Should I have got a GPS unit instead?

Macdiver

Reaction score
Guyz,

I got my phone yesterday. It's my first smartphone. I am retiring at the end of June and assumed that I could use the phone to travel with to look up hotels and restaurants. I want to be able to locate a town ahead, say 30 miles away, and see what was available. Are there software or apps that will show things like that or will I have to get a GPS unit to do those kinds of things?

Thanks!

:unsure:

WallyIAm

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Welcome to the smartphone world. You don't need a separate GPS unit. If you open google maps, push a point on it (say, the next city), and then tap the icon in the upper left, you are given the option to search for places. You can find restaurants, bars, hotels, etc. Probably not the easiest to do while driving, but a guy can always pull over.

I'm sure there are other apps that will do the same thing.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Macdiver said:
Thanks!

*that's why I bought a wife to go with the phone*

That was hysterical!

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

OP
Macdiver

Macdiver

Reaction score
Ok, I tried the installed Navigation app and that seems to just be directions like looking at a map. I called Verizon and they said there is VZ Navigator but there is a $5 monthy fee for that.

Edit: Duh,there are apps in the store. I was getting bummed and kinda panicky about the phone and didn't look there. Any recommendations on any?

Last edited:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
You definitely do not need to subscribe to vz navigator. Google navigation works as good if not better. I use it so much, I do it without thinking but I will do I test run and report back with a few step by steps.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Ok, here goes...
-open Google maps, it will pinpoint and zoom into your current location on the map.
-in the top left corner, click on the (touch) map icon and it will give you several options, one which is "places"
-in "places" you can select restaurants, shopping, etc.
-while in "places" you can open the phone menu and select "add a search" to add different types of places that you most likely would look for such as pizza, gas stations, ATM's, hotels, etc.
-select what you are looking for (ie. Hotels) and you will be given a list of all the hotels in the near vicinity. By default it lists closest ones first but you can also sort by price, rating, neighborhoods (which will then give you a list of nearby towns).
-once you decide which place you want to go to, when you select it, you will be given details about the place and choices of whether you want directions, a map, or if you want to call the place.
-if you want to navigate to that place, select directions, on the next screen on bottom right select "get directions"
-on the next map showing the route, select the "navigate" blue arrow in the top right and you will get street by street directions.

The possibilities of what you can do are almost endless.

WallyIAm

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Very nice writeup.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Thanks Wally. Some of these things are so automatic for me, I don't even think about it. I have to deliberately go step by step to figure out exactly what it is I do. It really is a complete travel guide though.

OP
Macdiver

Macdiver

Reaction score
Wow, that is just what I was looking for. Thanks, I'll check that out.

While I was messing with the Navigators and stuff I enabled all kinds of stuff like HTC Location Service, Verizon Location Service an others or maybe they were already running. I shut down and restatred thinking that it would set the running apps back to default but not so. I don't know what should be running and not. Is there a site that will tell me what the defaults are? I"m thinking I can just force them to shut down. That ok?

Whadda noob!

I learned to build computers; I guess I can eventually learn to use a dang smart phone........ *Now, where did they hide msconfig.......*

Thing is I don't trust the peeps at the Verizon store too much to give me good advise.

:blink:

Last edited:

WallyIAm

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Thing is I don't trust the peeps at the Verizon store too much to give me good advise.

You'll get the hang of these things. Your instinct is accurate.

WallyIAm

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Thanks Wally. Some of these things are so automatic for me, I don't even think about it. I have to deliberately go step by step to figure out exactly what it is I do. It really is a complete travel guide though.

A couple of other benefits vs. a standalone GPS came to mind.

1. Streetview in maps. Want to see what your destination will look like? Done.
2. Google updates their maps; GPS companies want you to pay to update your map pack.

OP
Macdiver

Macdiver

Reaction score
Sheez, the Google site says Location Unavailable. Wonder why that could be. All the services are running. VZW Loc Serv, Standalone and google Loc Service. Hmmmm.

Last edited:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Macdiver said:
Sheez, the Google site says Location Unavailable. Wonder why that could be. All the services are running. VZW Loc Serv, Standalone and google Loc Service. Hmmmm.

Is your data on? You need both GPS location services and data (3g, 4g or Wi-Fi) for Google maps or navigation to work. The GPS grabs your location from the satellites (I know you already know this) and the data loads the maps from cyber space (I didn't initially know this and couldn't figure out for a long time why sometimes my navigation didn't work).

Could also be poor signal or if you're in a building sometimes it works faster to walk outside to lock onto satellites and once locked on,will work in the building, depending on the building.