SMS sent from droid 2 are un-readable

pgm8705

Reaction score
When sending text messages to most people, the message shows up on the recipients phone as pretty much just random symbols and characters.

From a little experimenting, it seems like newer smart phones, such as the other android phones, blackberriers, etc, receive the messages fine. Older phones, such as the LG enV, receive the random symbols and un-readable texts. Verizon had me call motorola tech support and all they said was "as long as other droids can receive the messages, it isn't our problem"

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
I text w/my kids daily, both have ENV2s, and never had a single problem...on both D1 and D2 no issues.

pool_shark

Reaction score
I text many people with different devices on different networks, no problems.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
When sending text messages to most people, the message shows up on the recipients phone as pretty much just random symbols and characters.

From a little experimenting, it seems like newer smart phones, such as the other android phones, blackberriers, etc, receive the messages fine. Older phones, such as the LG enV, receive the random symbols and un-readable texts. Verizon had me call motorola tech support and all they said was "as long as other droids can receive the messages, it isn't our problem"

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

That's a pile of crap from VZW support...they either need to make your phone work properly w/other phones, or replace it.

First thing I'd try is use another SMS client (try Handcent) and see if the problem persists.

Also try using a different keyboard (swype vs. android keyboard).

If things are messed up on all of those, do a factory (Settings>Personal) and try again after you re-setup your Droid.

If that doesn't fix it you need to get a replacement droid.

LoneWolf15

Reaction score
Find a friend with that LG enV that doesn't work. Have them go with you to a Verizon store (not a third-party). Demonstrate your issue. Then, have them test with one of their Droid 2's, and maybe another Droid phone (e.g., X, Incredible, etc.).

This will be your best way to ensure that it's either just your phone, the Verizon network, or a real problem with the Droid 2 as a whole. It will also be the best way to get an exchange if you need one.

purplezepplin

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem with my Droid 2. Most of the time my non Droid friends receive the text fine, but sometimes it's a garbled mess. I called Verizon today, but the representative's only solution was to take the battery out and put it back in. Needless to say this did not fix the problem.

everstar80

Reaction score
i haven't had this problem. This further adds to the speculation that a os update is coming soon with the soon to be released R2D2 and droid 2 world model because there seems to be more problems everyday with froyo 2.2.

KingLo

Reaction score
I had this problem when I first got my droid. The reason it does it has something to do with one of your apps calling home. If I remember correctly it had something to do with one of my privacy settings being switched off

Edit: I do remember that I googled the ramdom letters to find the thread with the answer on it.

purplezepplin

Reaction score
I don't know what you mean by one of the apps calling home? I've looked at the privacy settings, too and don't see what you're talking about. I have googled everything and can't find any fix... there is another thread on here where ppl are having the exact same problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Tried to send several text to my friend w/ LG Env this weekend, they were all blank on her end?

newbsmartphoneuser

Reaction score
Jumbled texts

I am also having this issue. I have a DroidX. My friend, who has an EnV3, said I sent her a bunch of squares. And my boyfriend, who has the new iPhone, says he gets random question marks and other characters. This seems to only be happening if they are long text messages. I've only had this phone for 3 days and I'm completely noob when it comes to smart phones. I don't want to have to send small text messages every time I need to say something. Many small texts are annoying.

I obviously don't know how to fix it and I really don't want to drive 30 minutes to a Verizon Store for another Droid. Help plx.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Find a friend with that LG enV that doesn't work. Have them go with you to a Verizon store (not a third-party). Demonstrate your issue. Then, have them test with one of their Droid 2's, and maybe another Droid phone (e.g., X, Incredible, etc.).

This will be your best way to ensure that it's either just your phone, the Verizon network, or a real problem with the Droid 2 as a whole. It will also be the best way to get an exchange if you need one.

It's the only way that I would believe the problem even exists. And even if you do that there is still the possibility that the problem is with either the network or the person who is receiving the texts.