Small tweaks instead of full replacements?

Cole119

Reaction score
When I jailbroke my iPod touch, I could use the app Cydia to install small tweaks like changing fonts, changing the color of menus, and making the title of the song playing appear in the bar at the top of the screen.

When I got my Droid, I was expecting to find little tweaks like these all over the marketplace, but it seems things like this requires downloading home replacement apps or installing custom roms. Is there like a marketplace alternative full of tweaks? For instance, if I wanted more homescreens, I could just go into this alternative marketplace and install a tweak to add more homescreens. Am I just missing something or what?

jrocketdroid

Reaction score
try Launcher+ for more homescreens without a major replacement.

Also BetterCut gives good icon options

OP
Cole119

Cole119

Reaction score
I have tried Launcher+, that's part of the reason for why I am asking this. Launcher+ is fairly light, but I still have to set my entire homescreen back up to the way I want it when I am using it. I don't understand why we can't have small little tweaks as apposed to replacements now that we have root.

boatman2220

Reaction score
It's still a very young OS and the phone itself isn't even 3 months old. Got to let things mature a little. Like you said you jailbreak the IPhone and there's things you can do. Ill bet it want be long before lots more goodies start coming to the Droid.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have tried Launcher+, that's part of the reason for why I am asking this. Launcher+ is fairly light, but I still have to set my entire homescreen back up to the way I want it when I am using it. I don't understand why we can't have small little tweaks as apposed to replacements now that we have root.

You only have to set your home screens once using a home replacement (like Home++ or others)... not every time.

OP
Cole119

Cole119

Reaction score

You only have to set your home screens once using a home replacement (like Home++ or others)... not every time.
I understand that. What I'm saying is that I've tried every home replacement app and they are all unstable; so I uninstall it and download the next home replacement that comes out, in hopes of finding one that is similar in speed and stability as the stock home app. Every time I download a new home replacement app I have to reset all of my shortcuts, widgets, icons, etc.

What I want is just simple tweaks that will let me change the spacing between icons, change font, add widgets to the lockscreen, add more home screens; stuff that isn't really large enough to require a replacement app.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
- Font spacing is set because unlike the iPhone, Droid app menu rotates to landscape. The 'spacing' is required so that the screen will appear correctly in both landscape and portrait... so that'll never change.
- I'd like to be able to change system wide font as well... but the device is still in it's infancy. iPhone's got 3+ years of development.... Android 2.0 is short of 2 months on the market!
- Changing the lock screen is on a lot of people's wish list.... don't mind me asking but why would you want a widget on the lock screen?
- Android OS 2.1 has 5 screens... so the limit of 3 screens shouldn't bother you as much come Jan....

OP
Cole119

Cole119

Reaction score
- Font spacing is set because unlike the iPhone, Droid app menu rotates to landscape. The 'spacing' is required so that the screen will appear correctly in both landscape and portrait... so that'll never change.
- I'd like to be able to change system wide font as well... but the device is still in it's infancy. iPhone's got 3+ years of development.... Android 2.0 is short of 2 months on the market!
- Changing the lock screen is on a lot of people's wish list.... don't mind me asking but why would you want a widget on the lock screen?
- Android OS 2.1 has 5 screens... so the limit of 3 screens shouldn't bother you as much come Jan....
I want widgets in the lockscreen so that I could have like an RSS reader widget there so if I wanted to see the latest news, all I would have to do is click the lock button. I just wish we had tweaks so that we wouldn't have to run more processes in the background to change small things. :mad:

fatkimi

Reaction score
yup, android still young compare to iphone os....

weeee can see when android celebrate 1st year anivesery sure we can tweek lot in android phone...

just be pasion...hehehehe