Smart Keyboard

cyril

Reaction score
Hello

I just started to develop a new soft keyboard for Android >= 2.0, called "Smart Keyboard", available in the market since yesterday.

It uses the multi-touch API added in Android 2.0, so I guess it is the first keyboard to have it for Android (?).
I uploaded the first version for free, but it could be charged in the future...

As people reported it as not being "real multi-touch", I would be interested to have your feedback, as for me it is real multi-touch...

I am thinking of adding predictive input in a future version, but be patient ;)

Looking forward for your comments, and please tell me on which phone you use it (it is developed on HTC Hero with an Android 2.1 test ROM)

--
Cyril

vpshockwave

Reaction score
Hello

I just started to develop a new soft keyboard for Android >= 2.0, called "Smart Keyboard", available in the market since yesterday.

It uses the multi-touch API added in Android 2.0, so I guess it is the first keyboard to have it for Android (?).
I uploaded the first version for free, but it could be charged in the future...

As people reported it as not being "real multi-touch", I would be interested to have your feedback, as for me it is real multi-touch...

I am thinking of adding predictive input in a future version, but be patient ;)

Looking forward for your comments, and please tell me on which phone you use it (it is developed on HTC Hero with an Android 2.1 test ROM)

--
Cyril

Cyril, thanks a lot for your effort to develop a multitouch keyboard. I've been waiting on one forever it seems.

Here's my feedback: I would personally prefer a less blocky keyboard. What I mean by that is that for example, your A and Q keys are exactly on top of each other, as compared to the regular Android keyboard where they are space a bit differently (closer to a real keyboard). Perhaps you could appease everyone by just creating a skin system whereas people can skin the keyboard however they want. My second thought is this. When I hold down a key, and press another key, neither of them are printed til the screen until I release the second key. Would it be possible to print the first to the screen as soon as it is pressed, and same with the second? That's more of an aesthetic point really, as the end output is the same. Still I'd prefer it that way if possible.

DROIDsys

Reaction score
I just downloaded it and started using it for a little bit. Like everyone else was saying, it's definitely a step in the right direction and I'm really glad someone put one out. I personally don't like the layout of it and lack of auto correction but I understand this is still a beta.

Great job so far though, keep up the good work.

luisdroid

Reaction score
very nice concept. I've been waiting for a multi touch keyboard. unfortunately now that i have it, i dont think i type fast enough to find much use of it. :) Hope to see some updates. Thanks:D
Edit: oh and vpshockwave does have great points

Last edited:
OP
C

cyril

Reaction score
Here's my feedback: I would personally prefer a less blocky keyboard. What I mean by that is that for example, your A and Q keys are exactly on top of each other, as compared to the regular Android keyboard where they are space a bit differently (closer to a real keyboard).
Ok, I'll see what I can do for the layout, at least for QWERTY and AZERTY

When I hold down a key, and press another key, neither of them are printed til the screen until I release the second key. Would it be possible to print the first to the screen as soon as it is pressed, and same with the second?
Strange.. for me, the first key is printed as soon as the second key is pressed. Maybe I can change the behavior for a future version if people ask for this.

agdaniels

Reaction score
Ill agree with everyone else and say its a great start but I also would like to see some auto correct and more intuitive key layout. Keep up the good work.

A few bugs I've seen are with fast typing it sometimes loses the first keypress. Also, when a second multitouch letter is pressed, it sometimes doesn't show the first letter right away. Finally the period is on the wrong side, while this may just be my preferance, it felt unnatural

It would also be great if you could add the voice input key like in the android 2.1 keyboard. Definitely an app id pay for though, look forward to updates

Last edited:

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
yeah man it works nice, but, on mine, i have multitouch only if the 2 keys im trying to press are further than 3 keys away from eachother. if its closer than that then it doesnt work.

EDIT: It only does this in portrait mode...not landscape
mode...but love it! great job!!!!!!

Last edited:
OP
C

cyril

Reaction score
ok, ok, I'ill change the layout tonight, and try to make it less "blocky". And I will invert the period and the comma ;)

--
Cyril

H

hydrogenman

I think it's a nice start

I agree that the blocky keyboard is rather Meh....offset keys (not in rows straight up and down) seems to me to work better and seems more natural.

lvlln

Reaction score
It's nice to have multitouch, but the new layout (different locations for number, symbol toggles) and color scheme is jarring. And the pop-ups that appear with each button press on my Droid doesn't actually have the letter on them (sometimes it's a dot, sometimes just blank).

If it was just a carbon copy of the default stock keyboard, but with multitouch, that would be killer.

ASN-121

Reaction score
I'm not getting multitouch on mine, regardless of how far away the keys are. Also, I've been using haptic feedback since I first started fiddling with the phone, not having it makes me less accurate. I had the same issue with the key popup only showing the top 1/4 of the letter or so as well. The shift key is working like caps on a single press as well, I don't know if that was intentional or not, but I don't really care for it, especially with no predictive text.
I, for one, don't mind the position of the keys, I've been hoping for something with slightly larger keys on it. I migrated from a Storm, and I really miss the suretype key size. But changing around the overall layout is slightly ballsy, seeing as people get used to a certain layout, especially when it comes to keyboards/inputs on devices.

I'm going back to the stock Android keyboard because I can input much faster with it. I hope you don't see this as anything more than constructive criticism, you only asked for feedback, and I speak my mind when it comes to that.

OP
C

cyril

Reaction score
Good news, version 0.2.0 is out, and still free ;) (I don't know if it is already available on the market, I just uploaded it)

I improved the keyboard layout, I hope you will like it !
And I also added haptic feedback (optional)

Enjoy

--
Cyril

vpshockwave

Reaction score
Good news, version 0.2.0 is out, and still free ;) (I don't know if it is already available on the market, I just uploaded it)

I improved the keyboard layout, I hope you will like it !
And I also added haptic feedback (optional)

Enjoy

--
Cyril

Installed. Layout is much better and it still works great. Good job and thanks!