Slow Phone -Can I blame Juice Defender

Chachmo78

Reaction score
I am running Stock D1 (since December 2009). At this point, I have pretty much filled my phone, since it came with a puny 512 MB internal memory, and my 16 gig SD card is a little over half full.

About 6-7 months ago, my battery started dieing really fast (seemingly out of the blue). Verizon replaced my phone at no cost...new phone, old battery...still same problem...assumed it was the battery...I had two other back ups...same problem...ultimately, I have concluded it is just that I have so many apps (does this matter?) I put Juice Defender pro on my phone...and my battery life is almost respectable now.

That said, now it takes forever for my screen to come back when I hit my home key. I know that Juice defender shuts down radio communication when the screen is off...but is it a memory hog?

further more, my camera (and Vingette -which I love) crash all the time....maybe un related...since I have so much space on my SD card, my assumption would be that space is not an issue.

I currently have about 89 MB available internally... Side note, my wifes D1 has like 30 MB internally available, and she never has issues...camera is fast as day 1, and she can get the home screen instantly.

I have no "pointless apps" (unless you count facebook, Twitter, and Google+)...

Anyone know what may be slowing me down? Do I just need to go and one click root? Can I speed up my phone by rooting even?

Danorexic

Reaction score
I used Juice Defender for a bit after seeing my friend use it. Initially, it seemed to work fairly well and helped with my battery life. I've used a few different roms (Cm7, Liquid, Pete's) and lately they've all had major issues with Juice Defender. I've had similar issues to you. My screen would take forever to come on and even after coming on, my phone would be borderline unusable. Even sliding to unlock was painstakingly difficult and using apps after that was impossible. After uninstalling Juice Defender, the issues disappeared. I don't have a Droid with a stock setup on it to test vs, but you should try uninstalling Juice Defender to see if it's causing your issues.

OP
C

Chachmo78

Reaction score
So I uninstalled Juice Defender...it was like I stuck Grease Lightning in that thing. Consequently, my MMS messages are automatically downloading as well. I have to assume it is affecting the processor speed...I didn't know that there were any apps that could do that, if you weren't rooted. So now, I have to figure out how do I get my battery life back. Does anyone know of an App that won't slow me down but will give me a good 30-50% boost i battery life? I definitely noticed a quicker die off this morning. With Juice Defender, I could get to lunch on 80% battery...today, I was down to 60%...since I can charge my phone at my computer, its not a big deal, but if I am out all day, that won't last.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Figure out what's eating your battery and deal directly with it rather than just relying on an app to resolve the matter for you.
I currently have about 89 MB available internally... Side note, my wifes D1 has like 30 MB internally available, and she never has issues...camera is fast as day 1, and she can get the home screen instantly.
I really don't understand why people fixate so much on free internal storage when they're worrying about performance issues (aside from assuming that Android devices are like PC's). Internal storage isn't the only factor as your own comment above indicates. Take a look at what's using your CPU cycles.

Danorexic

Reaction score
I'm glad removing Juice Defender worked. As Takeshi mentioned, you can use the battery stat or Spare Parts to see what's eating your battery life. If your battery life dropped off like that, it's probably going to be your cell radio standby eating the battery up. If you have periods where you don't need a data connect, try finding an app/widget/pull-down notification item that allows you turn off mobile data. CM7 and Liquid roms have these options for the notification menu. Disabling mobile data improved my battery life at work dramatically back when I had poor coverage there.