Skype always running

BLK

Reaction score
I uninstalled Skype since I never use it. I go to Running Services and its still running. I close it and then check later and its always back there running. WTH is up with that?

G

Grimster

Uneducated people here have no idea what they are talking about. Skype is NOT used by your phone to make calls or txt messages. You dont need Skype unless you want to talk to other people that are on Skype. Its just another IM chat app which almost nobody uses. The reason why it starts automatically is because its part of Verizons bloatware which can not be removed even if you dont want or use it.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Uneducated people here have no idea what they are talking about. Skype is NOT used by your phone to make calls or txt messages. You dont need Skype unless you want to talk to other people that are on Skype. Its just another IM chat app which almost nobody uses. The reason why it starts automatically is because its part of Verizons bloatware which can not be removed even if you dont want or use it.

... unless you root.

It's not a problem to leave it running even if you don't use it.

riko540

Reaction score

I don't think its an IM chat I think you mean VoIP. It uses an internet connection to make the "call" if you want to call it that and is free ONLY if the other person is using Skype as well.

sent from my pocket

G

Grimster

... unless you root.

It's not a problem to leave it running even if you don't use it.
Yes it is a problem because it uses up system memory (RAM). Leaving the app running in system memory only slows the phone down when it gets low on RAM. This is why Verizon bloatware really really sucks. It bogs down the phone.

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
[Yes it is a problem because it uses up system memory (RAM). Leaving the app running in system memory only slows the phone down when it gets low on RAM. This is why Verizon bloatware really really sucks. It bogs down the phone.

This is not an entirely accurate statement. Android balances memory by shifting resources to apps that need it from apps that don't. Skype, if not being used, falls into the category of an app that doesn't need it. Please do not criticize others on this forum unless you have all of the correct answers.
Bloatware may be there, yes, but it does not "bog down the phone" because of the way Android is designed to shift resources efficiently. For this reason task killers are unnecessary and in fact, in many people's opinions, detrimental to system performance.

mauiblue

Reaction score
My phone is rooted and all bloatware/unwanted apps removed. Skype is nice on my laptop for video conferencing but I've got Friends and Family Service and unlimited texts so Skype is practically useless for me on my Incredible.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

G

Grimster

[Yes it is a problem because it uses up system memory (RAM). Leaving the app running in system memory only slows the phone down when it gets low on RAM. This is why Verizon bloatware really really sucks. It bogs down the phone.

This is not an entirely accurate statement. Android balances memory by shifting resources to apps that need it from apps that don't. Skype, if not being used, falls into the category of an app that doesn't need it. Please do not criticize others on this forum unless you have all of the correct answers.
Bloatware may be there, yes, but it does not "bog down the phone" because of the way Android is designed to shift resources efficiently. For this reason task killers are unnecessary and in fact, in many people's opinions, detrimental to system performance.
It is required to have an education in how computer actually work to understand what I am saying. When android reallocates memory to other apps this process takes time and CPU cycles which is why your phone slows down when you have all the bloatware running in system memory. I always find it funny when people state what you have stated. They think the reallocation of memory happens like magic instantly. They think this because they have no idea how android or linux in general actually operates. As I said before, the memory reallocation process does NOT happen instantly like "magic". It takes time and CPU cycles and this time is what you feel as the phone slowing down when system memory is full of bloatware.

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I do have a very good understanding of how computers work and do not appreciate the tone of your comments on the forum thus far. Please cut back on the acerbic nature of your statements.

Holysmokes

Reaction score

So, in your opinions, if you are using a Task Killer, it is probably best to uncheck the apps that are part of bloatware as it will just restart anyway and use system memory???

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
In her opinion and my opinion and the opinions of the people who build the OS you don't need to use a task killer except in EXTREME circumstances. That Task Killer is bogging down your system's performance more than the bloat. :)

Task Killers - The Answer from Google and Developers

Holysmokes

Reaction score
Thank you very much. Bought my Incredible the end of December at Best Buy and the first thing they told me to download was Task Killer. I heard this from other users as well. I was told this would save my battery life. I wonder what other erroneous things I have been told.