Smart Card Reader for Droid

zandersn

Reaction score
I am in the military and I need to use my Military ID/CAC Card (Smart Card) to access some sites on the internet. I know there is a bluetooth smart card reader for Blackberry but not sure if it will work on the Droid. Does anyone know if there is a way to use a smart card reader with the A855 Droid?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I gave it a pretty good look. I couldn't find one. But don't give up, I've been wrong many times before. There are only about 100,000 apps our there.

dglennon

Reaction score
Aptiva

I am looking into this and have so far found a company called Aptiva that claims to have development underway for support for the Android OS. I am waiting for a schedule from them. I am a Gov Civilian for the AF.

I will post when I have more information.

jg5343

Reaction score
Any updates on this? I was able to install my CAC certificates on my Droid X but still unable to get the browser to use them when I go to webmail or nko. It would be awesome to be able to check work email on the Droid!

thormanrd

Reaction score
How did you get you CAC installed? Did anyone get a reader working?

CoffeeGood

Reaction score
How did you get you CAC installed? Did anyone get a reader working?]

I'm a military contractor. Although you can use a variety of programs to get your CAC certificates to the Android device, there is NOT currently an Android browser that supports CAC authentication. Windows Mobile devices use the Internet Explorer browser; this allows those devices to access CAC-enable websites with a standalone CAC reader (regardless of the make/model of the CAC reader and independent of an Enterprise Server).

There is a company called Good that has a platform known as "Good for Enterprise" where you can use Android Devices with a BAI CAC Sled to access CAC-enabled websites. However, this is only in an Enterprise environment where your Android device would be managed/controlled by a Good Server (very similar to a Blackberry Server). You would use Good's Android App (which is a secure container accessed via CAC authentication) to access your corporate email and access CAC-enabled websites. See a PDF overview of their product here: http://www.good.com/media/pdf/enterprise/gfe_android_ds.pdf?utm_source=google

I have HEARD that Android is developing a browser that supports CAC authentication. The ETA on it is 'SOON' (very ambiguous LOL).

If anyone has furhter intel on Android's CAC-enabled browser let us know!

thormanrd

Reaction score
sandopB on android marketplace use pki. my question is how to get cac pki to a CER file that can be installed on android os.

CoffeeGood

Reaction score
sandopB on android marketplace use pki.

Unable to find 'sandopB' in android marketplace. Is that a typo or am I missing something?

my question is how to get cac pki to a CER file that can be installed on android os.

You can use ActivClient to export your CAC certs to a CER file.

gpatmac

Reaction score
I'm a military contractor. Although you can use a variety of programs to get your CAC certificates to the Android device, there is NOT currently an Android browser that supports CAC authentication. Windows Mobile devices use the Internet Explorer browser; this allows those devices to access CAC-enable websites with a standalone CAC reader (regardless of the make/model of the CAC reader and independent of an Enterprise Server).

If anyone has furhter intel on Android's CAC-enabled browser let us know!
Sir, any updates on the feasibility/utility of sandrob for utilizing our certs? I'm curious, do you happen to work here at DISA?

I've heard that largely, there aren't any browsers nor apps that even use SSL on the Android (well, except for those vendors who are making products specific to cacs/pivs/tokens/microsd...)

thursbysoftware

Reaction score

thursbysoftware

Reaction score
I am in the military and I need to use my Military ID/CAC Card (Smart Card) to access some sites on the internet. I know there is a bluetooth smart card reader for Blackberry but not sure if it will work on the Droid. Does anyone know if there is a way to use a smart card reader with the A855 Droid?

Thursby Software has some new hardware, software and support bundles coming shortly for Android CAC and PIV that plug into any Android tablet or smartphone with a micro USB port (almost all of them) and running Android 4.2.
Secure mobile CAC/PIV Android tablet & smartphone plug-in bundles (March 2014) | Thursby Software

Readers are fast, affordable and specifically built for Droid.

Out of the gate, they'll support secure web, including OWA. The royalty free SDK is being used to build a secure app ecosystem, just like the one available on iPad and iPhone for the past 2-3 years.
Secure mobile CAC/PIV smart card app ecosystem for iPad & iPhone | Thursby Software

Thursby's is US built and US supported software, approved for DISA.
DISA | DoD Application Store