Sitting by the glow of my Droid and freaking out

SeekingJustice

Reaction score
Hi guys - I'm Holly - Long time listener, first time caller : )
Rooted OG Droid – Running Cyanogen 6.1.2 with Twisted Inception (cant remember the kernel) – Has been running smooth with no trouble but today the phone wont boot up, It wont even get to the Motorola logo. The screen just sits at a glow – I am not able to boot into recovery and I have done probably 10 battery pulls and I have let it sit all morning.
During my Droid rooted time, I have had some scares but have always been able to find my way back but I am officially stuck and I have no idea what else to do. Need some help or else it will be being run over by my back tire this evening and going back to the big red in pieces to utilize that insurance I hate paying on every month.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Kind of sounds like a totally drained battery. You can check that by putting it on the a wall charger for a few hours or take the battery out and charge it in a stand-alone charger/put it in a friends phone/try a friend's battery, etc.

Good luck.

OP
SeekingJustice

SeekingJustice

Reaction score
What if the phone was fully charged when this occured? I had just pulled it from my wall charger to respond to a text and she went all dark :( I am going to try a friends battery but if that isnt it - Is she toast?

coverton341

Reaction score
Try holding up on the direction pad on the physical keyboard while booting to see if you can make it to the bootloader menu. If you can, then you can reflash the bootloader and reroot and start from scratch. I'm sure someone here can give you in depth instructions or you could find out how through search. Hope all is well.

Sent by pixie dust

OP
SeekingJustice

SeekingJustice

Reaction score
You know, when you turn on your phone and the screen lights up for a moment before taking you to the M and then your animated boot - My phone is stuck at where it lights up and wont progress any further, I cant get to the M or my custom boot animation.
The phone wont boot up so it wont boot into recovery.

My Droid is a very faint night light at the moment.

coverton341

Reaction score
Not recovery. Bootloader. Have you tried booting while holding up on the directional pad? It's different.

Sent by pixie dust

OP
SeekingJustice

SeekingJustice

Reaction score
Yeah, I tried that this morning as well and didnt get anywhere with it but I might not have held the pad long enough - I was frustrated so I kinda gave up... I am gonna try bootloader again and I will report back - thank you.

OP
SeekingJustice

SeekingJustice

Reaction score
Back up and running - sorta. I got it to come back up and then I got a text message and it did the same thing it did this morning so I thought maybe it was the messaging app itself so after a bit, I was able to get back in again and deleted the messaging app and went back to stock messaging app - still the same issue. Everything else works fine. Text messaging freezes the phone to useless. Never had that happen before.

Any ideas why text messaging would be the trigger?

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
How about going into airplane mode (so you don't get a text) saving your texts and whatever (maybe do a backup with TiBu) then a factory reset?

Sent from my GimpDroid (Installed by RZR).

OP
SeekingJustice

SeekingJustice

Reaction score
Sounds like a plan - Backing up now.

Thanks everyone.

I will let ya know what I end up with.

OP
SeekingJustice

SeekingJustice

Reaction score
OK - So, backed up and did a factory reset - At the point where it asks you to slide open the keyboard to log into GMAIL. Froze just like before - but this time it came back after a couple of moments and after a couple tries like this, it finally let me sign in and the phone came back up... so we shall see.

Thanks everyone for helping me through my meltdown :)

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
When I have difficulties that are not widely reported for the rom I'm using, the first thing I do is to reinstall my rom with no wipes. 99% of the time the issues go away.

Good luck.

GingerDrop

Reaction score
Try Clearing Cache

If you are using ROM Manager next time you install a ROM try clicking the clear cache button in the window that pops up when you try... I had a problem with a looping boot screen because I didn't clear the cache. I had to load a backup and reinstall the ROM. Hope this helps!!! :)