SMS Popup or Handcents??

StouticusMaximus

Reaction score
So which is better? What are your guys opinions on each app? What are the Pros & Cons of each. I want to start using one of the apps and there is really no thread breaking each one down against each other.

thrashtrash

Reaction score
handcent

handcent hands down. the popup has a quick reply space and i find that really useful instead of opening the app each time i need to reply to a text, especially when i'm doing something else. just quick reply and get back to work

TomN

Reaction score
SMS Popup has the quick reply feature as well I believe. I just started testing them both so I don't have a preference at the moment.

thrashtrash

Reaction score
hmm

well its been about a year since i used sms popup so it may have some inprovements. i wouldnt know tho

tbever

Reaction score
sms popup

I haven't used Handcents, but SMS popup is great. It has the quickreply feature, and you can type a full reply without unlocking the phone. It will also speak the message which is very valuable when (don't ever do this) driving. You have to install a free addon language pack which is easy but it is not a problem. No group distribution list a far as I know, but I use contactu for that.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
handcent...at least 30 different customizations. Full text to speech, speech to text with no add on required. 4 different font packs.....

Try them both but I think you will find Handcent the better of the 2 if you are into a huge inventory of customizations.

Too much to list

mjs31

Reaction score
Started with sms popup and it was nice but once I tried handcent there was no going back. Seems like are more settings and you really can modify the general layout better.

jbr13

Reaction score
I have tried SMS, Handscent, and ChompSMS on my Droid. I have been sticking with Handscent. All have given me little issues, but Handscent is what I run right now. If ChompSMS did MMS I would switch to it though, then again Handscent has it but it doesn't work for me.

mjs31

Reaction score
I am actually back to using SMS popup this morning. Handcent started acting up the other and it continues to do so on my phone. I triend uninstalling and reinstalling but it still lags at some points and also does not let my keyboard pop up on many occasions. I am also getting where it will not show what I am typing. May be something else with my phone, but it is only showing up in Handcent right now. Either way...SMSpopup is a great app also so no major loss

Randomocity

Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of handcent SMS. I love the quick compose feature, where i hold in the camera button for a second and I automatically get a quick reply-esque window. The popups are wonderful although glitchy with the virtual keyboard. I've tried both though and I agree with Cereal_killer, there's so much to customize that it beats the competition hands down.

MrMan

Reaction score
I have a question for those using handcent.. how do you turn 'off' the original messaging? Everytime I get a text, i get duplicate, and i have to go into both to get rid of them.

MaCe

Reaction score
are people having problems with handcent not sending MMS message quickly or at all?