Signal Jamming

Cattledog1969

Reaction score
I was at a concert last night and before we went inside we had a strong 3-4 bar 4G signal. The concert was at an outdoor amphitheater, once inside we were all trying to "Check In" in on facebook upload photos and other such nonsense. None of us could get the 4G signal or even 3G, basically no internet connection.

After the show and back outside in the parking lots just a few hundred feet from the outdoor amphitheater we had full strength 4G signals.

My question, would, could, should anyone be stopping the signals on the inside to prevent the possible live streaming of the events and activities at the concert? And is this even possible?

electricman58

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
"ROOTED" Droid Turbo
San Francisco cops jammed cell phones during Occupy Wallstreet, so YEA, its very well possible. Illegal, don't know, I'm not a lawyer! Lol Google it, it might give you more info!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

OP
Cattledog1969

Cattledog1969

Reaction score
electricman58 said:
San Francisco cops jammed cell phones during Occupy Wallstreet, so YEA, its very well possible. Illegal, don't know, I'm not a lawyer! Lol Google it, it might give you more info!

If I remember correctly the BART turned off the power to the communications tower. That was pretty straight forward, pull the plug and the phones stop working. This would have been concentrated to one small area without affecting outside customers.

It's probably a coincidence, I don't think "The Man" anywhere, except maybe in China would do something like that.

I was just wondering if its even possible to block cellular services in a small concentrated region without affecting surrounding areas. I've only heard of this sort of stuff in Hollywood movies, but it does make me wonder.

electricman58

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
"ROOTED" Droid Turbo
You can buy a portable handheld cell jammer right now online!!! No joke! But it still could have been any number of things also, I. E. Weak signal, all the interference from the concert equipment, who knows? Lol you'll probably never know!

electricman58

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
"ROOTED" Droid Turbo
I just Googled (handheld cell phone jammer) its right there on the top of the search!! There out there!!! You can be jammed, its not Hollywood anymore! :-D

nikecar

Reaction score
Universities use it. why the big deal?

0/10 would not read again

you can get a waiver. However, if there is an emergency and your location blocks cells, then that can be an issue. If I'm in a location that i'm not aware is jamming and my family elsewhere has an accident or something and authorities are desperately trying to get in touch with me, i'd be pissed that they weren't able to reach me.

When BART shut down cell service, i believe there were lawsuits filed on the issue, which prompted BART to clarify the policy and under what circumstances it can be used.