both chips.

OP
bobmundo123

bobmundo123

Reaction score
What's so special about Nexus One??!!! Seriously??!! For starter it's the first phone that is actually being produced with Google as the backer. Follow that up with a 1Ghz Snapdragon processor compared to the 550mhz Cortex A8 in the Droid and an AMOLED screen.

dont let the numbers fool you.... the snapdragon 1ghz isnt much if any faster then the cortex a8 550mhz.

The current Snapdragons that clock over 600Mhz are definitively based on Cortex A8 cores. Qualcomm was able to get an architecture license from ARM. So the 1ghz snapdragon is almost identical to the Cortex A8 except they have added more pipeline stages to get the extra clock speed. From what i understand the cache size is identical in both chips.

Ahhh

good to knowwww... also
checked out a few videos on youtube The Nexus one's camera... Much faster than the droids... idk if its the 2.1 or if its hardware. I mean both are 5 MP.. soo not so suree...

Oh.. also.. Music player is also slightly a bit different.. lolll .. verry coo way they show albums.

gentlefury

Reaction score

Ahhh

good to knowwww... also
checked out a few videos on youtube The Nexus one's camera... Much faster than the droids... idk if its the 2.1 or if its hardware. I mean both are 5 MP.. soo not so suree...

Oh.. also.. Music player is also slightly a bit different.. lolll .. verry coo way they show albums.

That's a software issue. There are apps in the market that take pics faster than the base camera.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score

Ahhh

good to knowwww... also

That's a software issue. There are apps in the market that take pics faster than the base camera.

im running 2.1 v4 on my droid and the camera is much faster then what it was with 2.0 or 2.01

H

hydrogenman

The droid also has a graphics chip that the N1 lacks does it not? I really don't think the N1 seems that much faster from what I've seen. wait until a native 2.1 comes to the droid first before passing judgement

Brian7

Reaction score
no you could wait for verizon...but then again we'll all be running 3.0 by then:icon_ devil:

zcar.300

Reaction score
don't forget, google didn't say they would be pushing an update to 2.1, they said that the source would be made available. that means someone has to port it to the droid, this will happen fairly quickly because we have a bunch of really smart people in the community, but it won't be an official verizon update, I can guarantee that. verizon is historically slow to update even when the source is available, it seems they don't have a whole lot of confidence in their engineers abilities to port:icon_eek:

It's not that they don't have confidence in their people. In their eyes they have nothing to gain by quickly pushing out software updates. Think about it, in the best case scenario the update doesn't break anything. In any other scenario something doesn't work right and then they have to bust their butts to fix it...

IEatCake

Reaction score
It's not that they don't have confidence in their people. In their eyes they have nothing to gain by quickly pushing out software updates. Think about it, in the best case scenario the update doesn't break anything. In any other scenario something doesn't work right and then they have to bust their butts to fix it...

I agree completely here. Many of us who write, read and lurk on the forums are willing to take a buggy app that gives a "cool new" screen and install it on a $400-$700 handset and not think twice about it. But a good portion of the general public would simply come out and say "Verizon sucks! They spammed commercials for a buggy phone that requires me to update it daily if not hourly!". Imagine what people who don't know any better would say if a "New and Amazing feature" also took out their back light or camera. When you see people posting thread reply after thread reply fixing bugs on the fly, some QA engineer is rolling in their grave. The way I see it, Verizon has an image and A LOT more people to please. If one person on the forum "bricks" their phone 10 more (2 are bound to be flamers) usually jump in to help to fix it. Imagine 10,000 people bricking their phones...

My last rant is that if Verizon did it how we wanted it when we wanted it, we wouldn't have anything at all. By this I mean if Verizon lost its customer base because people had a misconception that their phones or their software sucked they couldn't or wouldn't pay someone to make a phone like the DROID or run anything like Android.

Just my 2 cents and some change...

gentlefury

Reaction score

I agree completely here. Many of us who write, read and lurk on the forums are willing to take a buggy app that gives a "cool new" screen and install it on a $400-$700 handset and not think twice about it. But a good portion of the general public would simply come out and say "Verizon sucks! They spammed commercials for a buggy phone that requires me to update it daily if not hourly!". Imagine what people who don't know any better would say if a "New and Amazing feature" also took out their back light or camera. When you see people posting thread reply after thread reply fixing bugs on the fly, some QA engineer is rolling in their grave. The way I see it, Verizon has an image and A LOT more people to please. If one person on the forum "bricks" their phone 10 more (2 are bound to be flamers) usually jump in to help to fix it. Imagine 10,000 people bricking their phones...

My last rant is that if Verizon did it how we wanted it when we wanted it, we wouldn't have anything at all. By this I mean if Verizon lost its customer base because people had a misconception that their phones or their software sucked they couldn't or wouldn't pay someone to make a phone like the DROID or run anything like Android.

Just my 2 cents and some change...

Very true. I haven't installed 2.1 and I'm waiting on the official release because I would like it to be 100% compatible when I finally use it. I would much rather have it take an extra month than be broke and get pissed at having a buggy phone. Let them do it the way they are doing it. I used to work for Verizon and they are (believe it or not) VERY particular about what is on their network. This unfortunately has historically meant they didn't have the latest and greatest handset.

The Droid was a hail mary that seems to have proven successful.

OP
bobmundo123

bobmundo123

Reaction score
Sooo..anyone know what's going on? Any one know if they released 2:1 yet so people can start debugging and messing with itt??