Signature verification failed while installing update.zip

warrior21

Reaction score
I am a big fan of UD roms but the great thing about rooting is you can try them all and see what works best with your phone. Before you flash any ROMS make sure you do a nandroid back up so you can always flash back to the way it is right now if anything goes wrong. Visit the custom ROMS section and enjoy. Even if you don't use a custom ROM you should flash a custom kernel so you can overclock

OP
ajk23az

ajk23az

Reaction score
I am a big fan of UD roms but the great thing about rooting is you can try them all and see what works best with your phone. Before you flash any ROMS make sure you do a nandroid back up so you can always flash back to the way it is right now if anything goes wrong. Visit the custom ROMS section and enjoy. Even if you don't use a custom ROM you should flash a custom kernel so you can overclock

What do you have your phone overclocked too? Also which kernal are you using?

warrior21

Reaction score
Right now I'm using the slayher 1.2ghz kernel. I have had good results with the p3 kernels and the chevyno1 kernels also. Start with one of the 800mhz kernels and work your way up from there. Not every droid is able to be overclocked to the same speeds so you will have to find out what your phone can handle. Just remember the more you are overclocked the faster your battery will drain so you have to find a happy medium. Me personally, I love the speed and can't bring myself to go lower.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Right now I'm using UD 8.0 with Chevy's lv slot7 1ghz.
Before this I had Metickone's FRG22D Deodexed Blackbar with the Chevy 1ghz
And before that I was frg22d stock with Chevy.

Going to try a few more.

Preliminary testing shows UD 10-20°F hotter than Metickone's ROM.

Everything has gone smoothly for me. Been rooted about a month. GET TITANIUM BACKUP! Its a lifesaver for app and system data restoration.

Also, right after you put an update.zip in your sd root, reboot into sprecovery and backup backup backup!
I do one right after I make sure the setup is stable.

Happy ROM'ing!

-Droid Does

OP
ajk23az

ajk23az

Reaction score
Right now I'm using the slayher 1.2ghz kernel. I have had good results with the p3 kernels and the chevyno1 kernels also. Start with one of the 800mhz kernels and work your way up from there. Not every droid is able to be overclocked to the same speeds so you will have to find out what your phone can handle. Just remember the more you are overclocked the faster your battery will drain so you have to find a happy medium. Me personally, I love the speed and can't bring myself to go lower.

Gotcha.

One more question, do I delete the update.zip file I used to root my phone now? Since the kernal file I am going to flash in is also called update.zip.

What do I do there?

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you don't have the original saved I would save it as a different filename. Just in case.

-Droid Does

OP
ajk23az

ajk23az

Reaction score
If you don't have the original saved I would save it as a different filename. Just in case.

-Droid Does

Ok. So once I am in SPrecovery and I have one named update.zip (the root file) and the kernal file named (update1.zip) it will give me the option to install either one of those?

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
No. It only does update.zip. no update1.zip
Always flash rom before kernel.
Once the rom is up and running, wipe that update.zip and put the kernel on the sd root and rename update.zip.
Boot into sprecovery do a nandroid backup then install kernel same way as rom.
If you are solid after testing reboot into sprecovery and do another nandroid backup.
If you are fancy you can go into the sdcard and rename the backup folders with something that will tell you what they are (eg UG80todaysdate or UG801ghztodaysdate).
Can never be too safe.

I'm going to bed! Good luck!

-Droid Does

laker_42

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I had the same issues the OP had so I was able to follow your instructions to flash the SPRecovery onto my Droid. Once it was done, I did a backup. When I rebooted, it says no service, doesn't recognize that there is any battery left, won't charge & just keeps rebooting.

Any ideas what is going on???

Thanks,
John

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You made a backup but did you flash update.zip?

-Droid Does

laker_42

Reaction score
I ended up getting it to work. I flashed back to stock and then started over.

Thanks,
John