Sirius Streaming?

diavlo

Reaction score
Anyone know of an app where I can stream my sirius radio???

saxmaster45

Reaction score
No

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I think that may be impossible with the Droid's hardware. Sirius radios have an antenna specifically made to tap into the Sirius satellites. Droid has an antenna for phone towers (calls and 3G data), bluetooth devices, wi-fi, and GPS, but not for Satellite Radio.

However, there are plenty of apps (like Pandora) that can stream music from the internet for free. Check those out.

brubakes

Reaction score
I know you can stream XM/Sirius over a web page or via an app on iPhone if you pay an additional charge to your Sirius account. I don't know of an app like this for the Driod though at this time.

jbr13

Reaction score
You might not even need an app. Sign in to your account online and you can stream audio, I do that at home on my PC all the time.

Stigy

Reaction score
I don't believe there is currently a mobile solution for the Android platform for XM/Sirius radio streaming.

The XM/Sirius website says that Verizon is not currently supported so that leads me to believe that as of right now, you can't. I think the website uses Flash for its streaming page so we wouldn't be able to access it on our device.

Please correct me if I am wrong though.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
theres gotta be a way... a buddy of mine that has a winmo phone has a sirius streaming app on there that he uses all the time...

and yes he is on verizon wireless..... if it can be written for windows i dont see why it would be an issue for android.

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I think that may be impossible with the Droid's hardware. Sirius radios have an antenna specifically made to tap into the Sirius satellites. Droid has an antenna for phone towers (calls and 3G data), bluetooth devices, wi-fi, and GPS, but not for Satellite Radio.

However, there are plenty of apps (like Pandora) that can stream music from the internet for free. Check those out.

You might not even need an app. Sign in to your account online and you can stream audio, I do that at home on my PC all the time.

I don't believe there is currently a mobile solution for the Android platform for XM/Sirius radio streaming.

The XM/Sirius website says that Verizon is not currently supported so that leads me to believe that as of right now, you can't. I think the website uses Flash for its streaming page so we wouldn't be able to access it on our device.

These posts are LOL.

1. Any device with internet access and an installation of FLASH 9 or later can technically stream XM/Sirius radio from their website. There used to be other webpages that didn't require flash but XM/Sirius updated some things about their web stream and those sites no longer work.

2. The only problem with this is FLASH. DROID still doesn't have full FLASH support yet, so until we do, this won't be an option.

3. VzW has nothing to do with it. I've been streaming XM on my WinMo phone for a good 1.5 years now without problem (and without running up my data plan).

There used to be two major contenders in the WinMo apps; uSirius (StarPlayr) and C-Aspiro. StarPlayr closed shop so they could sell their rights to an Apple exclusive market and C-Aspiro stopped updating the app (but it still works).

There are a few threads around the internet with obvious interest in creating something. The biggest problem that i've consistently run across is that there is currently no way to accept an .asf stream in Android (no codec support). So the concept of developing the app is simple, but cannot be completed until someone supports the codec.

Stigy

Reaction score

These posts are LOL.

1. Any device with internet access and an installation of FLASH 9 or later can technically stream XM/Sirius radio from their website. There used to be other webpages that didn't require flash but XM/Sirius updated some things about their web stream and those sites no longer work.

2. The only problem with this is FLASH. DROID still doesn't have full FLASH support yet, so until we do, this won't be an option.

3. VzW has nothing to do with it. I've been streaming XM on my WinMo phone for a good 1.5 years now without problem (and without running up my data plan).

There used to be two major contenders in the WinMo apps; uSirius (StarPlayr) and C-Aspiro. StarPlayr closed shop so they could sell their rights to an Apple exclusive market and C-Aspiro stopped updating the app (but it still works).

There are a few threads around the internet with obvious interest in creating something. The biggest problem that i've consistently run across is that there is currently no way to accept an .asf stream in Android (no codec support). So the concept of developing the app is simple, but cannot be completed until someone supports the codec.

I don't see how my post is so funny?

I simply stated that there currently is NO implementation to stream Sirius/XM on an Android device...

If you click on Verizon on the XM/Sirius website it says there currently is no solution for the carrier, which means there is NO official way to do it on Verizon...

AND I also stated (maybe in another thread) that Android currently does not have Flash support and that the Sirius/XM stream ON their website uses Flash so therefore would not work right now...

There was no false or funny information in my post...

Silver Member
Reaction score

These posts are LOL.

I don't see how my post is so funny?

I simply stated that there currently is NO implementation to stream Sirius/XM on an Android device...

If you click on Verizon on the XM/Sirius website it says there currently is no solution for the carrier, which means there is NO official way to do it on Verizon...

AND I also stated (maybe in another thread) that Android currently does not have Flash support and that the Sirius/XM stream ON their website uses Flash so therefore would not work right now...

There was no false or funny information in my post...
defensive much?

The XM/Sirius website says that Verizon is not currently supported so that leads me to believe that as of right now, you can't.
vzw has nothing to do with how xm/sirius allows you to connect to their content. it just so happens (like you said) that there's no official implementation. but your earlier, blanket statement that because vzw has no solution, that it wasn't possible was incorrect.
I think the website uses Flash for its streaming page so we wouldn't be able to access it on our device.
if you browse to their website and try to stream using their website, then yes, android currently does not support flash, so this is not an option. however, it IS possible to stream from xm/sirius without flash (as many applications are already doing). the shortcoming here is that there is no .asf support in andoird either, again making a solution difficult.

not sure why you're defensive about my post. I was merely clarifying a few things for the OP.

Stigy

Reaction score
not sure why you're defensive about my post. I was merely clarifying a few things for the OP.

I wasn't trying to come off as defensive...

I was just trying to understand why you gave my post an LOL

None of my information was actually incorrect, just stating the information gathered on the XM/Sirius websites and from my current knowledge.

Thank you though for letting me know about .asf stream as I didn't know about this. Does the asf stream require you to purchase that $2.99/monthly internet streaming charge?

Silver Member
Reaction score
you have to have an account to get any internet stream, so yes. the old site xmradio.com/radio (i think), used this method. any solution that you use that's not uSirius or xm's website will use the asf stream and your login information is sent over in clear text.

Stigy

Reaction score
you have to have an account to get any internet stream, so yes. the old site xmradio.com/radio (i think), used this method. any solution that you use that's not uSirius or xm's website will use the asf stream and your login information is sent over in clear text.
Only reason I asked is because now to stream (via the website, or XMicroPlayer which is the desktop client) you need to pay $2.99/month for their internet streaming service.

Silver Member
Reaction score
Only reason I asked is because now to stream (via the website, or XMicroPlayer which is the desktop client) you need to pay $2.99/month for their internet streaming service.
sorry, i don't know if i made that clear enough. you need an account in order to login to sirius/xm. whether that is a 30 day free trial or a paid monthly subscription, but you need to have an account.

and if you have an actual radio, you need to pay for the internet services in order to listen online (which is that $2.99/mo).

i think if they were smart(er), they should develop more applications for more devices to open up their services to a broader range of people.

Stigy

Reaction score
Okay well I asked becuase I have an XM account for the radio in my car that costs x.xx/monthly (not sure exactly).

BUT if I wanted to listen online or via XMicroPlayer on my desktop it would require me to pay AN EXTRA $2.99/monthly for the "internet streaming" package.

That was what my question was regarding the .asf stream, but I think I answered it myself since the XMicroPlayer probably uses the asf stream and the extra $2.99/monthly is required for that to work.

Silver Member
Reaction score
i have XM, but I grandfathered myself into the one year plan with internet for "free" until that expires. if i can't come up with a solution for android by the time that expires, i'll probably just cancel it.