Smartphone/Droid Virgin

natchrl8r

Reaction score
Hi folks!

My new Droid X is coming in the mail today! I was a neo-luddite til the off-the-grid, back-to-the-land lifestyle isolated me and I became dependent on cellphones, then portable DVD, then laptop downloading on the VZ thgrough my phone. Now I am dependent on Social Networks, weather updates and my favorite shows. I traded my ipod classic for an ipod touch with wifi but that's become too limited. I don't want to be tethered to my laptop or wifi so much and want to get back to digging in the dirt, hiking and travelling. Can i really have it all? Mostly what I need is a phone, fingertip internet info, music player and wifi hotspot without mb limitations. I need my netflix when the comcast goes down! I'm not a gamer at all and hardly use any apps on my pod. I'm here to learn how to get my droid beyond the limitations of VZ. Biggest question: Root before or after activating phone?

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
Welcome to the forum. I'd activate it first, but I dont think it matters. Just do your homework on rooting before attempting.

OP
N

natchrl8r

Reaction score
The more I read the more confused I am. Most instructions seem to assume a basic understanding of programming which I don't have. I may have to just locate someone locally to help me set this up step by step. I have the phone on the charger now, have a windows laptop pc handy. I'll start learning how to use the phone as is until I can figure out where to start without bricking it. I tried to download z4root and my computer could not recognize the file type!

BodyBagz

Reaction score
The more I read the more confused I am. Most instructions seem to assume a basic understanding of programming which I don't have. I may have to just locate someone locally to help me set this up step by step. I have the phone on the charger now, have a windows laptop pc handy. I'll start learning how to use the phone as is until I can figure out where to start without bricking it. I tried to download z4root and my computer could not recognize the file type!

That is likely because "z4root" came as an ".apk" file, which is a "program file" for the Android OS..while your PC is running some flavor of Windows. No need to worry though, your PC is not gonna really do anything with that file other than help get it to your phones SD Card...then the Android OS will take over and all will be well...:)

Sniper_5

Reaction score
Welcome and good luck! I too just got my DROID X today, though I'm upgrading from a D1 so I know the basic in's and out's. Mine is already rooted, themed and overclocked :p
Sent from my DROIDX

OP
N

natchrl8r

Reaction score
Princess, you're a peach! (Or a mango in your case. ; ) I was born on Oahu but have spent less than 2 days there as an adult.

Thanks everyone else for helpful suggestions! I'm taking it slow and learning the basics first. I have a linux friend who will help me set up when I'm ready. I spent six hours just setting up, choosing some apps, playing with settings, etc last night. I still gotta go to my day job. lol! I'll be around.

Thanks again!

~Natch

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
Lol its a learning curve. yup I was born and raised on OAHU too, all 40 years of it! LOL...

well good luck in ur adventure!

Swype with an Aloha from Hawaii