Slowed down home screen & apps

DroidWolfen

Reaction score
When I first got the droid everything would load pretty fast. I installed quite a few apps, and removed quite a few(Nothing preloaded), and things have slowed down. When I turn the screen back on while it's been running I get the desktop background right away but sometimes it takes 10-15 seconds before I can access anything, opposed to almost instant start up from factory settings. Sometimes the apps themselves take a bit longer as well once I try to load one. I'm familiar with disk cleanup and what fragmentation is with a computer and I'm guessing something similar may need to be done with the phone. I am not rooted if that matters and have no need to do so for my phone usage. I do have advanced task killer so it isn't slow because of current apps running. Any ideas? Apps that may speed things back up or perform some kind of clean up?

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
When I first got the droid everything would load pretty fast. I installed quite a few apps, and removed quite a few(Nothing preloaded), and things have slowed down. When I turn the screen back on while it's been running I get the desktop background right away but sometimes it takes 10-15 seconds before I can access anything, opposed to almost instant start up from factory settings. Sometimes the apps themselves take a bit longer as well once I try to load one. I'm familiar with disk cleanup and what fragmentation is with a computer and I'm guessing something similar may need to be done with the phone. I am not rooted if that matters and have no need to do so for my phone usage. I do have advanced task killer so it isn't slow because of current apps running. Any ideas? Apps that may speed things back up or perform some kind of clean up?

There have been tons of debates Pro/Con task killers.
Just search there are tons. U have to be using the task killer correctly or u will be slowing your phone down.

Here's a start
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...off-my-app-killer.html?highlight=task+killers
but if you search you will find a lot more

OP
D

DroidWolfen

Reaction score
Thanks Tallica for the suggestion, and I did look at the thread in your post. I ended up removing my task killer but the solution was much more simple. Along with the slow loading I was not able to listen to music or Slacker radio while browsing the internet or anything else, it would shut off. Last night I realized I hadn't rebooted the thing since I got it. Powered down and back on and it worked wonders. The speed is back and everything is functioning like it did out of the box. I had never owned a smart phone before and I did not realize it is running a more advanced OS than a typical basic phone, and it has problems just like a computer that has been on for days.

I wasn't going to say anything but in case anybody is going through the same issues, give it a reboot before you freak out. I know my problem was lame since I didn't try that first, but I'm sure somebody might not have known this. Thanks again for the help!