Skateboarding Game

drkow19

Reaction score
[GAME] Sean McNulty Skateboarding

Hey guys. I'm writing a skateboarding game for Android, since there's really nothing on the market that I saw. There is a 3D snowboarding game, but no big skateboarding titles. It's kinda a test project for me, my first real game. I made the game Touch Drummer on the market already (developer name "MMK Programming"), but it just registers screen presses and spits out drum sounds so it was fairly simple to make. This will be much more involved. I made a video earlier today to show off what I have done so far in only the first week, and I got a lot done actually. Check it out:

edit: This second video was made on 9/11/10 and it showcases the new level and physics systems.
[video=youtube;Ia8MKXpFYxU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia8MKXpFYxU[/video]

Plus, since the video was made I have scaled it to fit any size screen, tweaked the physics and gravity, made it so the board moves a bit off-center if you are rolling (so you can see more of what lies ahead) and added acceleration to the pushes. Yes, I am making fast progress with the development! I'll make another video when it gets a lot better.

So I am wondering what the interest level is for this type of game. I might let people test out a pre-release version if you promise not to cop my game. Or I could just release it on the market while it is under development. Either way I would like to get it out there and let people try it and suggest how they want the final game to turn out.

(Update 9/13/10) -

The game now officially has street cred. I showed it off to pro skater Sean McNulty from Michigan and he has signed on as the face of the game! His buddies didn't want to give me back my phone. Trust me, if you are a skateboarder you will love this game.

Last edited:

Mayze

Reaction score
Maybe a top down view option? I can't wait till this game is released. My son is a huge skateboarding fan.

cromo8

Reaction score
oh wow prettyy cool game will most likely get depending on price

wlemammoth

Reaction score
I have been waiting for a skateboard game to hit the market. This looks like a great start. I would definitely purchase it if it wasn't crazy expensive.

OP
D

drkow19

Reaction score
It won't be crazy expensive. I'm thinking a limited free version with ads and a full version with levels and more stuff for $2.99. I will be looking for testers starting as soon as next week, or possibly longer if I can't get the obstacles in there by then, so just shoot me a message in a week or so if you want a copy to test. Testers would need to let me know how it runs on their phone (I have a Droid) and suggest fixes or features. There will be rails and jumps added. I'm not sure about the top-down view Mayze, that would be just like touch-grind and I don't like that. The way I have it, it is easier to see how high you have ollied.

OP
D

drkow19

Reaction score
Updated first post with new video. It's making great progress. I just need to add some features like landing speed and momentum, then I will let some people here test if they really want. I'm thinking it's almost ready for the Market as a demo, so I can get some early feedback before I create a full-featured game, what do you guys think?

OP
D

drkow19

Reaction score
Alright guys, message me with your email addresses and what kind of phone and rom you have and I will add you to the list of testers. I've tested on Droid 1 overclocked (30-40 fps) Incredible (50 fps) and Droid X (50 but chugs to 10 or below randomly).

OP
D

drkow19

Reaction score
what program do you use to make this kind of game this is cool
I use Eclipse, it's the standard java development program and Android plugs into it easily.

Eclipse.org home

Android SDK | Android Developers

I need to make another video. The game is a little better now, with rail sounds and a way better half-pipe. But there is still a lot of work left for me to do and I've been busy with school.