SMS w/GV Question?

scribes200581

Reaction score
Hello, first off, i have searched and searched, maybe i havent found the right articles/posts, or maybe im being a little dense seeing as ive had my head into this phone for the last 6 hours :)

Anyway,

Login to GV. Click Settings, From the Phones tab, click Edit under the one and only number i have in there, which is my Verizon assigned phone number. Recieve sms on this phone is UNCHECKED.

Click on the Voicemail and SMS tab. SMS forwarding (forward sms messages to my email [email protected] is CHECKED.

Am i going to be getting a notification on my phone for the gmail sms email? and for the gv text message? Or is it ONLY sending it to the gmail email?

Sorry, this might be totally obvious and im just overlooking or overthinking it.

OP
S

scribes200581

Reaction score
to answer your question yes

Im doing that so i dont have to wait 5-10 min for the text message by using the push from gmail...

Does anyone out there have a solution to the duplicate messages? or wait..maybe i can just stop the sms to gv??

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello, first off, i have searched and searched, maybe i havent found the right articles/posts, or maybe im being a little dense seeing as ive had my head into this phone for the last 6 hours :)

Anyway,

Login to GV. Click Settings, From the Phones tab, click Edit under the one and only number i have in there, which is my Verizon assigned phone number. Recieve sms on this phone is UNCHECKED.

Click on the Voicemail and SMS tab. SMS forwarding (forward sms messages to my email [email protected] is CHECKED.

Am i going to be getting a notification on my phone for the gmail sms email? and for the gv text message? Or is it ONLY sending it to the gmail email?

Sorry, this might be totally obvious and im just overlooking or overthinking it.

It's a bit confusing. You need to get a google voice number set up did you do that? Assuming you did then go to edit on your phone and uncheck receive SMS. This will keep you from getting charged for text messages on Verizon. Now all SMS for your google voice number will come to your phone in google voice. You don't need to have your email notification checked, matter of fact I recommend you do not do that. It's not necessary with a Droid since it's a google phone.

As you have it set up now it will send the text message to your phone, your google voice number and you'll get an email too.

That is if you set up a google voice number. You did do that correct? Otherwise you haven't set up anything yet?

OP
S

scribes200581

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, not sure you read what i wrote though by your answer.

I have gv, i have it setup right, or so i think. I want it to forward to gmail so i get the text right away, using gmail it pushes immediatly. I guess the real issue here is that i was hoping there is a way to turn off the delivery of the message to gv, but still get it delivered to gmail.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, not sure you read what i wrote though by your answer.

I have gv, i have it setup right, or so i think. I want it to forward to gmail so i get the text right away, using gmail it pushes immediatly. I guess the real issue here is that i was hoping there is a way to turn off the delivery of the message to gv, but still get it delivered to gmail.

The way you have it set up should do just that.